• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tripple or Dual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crunch 10-78

Registered
Im sure this has been asked before but is tripple channel 1600 better than dual channel 1600 or even 2000 for that matter? I have the dominator gt 2x2 4gb 2000 memory and was thinking of dominator 2x3 6gb 1600, the 1600 is just a little bit more. :-/

Welcome to the forums!

What kind of system are you running this in?

if its an x58 chipset (i7 920/930/950 etc) then tri-channel 3x2gb is the norm
if its p55 chipset (i3/i5/i7) then dual channel is the way to go

you can run dual channel for the x58, but its made for tri-channel.. why not utilize it!

Im building a new system and this is what I have so far, sorry I didnt post this before.

I7 950
X58 UD5 Gigabyte board
OCZ 750 Modular power supply
Corsair Dominator GT 2000 2x2 4gb
EVGA 570GTX (just picked up today)
Cooler Master 690 case
1.5 TB HD
WIN7 x64 Prem

The difference in triple channel and dual channel performance is very small. It will only be noticeable in synthetic benches. Dual channel saves you some $$ over triple.

The X58 supports triple, so if you have the extra $$ then go for it; if not, dual will be fine.

I guess I should have made my question a little more clear, I was thinking of which would be better for gaming only. Thanks for the replys' :)

I guess I should have made my question a little more clear, I was thinking of which would be better for gaming only. Thanks for the replys' :)

RAM doesn't tend to have much of an effect on games, as long as you have a sufficient amount of RAM. I would still go for triple channel RAM if the board is designed for it.

how much ram do you want in your system? 4gb, 6gb, 8gb, 12gb...?

I will be using it for gaming only, that is why I went with only 4gb. I think I heard that anymore than 2gb of ram for gaming is not necessary but dont hold me to that..

I wouldn't get less then 4gb.
For gaming, as stated above 4gb in dual channel is just fine.
For just gaming, ram speed isn't that important either, i would look for 1333-8-8-8 (or 7-7-7), or 1600-9-9-9 (or 8-8-8).

Back