• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Failed and Looking for Something New - Advice Appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diaa

Quick Overview

Budget: $1,000 (I'm flexible)
Use: Gaming, Photoshop, Web Development, and some Adobe Premiere work
Type: I'm open to multiple monitors or a single massive ultra wide
Graphics Card: GTX 980

Current Setup

Far Left Monitor (Vertical): Dell P2310H
Center Monitor: Dell U3011, purchased in 2012
Far Right Monitor: Dell U3011, purchased in 2014 (recently failed)

Background
Despite owning a surge protector, my beloved U3011 dyed as a result of a thunderstorm. I figured this might be an opportunity for me to rethink my current setup (which is noted above), especially considering the upcoming Amazon Prime Sale (as well as all of the companies competing with deals).

On one hand, I am open to purchasing another U3011 to replace the failed monitor. I enjoy the 16x10 aspect ratio, and used versions of the monitor are going for about $400. However, I can see that I'd be paying a premium for 16x10, and this as an opportunity for me to modernize my setup.

I have heard good things about ultra wide monitors, and it is something that might be a good fit my for usecase. Aesthetics are also important to me, and so having a single, large, and high quality monitor sounds very appealing.With that said, I am also mindful that I would be working with fewer pixels, and as a design professional, I have grown to love the 16x10 pixel ratio multiplied by two thirty inch monitors side by side.

What do you think?

Would it be a waste to get rid of my current U3011 and P231OH for a single ultra wide? If not, have any monitor suggestions? I am looking at these ultra wide monitors, but I am very open to suggestions (I included the price as reference, though I have yet to really hunt for any good deals):

Dell U3818DW: $981
Dell U3417W: $699
LG 38UC99 : $908
LG 34UC98-W : $837.42
Samsung C34F791: $749
Samsung LC49HG90DMNXZA: $899 (1080p resolution is a major downer)

Thank you!

Last edited:
For your gaming, make sure the games support ultra wide screen resolutions.

For working, keep in mind that with a 16:9, you can split screen your windows (Win+Arrow Left/Right) and they will fit perfectly side by side, especially when you have 4k resolution. I would recommend something like a pair of Dell U2718Q (~$410/each) with ultra slim bezels.

I perform a bit of graphics/CAD/motion tracking at work and I prefer to have all my nodes/explorer on one screen, and the main window with quad views on the second. I have seen other professionals stack dual 27" monitors top/bottom in landscape. That method may be more natural than having to turn your head to scan 6' of monitors.

I would highly recommend 4k resolution. Do not go for 27" if you have aging eyesight, as the PPI is quite dense (but great for gaming as it looks smooth/beautiful)

Budget option:

Purchase three of these along with monitor arms, place all three in portrait: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...LC-_-na-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16824011180&cm_sp=

https://www.amazon.com/North-Bayou-...F8&qid=1531747785&sr=8-6&keywords=monitor+arm

Interesting - thank you! Have any preference between the Dell U3818DW and LG 38UC99?

Those specs are incredible, but since discovering 38" monitors, I'm leaning towards those. Since I'd be giving up my current 30" monitor (in addition to the one that fried), I'm eager to regain as many pixels as possible.

Those specs are incredible, but since discovering 38" monitors, I'm leaning towards those. Since I'd be giving up my current 30" monitor (in addition to the one that fried), I'm eager to regain as many pixels as possible.

The reason I mention it is because G-Sync monitors will match their refresh rate to your NVIDIA GPU's FPS output while you're in game, so you don't get any screen tearing or stutters.
There's quite a few of them out there, my first thought was the Alienware given your budget and previous usage of Dell monitors.

To my knowledge Dell is one of the few people making a monitor with G-Sync which is still an IPS. This will benefit your Photoshop work due to more accurate color reproduction.

My qualms about Ultrawide monitors is that they take 4k resolution and lop off the top/bottom to get you the "widescreen". Another issue is that they are curved. Curved is great for gaming/movie viewing, but when I'm drawing/designing, the straight lines need to be straight, especially if I'm also showing the design to coworkers/clients. Have you looked at a single 43" 4k screen?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...ref=p13n_snp_results_mv&c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

It is still wider than your 38" "ultrawide" options, with more pixels vertically.

Back