• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely weird case with shopping from Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

So on 11/24/2010, I ordered a number of items from newegg.
It included a HDTV and a GPS.

Since it was Thanksgiving, I expect it to be a few days late.

Before the items were even shipped, the GPS dropped further in price. From my past experience, newegg was always so nice to refund me the price difference if the item I ordered had not been shipped.

So on 11/27, I emailed them and asked that. No reply...ever.

Later on 11/27/2010, I received two separated emails at the same time to give me two separated tracking numbers. So it seems the TV and GPS were shipped from two different locations, thus they were in two separated packages. No surprise there.

I checked the tracking status immediately, and found the TV was not on the way yet, but the GPS was...on 11/27.

On 11/29, which was this Monday, according to the tracking status, the the package contains the GPS was already in Michigan which is where I live. So I expected it to be delivered either on Monday or no later than Tuesday.

I waited and waited. Nothing was delivered on Monday. Nothing was delivered on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the TV had arrived which was actually behind the GPS on shipping schedule the whole time. But the GPS was...still not delivered. According to the tracking status, the GPS package was sitting in Michigan and did not move for 3 full days.

By the way, on 11/30, I emailed newegg again,
No reply...ever

So on Wednesday evening, I checked the tracking status again.

ALL old tracking record was erased under this very same tracking number.
Instead, the link showed that a GPS was shipped on 11/29, and at that moment it was in KY instead of MI. :shock:

Since it had been a week since I ordered the items, I emailed newegg again to ask for it. And I mentioned that I had not received it in a week, and the price became cheaper even before it was shipped.

No reply ... ever.

Three emails during the course of a week, with 0 reply. Very unusual for the excellent service of newegg I've used since 2002.

On Thursday, it had finally arrived.

But check the latest tracking status
Usually it always starts with "Billing information received".
THEN, "original scan".

Yet, the original scan was 11/27, the billing was 11/29.
http://www.newegg.com/Info/TrackOrder.aspx?TrackingNumber=1ZX799331237295482

Do you see a problem? This is actually the "new" tracking status. The original set of status that had the item arrived in MI on 11/29 was gone, because it was edited...I didn't print it before it was edited and I had refreshed it on the same page naturally...to see the update status before I saw the original status was totally edited.

So according to the original tracking status, the item was indeed scanned on 11/27, and by 11/29 it had already arrived in MI. But somehow, it had to be reshipped, and someone edited the entire tracking status, and this someone had messed it up and forgot to erase the original scan date which suppose to be after the billing date but instead the billing was 2 days after the shipping date.

I was finally able to talk to a newegg representative in online chat just now, and she was kind enough to refund the price difference for the GPS, and of course she has no proof of what really happened with the completely edited new tracking status. She can only assume someone made a mistake on the "origin scan" date....but

I know what I saw. If it was simply the origin scan date was wrong, then it would be no biggie. But ... I know what I saw, the whole set of status was completely edited... From 11/29, 11/30, 12/1, all 3 days had the package sitting in MI...until these status were replaced into the item was not shipped until 11/29.

Please try not to laugh.
Since we are foreigners, my family is paranoid that we've been watched and some FBI agent with GPA of 2.0 tried to install a bug into the GPS to track our movement, but his lack of skills had damaged the GPS by accident, so a new one had to be sent. :eek:

The unusual behavior of newegg for not replying 3 of my emails over the course of a week had me wonder. :shrug:

I've been shopping at newegg since 2002. Spent easily over 5 digits. I always had good experience with them. I hope they didn't sell themselves out to FBI or other "have nothing else to do" agencies. :D

thats hella wierd in any case i only talk to the online reps there good at helping. And i sure hope they werent trying to bug your gps. That would be horrible to find out they were doing that.

Weird but really did that make a difference to what you expected from a delivery point of view? You still got your stuff within the 3 days....freight companies do all sorts of things to optimize their routes and minimize cost.

I have seen bad UPS tracking data mysteriously disappear over the years...

It's impossible to really know without having access to UPS internal info. what really transpired. I'd be willing to go on record as stating that I am 99.99999% confident the FBI/CIA/KGB/NASA/Santa Claus/Tiger Woods is not tracking you on this GPS order. ;)

Weird but really did that make a difference to what you expected from a delivery point of view? You still got your stuff within the 3 days....freight companies do all sorts of things to optimize their routes and minimize cost.

Not 3 days.

Exactly date of ordering was 11/24/2010. Exactly date of delivery was 12/2/2010.

I have seen bad UPS tracking data mysteriously disappear over the years...

It's impossible to really know without having access to UPS internal info. what really transpired. I'd be willing to go on record as stating that I am 99.99999% confident the FBI/CIA/KGB/NASA/Santa Claus/Tiger Woods is not tracking you on this GPS order. ;)
I would think that any agency try to track me must be a failed agency lol.

I have had the same thing happen with tracking info from Newegg and other company's. I'm not sure if its a shipper error? or Newegg error? Either way.. Your best bet is to call them over the phone. Its always the best and fastest way to get support.

Apparently the issue wasn't that serious after all if you didn't feel the need to call them. I think it's only fair to acknowledge that.

Last edited:
I've had UPS do crazy stuff on me a couple of times. One that sticks in my mind was the time about a year ago that I ordered a watch from walmart.com and it was to be delivered by UPS. I watched it online on the UPS tracking deal get within 50 miles of my house (south Louisiana) and then get shipped up to New York.:shock: I called UPS up and had them check what the hell was going on and they not only shipped it up there by mistake, the package gorillas smashed it to kingdom come and I had to get walmart.com to send me another watch.:rain: So in your case, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the package gorillas got a hold of your GPS and smashed it too, or at least sent it on a tour of the USA to see if it really worked or something.:shrug:

Sounds like error on UPSs part. More then likely, someone scanned the package with the wrong routing information, which shows your package going to MI, when it really wasn't. Finally, after a few days, when the package was rescanned, is when the information was updated. Nothing out of the norm in their system, other then someone screwing up.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that you need to call Newegg if you want the customer service they are known for. Emailing pretty much never has the same results.

i don't really see an issue here other than the tracking being screwy. I've had instances like this happen before with UPS. Sometimes it seems like they recycle tracking numbers and i've loaded them up to see my packages were delivered 15 states away, 2 years before. I would've expected your packages to ship on friday the 26th, but unfortunately you placed the order right before what is effectively a 4 day weekend for the entire country. So shipping on monday isn't entirely out of the ordinary. then being delivered within 5 days isn't too bad either.

I think their customer service has just been swamped. I just got two replies today.

I always thought it was very good too in the past 8 years.

So it was weird when none of my 3 emails was ever replied.

I always thought it was very good too in the past 8 years.

So it was weird when none of my 3 emails was ever replied.

Hello OC101,

I'm sorry to hear about your shipping issue but I'm glad to hear that you contacted us and a chat agent was able to refund the shipping cost.

As for the lack of response from your emails, this is completely unacceptable. I can only speculate why this occurred but I encourage you contact me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062 at [email protected] or pm me. I'll be more than able to take care of you.

Thanks,

Newegg.com

Back