• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Horrid write speeds/low-ish read speeds PNY CS2030 NVMe drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Dunno what the heck is causing it, but I'm getting horrible write speeds and slowing read speeds with this drive. Temps are not an issue as my temps are 32c. Stereo555 is having the same exact problem. Coincidence?

Mine is installed in the secondary M.2 slot (bottom of board) which disables Sata ports #4 & 5 according to the manual. I have a pair of 3TB drives using Sata ports # 0 & 1 for Raid-0. The PNY drive is the boot/os and set to 1st boot device.

I'm going to swap and put PNY in the primary M.2 slot ( above the 1st PCIE slot/under Cpu) and see if this solves the problem. Anything else I should try as well?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 211
  • M2#2slot_8_20_17.png
    M2#2slot_8_20_17.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 204
Yeah Phision controller thus is why I have a heatsink with a 60mm fan on it. Unsure about firmware, noway to find out. RST doesn't recognize the drive. Write cache enabled/write cache buffer flush disabled in windows/drive properties.

Also clean install of OS just a few days ago.

*Update*

Swapped M.2 slots. Mounted the PNY drive to primary M.2 slot/port. Since I haven't added the fan, temps on the drive are now 45c :-/

PCH temps are 44.5c as shown in HWinfo.

Going to run Diskmark & AS SSD again to see results. Will post findings.

Freaking horrible. Even worse :mad:

I'm about to take the hammer to this thing and while I'm smashing it to smithereens I'm going to be listening to MC hammer's Hammer Time.

Attachments

• Capture_2.PNG
    Capture_2.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Maybe i had it backwards...sorry neb.

Yeah, no sweat. I know you was only trying to help me out ;) I noticed using the top M.2 slot the drive is running hotter as it's getting the heat coming off the 1070. Haven't noticed any differences using either top or bottom slots aside from temps. Gonna swap it out and place it back on the bottom slot. I dunno if I should redo winders again. Do a secure erase and reinstall winders from scratch. Oh I checked alignment and it's right were it's suposed to be, No need for alignment using Mini-tool software.

The best config I’ve used is enable write cache flushing and the cache settings from writeback to read only

Got a quick tut on that?

Yeah, no sweat. I know you was only trying to help me out ;) I noticed using the top M.2 slot the drive is running hotter as it's getting the heat coming off the 1070. Haven't noticed any differences using either top or bottom slots aside from temps. Gonna swap it out and place it back on the bottom slot. I dunno if I should redo winders again. Do a secure erase and reinstall winders from scratch. Oh I checked alignment and it's right were it's suposed to be, No need for alignment using Mini-tool software.

Got a quick tut on that?

Once I get a working computer sure! Mines down for the count until the new drives arrive however both options are accessible within the RST utility

Ahh, well the sad part is the PNY drive isn't shown in RST. Only my raid and 2 other spinners, but not the M.2 drive. Don't understand that :confused:

*Edit*

Question: I have a pair of spinners in Raid-0, and have the M.2 drive as primary boot. My bios is set to boot in raid mode, but first boot device is M.2. Could this be an issue?

I found this describing the same issue I'm having. The OP was told to boot in AHCI mode instead of raid. I'm reluctant to do that as I may destroy the raid array.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Back