• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought new 960 evo for boot drive, slow speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hi yall. So I bought a Samsung 960 Evo 250gb for my OS, main programs and WoW. Thing is, it is not performing at the speeds it's supposed to. I have included some pictures to help. I installed the drive in B) M.2_2 (SOCKET 3). Also included is the score I received from Samsung Magician. According to the specs the read speed is 3,200 MBps and write speed should be 1,800 MBps. I have it set up through PCIe 3x4. Is this normal, should I change some kind of settings, switch the slot, or just exchange it for a different one? I know nothing about M.2 so please bear with me here and help me out. Thanks guys..

960evo.PNG s motherboard.jpg

Attachments

• motherboard.jpg
    motherboard.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,401
Last edited:
First, make sure you have the latest Samsung NVMe drivers v2.2. Second, I have got goofy results from that Magician program before. Download CrystalDiskMark and run it. I'll post a copy of my Samsung 960 Pro which is a little faster, but somewhat comparable.

Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD Crystal resuts 01.jpg

no, the 250GB model is rated for 3200/1500 read/write. https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ate-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/

The problem is the Samsung Magician program. Use Crystal Disk or ATTO to benchmark the drive. drive speeds vary depending on file size so you need a program to test relatively large files sizes (>1MB) to see the max speeds. I noticed the same behavior on my 960EVO when running magician vs ATTO.

i did a clone (windows image backup) from an 850 evo to my 960 evo. didn't matter. I still get full speeds.

now if you clone a HDD to an SSD, you might see some issues. but that can probably be remedied by running the drive optimization built into magician.

sorry was asking the OP about it. Yes alot of times it works fine if your staying with the rest of the gear being the same. But sometimes it can go wonky on ya. And if he didnt have the drivers on the old drive they're probably not on the new image.

Here are the Crystal Disk Mark results. CDMSCORE.PNG

I also added another pic to the original post. Just making sure I installed them correctly with the right settings.

Last edited:
Not sure I ever saw, was that a yes or no on updated Samsung NVMe drivers? The Windows drivers work, but the Samsung ones are faster. You can find them free to download on the Samsung website.

Yup, looks good to me as well. Not every drive will be identical in reads/writes even if the systems are identical. Try using ATTO and you'll see a difference.

+1 for ATTO. I really like it better as it tests lots of different file sizes and gives you a better look at overall performance.

Back