• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Clocks & Memory Clock for HD 5670

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
Hey guys...
I've been trying to squeeze the most out of my puny setup (see sig).
CCC will take the GPU up to 900MHz clock and 1150MHz memory clock.
MSI AB will do the same, but if I set "EnableUnofficialOverclocking" to 1 on the .cfg file; it then allows me to take Clock to 1010MHz and Memory Clock to 1300MHz.
The HD 5670 does not allow voltage adjustments so any OC will have to be done at stock volts.
My question is:
Would there be any risk in bringing the thing up beyond what CCC allows?
Will increasing speeds without adjusting voltage simply result in the OC being unstable? Or could I brick the thing doing that?

Thanks
Sebastian

Results: Core/Memory - Vantage GPU Score
* 915/1000 - 5994
* 920/1000 - Crash --- Second try: Eye candy turned off on W7 --> 6002 GPU Score
* 919/1000 - Crash

EDIT
Very frustrating!!!!
This poor card won't do anything past 920/1000. Even a 1MHz bump in either clock/memory and it won't be able to run Vantage. I know that other benches may be different, but I have been lazy and have not set up my benching HDDs yet.
I'm wondering how it is that some people over at HWBot have been able to push the same card up to 1075/1150. My guess is that I'm limited by the MoBo right now; same as with the CPU. Can't wait to get a TA890FXE (only one I can afford at the moment) and see if I get better results with it.

I was going to do a Vantage run for HWBot submission, but the from my trial runs it looks like I'd only get a bump of about 100 points in total and that's not even enough to move up one spot so I'm going to hold off until I get a better MoBo.

Last edited:
For benching, push it until it crashes out on tests, then back down a little more and you should be fine if it passes the tests (artifacting w/o crashing is OK)
The chances of bricking your card are extremely small. I've never killed a card from overclocking(knock on wood), yet I've had a couple die from just sitting on the desktop (go figure). Video cards are a strong bunch so I wouldn't worry about killing it unless you pump volts into it.

Like kow said it's extremely rare to kill a GPU with clocks alone. I managed it on a 8800gts 320mb, but that's a series that is known to die for no reason whatsoever (plus i baked it and it works again).

If the memory OC is too high you'll get interesting artifacts or lock up, if the core OC is too high it'll lock up or crash the drivers and go back to the desktop.

I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it, personally. If it dies on stock volts it was not worthy of life with a benching team member.

Well... I found the limit of the card with a few runs of Vantage. It will do 905MHz core and 1170MHz memory. Anything beyond that and it just crashes Vantage...

Anything higher on the core and it won't be able to finish Vantage so I gues that's the limit at stock voltages.

Remember that if it crashes out at a given frequency on a particular benchmark it will often run a different frequency on another one. vantage crashes out at 905 core, but 05 might do 1000.

I've been looking at HWBot and seen some Vantage runs on much higher clocks... I wonder how these people get them to 1075/1150 without voltage increases... Unless there are some 5670s that allow voltage control and I just happened to buy the wrong one.

I had the same question about a gts250. Got it clocked to 799/1206 but hit a wall, no voltage control.

Was wondering about baking a gts8800 320mb, Bob? It artifacts and now has trouble running under drivers. Sometimes will run under vanilla vga drivers but seems to be getting worse. Should I throw it in with the chicken I'm roasting?

I am going to bake the gts 8800 and see what happens. Bake it till it melts!:mad:

Last edited:
It seems that in my haste to see what the max for this card was I jumped too far ahead of myself...
Been able to run vantage at 910/1000.. I'm just going to keep on bumping core speed without changing memory speed until it can't do any more.. And then I'll worry about memory speed.

EDIT

Rather than reply to this thread with results I'm just going to be adding them to the first post.

Last edited:
Something odd I just noticed...

OCing the 5670 via CCC...

Stock speeds (775/900) VDDC on GPU-z sensors page = 0.900V
OCed speed (875/900) VDDC on GPU-z sensors page = 0.900V

OCing the 5670 via MSI AB
Stock speeds (775/900) VDDC on GPU-z sensors page = 0.900V
OCed speed (875/900) VDDC on GPU-z sensors page = 1.100V

The voltage control on MSI AB is disabled (I pressume it is because the card does not support voltage adjustments)... So how in the world is MSI AB increasing the voltage to the card?

EDIT
NVM... I downloaded Radeon Bios Editor and loaded up the card's BIOS on it... Turns out it has 3 voltage profiles on it (boot, idle and load). I guess OCing it via MSI sends into "load" mode.
Still don't know why OCing it via CCC doesn't have the same effect though.

Last edited:
Check in the afterburner settings to see if there is an option to "enable overvoltage". This might enable voltage control. Chances are though the guys that are clocking this budget card are doing a vmod to trick the PWM controller into feeding more power. Budget cards can be a lot of fun as rarely do they implement much in the way of OCP/OVP so they'll frequently be able to feed 2+vdc to the cores :)

You can see how Ryba's card has an adjustable resistor on his card which explains how he's hitting 1500 core frequency on that little thing. I bet there is no OVP and he's slamming 1.7v+ through it :D

Already tried enabling voltage control on MSI AB. No go. I figured the high clocks on the Bot were obtained with hard mods, but that's not something I'm ready to do just yet.

Back