• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about chances of getting dual rank memory kit to run at high XMP speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexander1986

Hello all, new member here! longtime lurker though, love this forum :)

anyway I have tried doing some research lately about benefits of dual rank memory, either via 4 singlerank modules or 2 dualrank modules,
and it seems to me that there can be up to 10-15% performance increase in cpu/ram bound gaming scenarios vs single rank at same frequency and timings,
perhaps not in all games but it still seems like a nice potential, and as I play mostly competitive games with low quality settings at 1080p to reach as high framerates as possible it seems nice to me anyway,

so I was wondering, is it true that it is harder to run dual rank at high speeds with decent timings compared to single rank?

for example, I was looking at this gskill kit https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/168/1536563595/F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR ,

it is a 4x8gb 4000mhz 17-17-17-37 kit, and on the QVL list on the gskill link above it is supposedly OK on 2 motherboards I am interested in, at least according to the gskill QVL list,

the 2 motherboards in question are Asus Z390-F and the Asus maximus XI hero, looking at the QVL list for the z390-F and the hero this gskill kit is listed as supported there, (and 4x8gb kits at up to 4266 mhz or so)

z390-f qvl list: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/
maximus xi hero qvl list: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/

so, since this kit is on the QVL list on both the motherboard and the memory vendor, should I 100% expect to get this kit to run at XMP without any issues what so ever on either the hero or the z390-f ?
because I am still not sure yet which motherboard out of the two to buy, as I won't be doing any crazy overclocking I am kind of leaning towards the z390-f, but perhaps will get the hero, am I more likely to have less issues on the more expensive hero board, or is it irrelevant in this case you think?

so basically, how likely or unlikely are kits like this to run without any issues at all? considering it would be dual rank and relatively high speeds and tight timings,
and lastly would there be any room to push frequency and timings in this scenario any further you think?

the CPU would be a 9700k or 9900k non overclocked by the way, any help much appreciated!

cheers

Hey there... welcome!

should I 100% expect to get this kit to run at XMP without any issues what so ever on either the hero or the z390-f ?
The board shouldn't have an issue running 4000... but it may not be plug and play there or above that speed. I

Unless you are benchmarking competitively (or just enjoy tweaking), I'd just roll with something between 3200-3600 CL16(ish) and save yourself some money. The gains versus cost just aren't there.

It's really not worth to buy 4x8GB and 4000+ at tight timings. The difference, as EarthDog said, will be barely visible while you pay a lot for the memory.
Dual rank memory is faster in some specific scenarios but not many and most games won't use it. Even if some games will use it then there won't be any special difference between memory at 3600 or 4000+. The same on new Intel and AMD, memory is scaling the best up to ~3600, and above that, you can see performance gain mostly in synthetic benchmarks.
I would grab something 2x16GB from new series as there are many cheaper and well overclocking kits. The latest Micron or Hynix IC run at 4000+ CL18 and out of synthetic benchmarks you won't see the difference between them and the best Samsung IC.

Back