• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid0 noob question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ContactNeo

Registered
Hey Guys :bday:

Probably a silly question but I intend to have my first attempt at creating a raid0 array and I will be using two 500GB 7200 Barracuda`s on my Asus Maximus iii Formula Board...

A couple of questions...
Will this effectively give me 1TB (not exactly, obviously) of space?
and,
Will I be better off speed wise to connect to the `normal` black sata ports and NOT the Red `speeding HDD` sockets?

I read somewhere that there would actually be a loss of speed if I use the speeding Hard disk drive sata sockets on the board... something to do with the controller..

:shrug:

One last thing, should I format both drives before starting or format during Windows Vista 64bit installation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.... I`m sure it`ll be straight forward AFTER I`ve finished lol
:fight:

Here we go:

A) 2x 500GB in Raid-0 will result in 930GB total, not 1TB. Each drive will be 465GB so you'll lose 35gb from each drive.

B)You can use the Black SATA ports over the Red ones. I've had problems with the red ports on my board (Connection failures).

C) You need to format each drive separately first, then connect each drive to it's own SATA port and create the array. Be sure to enable RAID in the bios. ( check with your mobo's manual). I formatted mine on my x48 board using the floppy method.

Thanks Nebulous...

I had a peek in the bios and the ports the HDD`s will be attatched to are SATA position 1 and 3...
Does it matter if one of the drives is connected to port number 3 instead of 2?

I`m guessing its ok since you`d select them in the Bios when creating the array??
Thanks..

ooh,

Also, what size stripe should I select?
I do gaming on High quality and some video encoding...
and I believe I can use my flash drive for the drivers instead of floppy??

As a rule I try and keep the drives connected to 1&2/3&4/5&6 like so. (I'm anal like that, lol)

As for stripe size: I kept mine @ default 128k. I didn't see any increase in performance from the 64k to 128k stripe sizes, so I kept the 128.

Yes you can use your Flash drive for the raid drivers. You can go to intel's website and d/l the latest.

Question: Why are you going with (ugh) Vista? Win7 is the way to go ;)

I tried win7 for a bit but found it a lot of money for just a few extra pretty twiddly bits that I can do with vista anyway...
plus inevitably with a `new` operating system it has `issues` with certain Apps and hardware..

You say you are happy with it so I assume you know it well..... what does my money actually buy that vista doesnt do?

I dont mean to sound sarcastic, I genuinely cant see what the upgrade gave me except put some icons elsewhere :shrug:

Anyway, thanks for advising me, I`ll do it in the next couple of days..
Thanks Dude :bday:

I just downloaded this: JMicron JMB36X Controller, is this what I should put on the flash drive when I`m installing the OS?

My mobo dvd has jmicron36x ahci driver AND intel ahci/raid driver........
Do I need both??

Thanks

Sorry for being a noob, I'm not really that geek on computer.

Question: I currently have 1TB HDD windows are installed. If I'll buy another 1TB HDD, how do I configure it raid 0? Do I need to delete all the data on my previous HDD?

Hi elmer
I`m no expert but I believe you will have to format and lose everything on that drive because everything will need to be split up and divided across the two drives...

Also, correct me if I`m wrong guys but I think I read somewhere that there are issues when you raid that big... ?

Hi elmer
I`m no expert but I believe you will have to format and lose everything on that drive because everything will need to be split up and divided across the two drives...

Also, correct me if I`m wrong guys but I think I read somewhere that there are issues when you raid that big... ?

Aiight, thanks for the quick response.

-- So how will I format my previous hard drive?

-- I don't know if theres really a problem when raiding 1TB.

Hi Elmer,
I`m not sure ...

If you look further up this thread, you`ll see that Nebulous told me that the drives must be formatted before you start...

I am actually looking for raid0 answers myself but the way I understand it, you format both drives first, then restart..... press and hold delete on startup to take you to the Bios.....you then setup the bios to Raid 0 ....... then, save and exit Bios making sure you have your Windows Operating System disk in the DVD player and also that the raid drivers are on a floppy disk or on your Flash Drive....then during boot from CD/DVD (windows installation) you`ll see at the bottom of the screen, an option to press an `F` key to install third party driver (the raid driver that`s on floppy or your flash drive)...

Thats all I can tell you for now cos I`ve never set up a Raid before so someone will have to fill in any blanks or info I may have missed...

Hope this is some help...

I`m going to attempt a Raid 0 myself in the next few days when Amazon get my new Hard drive to me...

:)

Hi Elmer,
I`m not sure ...

If you look further up this thread, you`ll see that Nebulous told me that the drives must be formatted before you start...

I am actually looking for raid0 answers myself but the way I understand it, you format both drives first, then restart..... press and hold delete on startup to take you to the Bios.....you then setup the bios to Raid 0 ....... then, save and exit Bios making sure you have your Windows Operating System disk in the DVD player and also that the raid drivers are on a floppy disk or on your Flash Drive....then during boot from CD/DVD (windows installation) you`ll see at the bottom of the screen, an option to press an `F` key to install third party driver (the raid driver that`s on floppy or your flash drive)...

Thats all I can tell you for now cos I`ve never set up a Raid before so someone will have to fill in any blanks or info I may have missed...

Hope this is some help...

I`m going to attempt a Raid 0 myself in the next few days when Amazon get my new Hard drive to me...

:)

That's exactly how it's done. I have nothing else to teach you grasshoppa :thup:

The F6 to load drivers thing doesn't really apply to Vista and 7, they come with the drivers. XP didn't which is why you had to use a floppy.

Yeah, I realised that....I am now running raid0 with 2x 500GB barracuda`s..
It was pretty straightforward actually..:santa:

I`ve even connected up an old 40GB sata HDD to one of the red sata connectors on the mobo as a Backup drive for documents, Game saves and Drivers etc :attn:

Thanks again for all ya help...
Its a little less Daunting to do new things when you know you got `like-minded` people giving advice..

Oh, and by the way, you are showing your age with the `grasshopper` quote!!
Mind you, I`m showing mine for knowing what you meant;)
Bet you remember `Monkey Magic` too!!
(Ahhh Pigsy, Sandy and Tripitaka)

Oh well, back to blasting on Black Ops :comp:

Sorry for being a noob, I'm not really that geek on computer.

Question: I currently have 1TB HDD windows are installed. If I'll buy another 1TB HDD, how do I configure it raid 0? Do I need to delete all the data on my previous HDD?

Yeah but you can create an image of the operating system to copy back onto your HDDs after you set the RAID-0 up and you won't have to re-install everything, I think.

As for 1TB, it's a nice option I think, I don't notice any poor performance with my 1TB drives.

Back