• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install windows.. ide issue maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

So I got this DFI nf4 sli-dr w/ athlon x2 3800+ sittin in the basement.. mobo was just purchsed to do some messing around, but I don't have spare sata cables to use some newer hdds..

So i go to install windows or linux and it copies all the files (supposedly) and gets to the "remove the cd and reboot" part.. I reboot, make sure its looking at HDD for primary boot device and I get a "No Operating system found" or for linux some GRUB error.. could this be the IDE port messing up or am i missing something (i havent had to install winXP in a while, but it never failed before) The drives are an older WD 40gb and backup to that is a 40gb seagate barracuda!

thoughts, suggestions etc

Oh, and I'm using 1 stick of ram and nothing is overheating..

it jumping to the other drive for some reason?

the drive does not have that MS boot block thing they add, because it went to the other drive?

i figure you have the boot order, stuff worked out, you could sneak onto the drive via a boot cd and check the boot.ini to see how it got pointed?

when it copied the data over to do the install, did it do all that Quickly, or did it take AGES, which might indicate a jumper or cable issue.

can you install with only ONE drive item, and everything set for "master no slave" as needed, then add in the other drive to complicate it later. if you have a cable, jumper or lost OS issue.

Try the recovery console, from the install CD, to "fix" the Mbr thing, and check things , so you avoid the thrill of re-installing.

Last edited:
Sorry should have stated.. running one drive (mentioned 2 cause i tried 2 diff drives), forcing boot order to cd for install, then force to hdd after boot. Error wasn't No operating system, it was error loading operating system.

Haven't tried the fixmbr option yet..

Copying files takes approx 10mins.. and I believe the jumper is set to cable select.. will force master on that if i can as well.

Copying files takes approx 10mins.. and I believe the jumper is set to cable select.. will force master on that if i can as well.

depends, some systems Loved CS over insuring that is is set for master (and no slave when that exists)
just so you know. I just mention that as an alternative when it wont get going.

is the cd/dvd rom drive IDE also? If it is, and they are both on a single ide channel sharing the same ribbon make sure one is set to master and other set to slave, otherwise have them on seperate channels and make them both master or both cable select.
2. when installing windows you never need to remove the cd, after it automatically reboots let it ride and dont press any key when it asks to press any key to boot from cd.

it is IDE as well, but they are both on different ribbons on the master connector (farthest from base)

Gonna be trial and error.. just odd that even GRUB isnt loading right on a single drive in the same fashion..really need to yank one of this systems sata cables and try that.. or maybe ill just rip the whole drive out since i KNOW these drives work

it is IDE as well, but they are both on different ribbons on the master connector (farthest from base)

Gonna be trial and error.. just odd that even GRUB isnt loading right on a single drive in the same fashion..really need to yank one of this systems sata cables and try that.. or maybe ill just rip the whole drive out since i KNOW these drives work

did you look at the little chart on the hard drive and the cd-rom? jumper for master settings are not universal. my maxtor IDE hard drive requires 2 jumpers for it to be master hard drive.

also another question, is the hard drive initialized/formatted ? or when installing windows, do you get as far as the part where it asks if you want to format the drive?

You must make sure GRUB is on the same HDD that has Linux and not on the other HDD.

He is using a single HDD.

Sorry should have stated.. running one drive (mentioned 2 cause i tried 2 diff drives), forcing boot order to cd for install, then force to hdd after boot.

Have you ran a disk check program to see if the HDD is failing, I know you stated that they work? Also is the bios recognizing the drive properly, lan, sectors and heads? Is it a known good power supply? I have had them be bad and drive me crazy when they did some strange things to an OS especially during installing it.

Last edited:
Looks like GRUB was installed, but is being told to look for a kernel on another drive!

A possible cause: You had a pen drive connected when installing GRUB.

(If the installer was told to install GRUB on the HDD, but link to a kernel on a pen drive.)

He is using a single HDD.

Have you ran a disk check program to see if the HDD is failing, I know you stated that they work? Also is the bios recognizing the drive properly, lan, sectors and heads? Is it a known good power supply? I have had them be bad and drive me crazy when they did some strange things to an OS especially during installing it.

I've checked it via bios and with livecd linux and its showing correctly as far as I can tell. Have to read the label to see if its counting right sector/heads though. PSU is not awesome.. its from an out-of-the-box gateway (like 350w), but should still be good enough.. its run the same setup minus the DFI board and with a 2nd hdd for yrs before this.

If I don't figure it out ill go back to the box gateway mobo and install windows again and use it as a rosetta or f@h machine.. just wanted to be able to oc it for better use..

while having both on the end of the cable set for master should work great, with least problems.
make sure that the Hard drive you want to boot to is on the primary not the secondary.
or reverse the thinking, and purposfully put them both on the same cable, with the CD as Slave.

why? because , there is (can be) an expectation that a cd would be the slave in most systems. and if you cant figure out which is primary or secondary, using only one channel would change that.

also being on the same cable, the CD will test that cable, that controller channel , jumper settings, and then if the cd suddenly doesnt work, you have one more clue

Back