• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkendude

Registered
Hello all, Ive done a clean reinstall of vista, I have 2 hard drives. Main hdd is showing up. when I click computer. shows Hard Disk Drives (1) Local Disk (C:)
Missing (E:) hard drive.

Trying to fig out how to get other hdd to show up. Do I need to open up my case and unplug the 2nd hdd then plug back in to get it to show up?

New to computers. This is my 2nd build. Built this computer couple yrs ago and I cant remember how I got the 2nd hard drive to show up.

My system:
Vista 64 bit
MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
Radeon HD 4870x2 video card
AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black Edition processor
Tagan BZ series 900w power supply
WD VelociRaptor 150g and 300g hard drive
Razer Lachesis mouse, Razer Tarantula keyboard.
4 gig memory, NZXT Case

Is the drive formatted? Check see if the drive shows up in Disk Management. If not then you need to make sure everything is plugged in and enabled in Bios.

thank you AK zip for reply. In the device manager it shows up. I uninstalled it and did add hardware, it put it back, but does not show up where I have my other drive. Like when I go to computer. All I see is Local Disk (C:), DVD RW Drive(D:) and Floppy Disk Drive (A:), Which I dont know what there is a floppy disk drive showing up. I dont have a floppy disk drive a. Anything else I can do? I checked cables and its hooked up. I see it in my bios.

Right Click my computer and go to manage, select storage and then Disk Management.

Does the drive show there? If it does, it probably needs formatted. Which you can do by right clicking it and selecting format.

sorry I suck at computers,. where do I find disk management console?, talking about where you click bottom left windowns icon, then click my computer/computer, if I do that all I see are main harddrive, which is (C:), dvd drive (D:) and a floppy drive (A:), which I dont have a floppy drive.

Thank you, K found what you were talking about, Up top does not show up. Shows my C drive there, toward bottom, I can see it, under is says Unallocated, if I right click on it, options I get are Convert to dynamick disk, or convert to GPT disk

I added attachment to show you what looks like, If I click where is says Unallocated, only options I get are, New simple volume, if I right click where it says Disk 1, options I get are Convert to Dynamic Disk or Convert to GPT Disk.

When I reinstalled vista, after I typed in key code, it gave me option to repair/fix or new and format, for get what else options I had I clicked on each hard drive and pushed New and it erased both hdd, should I have pushed format? Sorry if I dont make since. New to all this. Thank you very much all for helping. What should I do now?

Attachments

• disk management.jpg
    disk management.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 46
Sorry, It isn't a process that I go through often enough to have completely memorized. I'm bound to screw up memory wise.
Go ahead and make a new simple volume.

You did want to do a new installation with your new system, so you are golden from the vista setup point.
The issue you are having is just a normal step of installing a new, unformatted hard disk.

I managed to dig up this link for you, give it a shot.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition

Last edited:
looks like its working, its formatting, 11% so far, also it added it up top where C was, Let you know what happens when its done Formatting. Thank you for helping we with this. Cant wait to learn more.

nice link thank you, so far looks like its working, Thank you very much for help.

Back