• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed new cpu and ram and now having problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

ok so i install my new 1090t today :bday: with some new 4gb patriot 2000mhz ram :bday: also a new psu
and it started up perfectly went into the bios checked everything
and restarted and it says booting OS from cd/dvd disk then says disk boot failure
waits a little then says i need to enter a disk. :screwy:
i went in the bios set the prioty to the hdd and still says the same thing
the only thing i can think of that might have screwed it up is me taking out the 320gb drive i had just sitting in there..(windows is installed on both drives)
any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Yes, double check your HDD connections, without a doubt. Do you see the actual OS drive in the hard drive list? Usually you will have a list of every drive that is attached to the computer in BIOS, or at least the POST screen. Make sure your proper OS drive is showing up please.

Yes, double check your HDD connections, without a doubt. Do you see the actual OS drive in the hard drive list? Usually you will have a list of every drive that is attached to the computer in BIOS, or at least the POST screen. Make sure your proper OS drive is showing up please.

its there
also is set as my boot device so i dont know
the only thing i can think is back when i had the 320gb drive in (which was my old OS drive) it asked me which drive i wanted to boot from and i always picked the 1tb one which is the one that is in it now so idk
if i cant figure it out il just do a reinstall i guess

Sounds like the boot manager is looking for the old drive. You will likely need to edit the boot.ini file?

the suggestion above sounds like the answer however is it possible that the controller mode was changed from IDE to ACHI or vise versa?

I was able to find the microsoft answers post on your particular problem to fix the boot.ini . I can offer a little insight on this subject which is honestly if that simple post doesn't do the trick don't try any method that involves using partition magic. The time I had this issue I ended up last resorting to PM and completely borked the partitions needing to start from scratch and losing a bunch of time attempting to recover. Of course it was my own fault for letting a old IDE drive of mine become the boot drive when it was only used for non essential storage due to age anyways.

well plugged in my other hdd..gave me the option to pick drives i picked the 1 tb and it worked....my mobo loves this 320gb

Back