• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat pipe + water cooling = new (?) cooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFriz

Hey all, I had an idea for a new CPU cooling system, but I'm new to the forums (and probably a terrible writer), so bear with me.

My idea is, in a nutshell, to fill a water cooling system (without the pump) with the same liquid found inside heat pipe. This is rather vague, so i'll summarize the whole system just to make it clearer.

-The CPU heats up the 'water' block and the liquid inside
-This liquid then boils, and is forced up to the outlet
-The outlet then leads to a pipe which goes to a fan/radiator at the back of the case
-The fan/radiator cool the gas back to a liquid at room temperature
-The liquid pools in a reservoir (perhaps? perhaps not?)
-The liquid is then pushed by gravity back to the inlet and into the 'water' block
-Start cycle over without blowing something up.

I haven't taken thermodynamics yet, so I have no idea if it would work/be efficient, but what do you guys think?

Hey all, I had an idea for a new CPU cooling system, but I'm new to the forums (and probably a terrible writer), so bear with me.

My idea is, in a nutshell, to fill a water cooling system (without the pump) with the same liquid found inside heat pipe. This is rather vague, so i'll summarize the whole system just to make it clearer.

-The CPU heats up the 'water' block and the liquid inside
-This liquid then boils, and is forced up to the outlet
-The outlet then leads to a pipe which goes to a fan/radiator at the back of the case
-The fan/radiator cool the gas back to a liquid at room temperature
-The liquid pools in a reservoir (perhaps? perhaps not?)
-The liquid is then pushed by gravity back to the inlet and into the 'water' block
-Start cycle over without blowing something up.

I haven't taken thermodynamics yet, so I have no idea if it would work/be efficient, but what do you guys think?

The fluid in a heat pipe is...wait for it...water! It's just under a vacuum lowering the temperature at which it changes states...thus making it effective (useful) in a heat pipe. They boil at a lower temp.

Think about your car...ever wonder why you have a radiator cap that has a PSI rating? Because that system is pressurized so the water doesn't biol at 212f.

More pressure, higher boiling point...less pressure, lower boiling point...but water none the less.

The water would have to be under negative preasure. Otherwise it needs to be heated to 100C to start evaporating and by then your CPU is fried.

I think this is how cooling works already...

Last edited:
It's not always water... though i guess i should have mentioned that it usually is. and this is already how heat pipes work. But my idea was supposed to have a few key points that i would think would make it better:

-move the liquid farther from the heat source
-increase heat transfer from CPU to water by increasing surface area (as opposed to regular heat pipes)
-increase heat transfer to air by using a higher quality radiator instead of a heat sink.
-plus the heat pipes would be cheaper because they wouldn't need the capillaries and such to move the liquid back, it's just gravity driven.

Are these 'improvements' of minimal impact that they wouldn't make a difference?

Last edited:
It's not always water... though i guess i should have mentioned that it usually is. and this is already how heat pipes work. But my idea was supposed to have a few key points that i would think would make it better:

-move the liquid farther from the heat source
-increase heat transfer from CPU to water by increasing surface area (as opposed to regular heat pipes)
-increase heat transfer to air by using a higher quality radiator instead of a heat sink.
-plus the heat pipes would be cheaper because they wouldn't need the capillaries and such to move the liquid back, it's just gravity driven.

Are these 'improvements' of minimal impact that they wouldn't make a difference?

I'm so lost. Why not simply get a single stage.

I read this as: can I use a water cooling loop with no pump? The answer is no. You've literally just presented this idea of a system driven by evaporation that has no phase changes.

Dude, 8 years ago I designed a weapon that would use synchronized electromagnets to fire rounds at extremely high speeds.

I then designed a similar one that used two rails to channel the electricity through the projectile with a similar effect but with less complex operation and higher velocity due to pressurized plasma building up behind the projectile.

Turns out they had already been invented. The gauss drive however....that is another story.

Last edited:
Dude, 8 years ago I designed a weapon that would use synchronized electromagnets to fire rounds at extremely high speeds.

I then designed a similar one that used two rails to channel the electricity through the projectile with a similar effect but with less complex operation and higher velocity due to pressurized plasma building up behind the projectile.

Turns out they had already been invented. The gauss drive however....that is another story.

Sorry...but I don't see the relevance here?

Just because you have an idea doesn't mean you are the first one to have it. I am saying that someone has probably already tried a gravity fed water cooling system.

oh...well...no, not really. It's just not a practical functional idea...the closest you'll see to gravity driven watercooling is heatpipes, which only work cause they're under pressure and that's convection driven...you'd get terrible flow with a true gravity driven watercooling system (or you'd have an obnoxiously large system you'd need to add inordinate amounts of heat to just to get it to reach the top with convection.

oh...well...no, not really. It's just not a practical functional idea...the closest you'll see to gravity driven watercooling is heatpipes, which only work cause they're under pressure and that's convection driven...you'd get terrible flow with a true gravity driven watercooling system (or you'd have an obnoxiously large system you'd need to add inordinate amounts of heat to just to get it to reach the top with convection.

Yep, and this is why we don't use them (assuming someone HAS invented them before). The design is just too impractical when compaired to heatpipes.

Back