• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM is best for...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tha guv'nor

Registered
ello ello.

I have a ASUS P5P43TD/USB3 LGA 775 Intel P43 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - what RAM is the best for this setup and also good for overclocking. I want 2 x2GB to have a max of 4GB.

Also the MB supports RAM DDR3 1600 (O.C.) is it worth it to do get DDR3 1600?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hey there guv'nor

If you plan on overclocking, certainly go with the DDR3 1600 - as for which brand / model to buy, look for something that is a good deal, and has relatively low timings (I think 9-9-9-24 is pretty reasonable these days without breaking the bank, though I think some timings in the 7 range are possible to find as well)

Also, check with the memory compatibility list before making your final purchase, which you can find here:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=os2nODmMKgOFPCBt

Good luck!

+1 ^^... though I would personally get CL7 over the CL9 for the little $ difference.

I wouldnt worry too much about the memory compatability as it only means they tested it and it works. It doesnt mean things that are not on the list wont work.

Wow thanks EarthDog...

EarthDog you are quick on that - thanks.

What are you thoughts on an excellent heatsink and fan with a blue led light that will also fit a quad core when I upgrade - also be a 775 socket proc.

Thanks again

guv

No idea about 'bling' on heasinks really.... Sorry. I choose performance over bling so I dont know...Maybe just get a decent fanwith blue LED (dont know those either).

CPU heatsink/fan

So I want a heatsink for performance - don't care about led "bling" so which one should I look at getting?

guv

Back