• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow vertex 2 read speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Khr0nn

Registered
So im running an asus formula iv, 1090t, 2x hdd in raid 0, 90gb vertex 2.

At first my ssd was not aligned so read/write speeds were bad. i fixed that with a fresh install. Upon running AS ssd and checking diskpart im positive that the alignment is good.

For some reason tho my write speeds are good but my read speeds are bad, about 50% of what they should be. Ive ran through a slew of windows 7 optimization guides but to no avail. Im currently not home and on my iphone so if u guys wanna see the results il post um in a couple of hours. Seq. Read is at about 120mb/s.

With the formula iv u have to have satas 1-4 on raid and 5-6 on Ide in bios when running a raid. The ssd is in sata 1. Finally the raid 0 speeds look great, just not the ssd speeds. Ssd is used as bootup drive. Any advice is much appriciated.

With the formula iv u have to have satas 1-4 on raid and 5-6 on Ide in bios when running a raid. The ssd is in sata 1. Finally the raid 0 speeds look great, just not the ssd speeds. Ssd is used as bootup drive. Any advice is much appriciated.
SATA 1 maxes out at about 120mb/s. That's your problem right there. Do you have the option to up it to SATA II?

Could you run ATTO when you get time?

Here's the things I do after a fresh OS install on a SSD:

Disable page file
Disable hibernation
Disable system restore
Disable defrag
Disable indexing

EDIT: johan, to me it sounds like the SSD is connected to SATAII port 1, not a SATAI port. Ports 1-4 are in RAID mode and ports 5-6 are in IDE. The SSD is connected to port 1 which is in RAID mode. At least that's how I read it...

I would like to see screenshots of the scores...what application did you use to get those scores? How frequently have you run that program? If its AS-SSD it the more you run it, the slower it will get b/c its sending it uncompressable data to a drive that makes its living by compressing data! If you want to see the drives' performance as the factory rates it, run ATTO.

One thing to note is that with the vertex 2, writes will also pass that SATA1 threshold so if that is a limiting factor, it should be hitting both reads and writes, correct? But I think he just meant port 1 not sata 1????

EDIT:

I saw this information and wanted to clear something up if I may...

Disable page file
Disable hibernation
Disable system restore
Disable defrag
Disable indexing

Disabling the PF is up to you. but dont believe the hype of it and excessive writes killing a drive. Not going to happen. I reccomend shrinking the PF to 0-1024MB to free up space.

Defrag is already disabled on SSDs in W7. If you disable it all together, your mechanical drives will not automatically defrag.

Indexing is already disabled on an SSD in W7. If you disable it all together, your mechanical drives whose performance improves with indexing wont show that improvement.

Indexing and Defrag have never been automatically disabled for my SSD (Vertex 30GB and Vertex 2 50GB) when I install Win7, I always have to do it manually. So, at least check to make sure.

Also, you can disable indexing and defrag on a per drive basis, so just disable them for the SSD so the HDDs still get auto defraged and uses indexing :thup:

Indexing and Defrag have never been automatically disabled for my SSD (Vertex 30GB and Vertex 2 50GB) when I install Win7, I always have to do it manually. So, at least check to make sure.

Also, you can disable indexing and defrag on a per drive basis, so just disable them for the SSD so the HDDs still get auto defraged and uses indexing :thup:
Also doesn't hurt to turn of superfetch, from what I hear. But none of these things should be impacting the drive benchmarks, if indeed it's in SATA II.

They are on the DRIVES, not TOTALLY as you said. The service still runs saying you have mechanical HDD's.

I do check, and they are off on my SSD. I didnt touch a thing. :shrug:

maybe I had a little too much fun in college then... but it was disabled for me (I KNOW defrag was)...indexing Im now second guessing.

Check regardless!!! :p

Hey sorry about the confusion. They are def. running Sata II; I ment that it is plugged into sata port 1 on "raid" mode. All the things listed have been disabled, although I'll prolly be turning them back on for the HDDs.

Okay I'm gonna run the test and will post in a few...

Heres the results. ATTO dosen't look bad, but man AS SSD looks terrible:

Also does anyone know if TRIM is still working on my SSD since it is in "RAID" mode but not actually in a RAID. I Know running AS SSD will decrease performance but is it permanent or does TRIM clear that up?

Attachments

• ATTO 122910.png
    ATTO 122910.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 211
  • AS SSD.png
    AS SSD.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 207
ATTO is perfect... AS-SSD also looks pretty good (I think I scored 300 though on AS SSD, I dont recall from the office). AS SSD is a worst case scenario situation and will not report numbers like ATTO.

As far as being setup in RAID, so long as you have the newest Intel storage drivers, it will pass the command through while in that mode.

Just dont keep banging on ASSSD/ATTO and performance wont degrade. TRIM will eventually take care of things though, yes.

Bottom line is results look fine. Enjoy your drive.

ATTO is perfect... AS-SSD also looks pretty good (I think I scored 300 though on AS SSD, I dont recall from the office). AS SSD is a worst case scenario situation and will not report numbers like ATTO.

As far as being setup in RAID, so long as you have the newest Intel storage drivers, it will pass the command through while in that mode.

Just dont keep banging on ASSSD/ATTO and performance wont degrade. TRIM will eventually take care of things though, yes.

Bottom line is results look fine. Enjoy your drive.

Awsome, Thanks for your response. I built this bad boy from scratch but since it's so expensive to do I only get the oppurunity to build once every few years. this requires me to learn new technology which the world of SSDs is rather new to me lol.

I'm running an AMD machine so I think im SOL on the Intel drivers:(

Oops... well, I still think you are OK? Im not really sure. You may want to post that question by itself in another thread or go to the OCZ website and post it, that is if your googlefoo doesnt work out...

Oops... well, I still think you are OK? Im not really sure. You may want to post that question by itself in another thread or go to the OCZ website and post it, that is if your googlefoo doesnt work out...

I didn't really see anything on google about it but I suppose I'll start a new thread...

IDE mode wont run at PATA speeds, itll still run at SATAII speeds. I know this because Im set to IDE (not sure why, I thought I had it on AHCI, mustve forgot on new HDD).

His read speeds are a bit slow in AS SSD, not sure why. I score almost 400 (393) in AS SSD with my agility 2. His 4k-64 reads and Sequential reads are very slow. Definitely make sure nothing is accessing the drive while you are running the benchmark like others have stated.

GOod catch Doz... I just looked up some past AS SSD runs with my Vertex 2 and Im near 400 as well. Lets see what she has in the tank now with only 6GB free......
vertex2full.jpg

Last edited:
Back