• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Reaching 300Mbps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NismoZ

I need some help with the settings needed to reach 300Mbps.

I have a Linksys E3000 Router (latest firmware) and an Intel 5300 N card (latest drivers) on my Dell 1501 with windows 7 x64. The Intel card has 3 antennas, 2 running up into the LCD and 1 running under the keyboard.

Currently, I am getting around 130Mbps (with drops to 70s) and occasionally 144Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. The laptop sees the 5GHz band network, but I cannot join it for some reason. I know the 5GHz band works, because my xbox can join this network. How can I get the laptop/Intel 5300 to join the 5GHz band? I would guess this may be the reason I am not getting 300Mbps.

Also, what settings on the router do I need to get 300Mbps? (Channels, Width etc) There are also settings in device manager for the network card as well.

Thanks for the help!.....

AFAIK, the 5xxx series are not simultaneous dual-band. They'll work in either, but not both at the same time. Open device manager, go to the properties of the wireless adapter, and see if there's an option to set it to 5GHz-only.

I switched to WPA2/WPA Mixed security(from WPA2 Personal), and it connected to the 5GHz band. It only did 54Mbps though... None of those settings produced anything faster.

Why did I have to switch from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA Mixed mode to get a connection? On 2.4GHz, the WPA2 only setting worked and connected at 144Mbps.

Also, I had to switch the windows network properties to TKIP to connect. AES would not work. However, AES works on 2.4GHz no problem with 144Mbps.

What can I do to correct this and get 300Mbps?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 129
Do you have direct line of site between the router and the laptop, nothing inbetween?

2.4GHz penetrates objects better than 5GHz, so if there is stuff in the way you might be getting stronger signal in the 2.4GHz band.

Just a theory on the tkip vs AES is that AES requires more processing power so when you switched to tkip there was more processing available to do error correction and signal processing which just tipped the scales in favor of you being able to connect.

130-144 Mbps isn't bad though, that is pretty typical for wireless N.

There was nothing in the way. Thanks for the suggestion, understandible.

Thanks for your replys guys. My problem is that with the 5GHz band, my network card will not join with AES. However, I can join 5GHz with TKIP. But this is limiting me to 54Mbps.
This doesn't make sense to me, because I am on the 2.4GHz band with AES, no problem.

Back