• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT ON vs Higher Clocks/HT Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vdgamer

I have a question regarding hypertheading on i7 920, I realize that having hypertheading on is beneficial for some programs, but in my case i mainly use my pc for gaming/net/playing movies, will it be more beneficial for me to turn HT off and use spare voltage to raise clocks to 3.7Ghz-3.8Ghz? (see my current overclock in my sig), will i actually see any difference?

Odds are you wouldn't notice it either way, really.
But unless your games use >4 cores, higher clocks beats HT.
If they do use >4 cores, HT adds 10-30% cpu performance.

Odds are you wouldn't notice it either way, really.
But unless your games use >4 cores, higher clocks beats HT.
If they do use >4 cores, HT adds 10-30% cpu performance.

But for gaming, the bump in performance isn't that much, right?

i dont think that any game uses more than 4 cores, a lot of games still use only 2 cores, so for now it looks like HT off with higher clocks is better, but will the difference be noticeable? Maybe its just better to keep HT on in case i will do some heavy multitasking, i can see how its easy to have HT off and forget about it and not get most out of that expensive i7 technology

I know in my Audio Production PC - HT Off and higher clocks allows me more plug-in instances w/o issues. As mentioned it is completely dependent on the application an how many threads it can run in parallel...

:cool:

Back