• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glossy and Matte Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doco

so i just purchased a samsung bx2431 monitor and i was already doing some reading on matte vs glossy monitors. so basically glossy monitors would fit someone who mainly plays games and watches movies in a dark room most of the time, right? but for someone who does graphics design/video editing/photoshop/works in an office with bright light, matte would be the choice for them, right?

Matte is good if you have any source of light from behind you. Generally I prefer matte, but my laptop is glossy and I've manged to get used to it in most situations. Glossy will more likely get on your nerves due to reflections on the screen (especially if you can't adjust the screen's position).

Glossy shows smudges and reflections much more readily. I wouldn't use one under any circumstances.

Glossy shows smudges and reflections much more readily. I wouldn't use one under any circumstances.

They've recently come out with this thing called cleaning the screen and not smudging it. :fight: :santa:

Matte screens are great for reading text, viewing things like spreadsheets, web sites, general office environment stuff.

For home use unless the purpose was purely as a workstation I would avoid a matte screen personally.

Also if you have to place the unit somewhere that you absolutely can not avoid bright overhead lighting, ie an office, or lots of reflections, you should go matte IMO.

They've recently come out with this thing called cleaning the screen and not smudging it. :fight: :santa:

Tell that to my cats ;)

edit: Hell there's one there now just waiting to rub on the monitor :p

Attachments

• smudgemonster.jpg
    smudgemonster.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back