• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylt

Registered
I've had this problem for months with my computer. Every so often (approx every 10 minutes when I'm gaming) then screen will go blank, freeze for a couple seconds and then back. In the bottom right corner I get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.35 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

This has happened through many driver revisions. GPU Temperature is reporting as 60 via evga precision.

My system is a non-overclocked Q6600 on a P5K Premium, NVIDIA GTX 260. Windows 7 64-bit ultimate is the O/S.

Any thoughts? It's driving me bonkers.

I've had this problem for months with my computer. Every so often (approx every 10 minutes when I'm gaming) then screen will go blank, freeze for a couple seconds and then back. In the bottom right corner I get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.35 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

This has happened through many driver revisions. GPU Temperature is reporting as 60 via evga precision.

My system is a non-overclocked Q6600 on a P5K Premium, NVIDIA GTX 260. Windows 7 64-bit ultimate is the O/S.

Any thoughts? It's driving me bonkers.

I am glad to know im not the only one getting this though mine only happens every once in a blue moon but it does happen and I cant figure it out

This problem had me banned from NVIDIA support forums and became a loyal ATI customer.

All I can tell you with my experience, this was a driver issue. When I was using NVIDIA (back in the 8800GTX days) it was immature drivers and eventually I went from getting the error every 10 minutes during a game to every 2-4 days.

After which, I purchased my first ATI product(s), 3870-> 4870 -> 5870 and NEVER had the problem again on ANY OS. :thup:

well this isnt just nivida video cards either. i have a ATI 5770 and i get that message every time i start a game up. the game will freeze about 2 or 3 mins from starting the game and i usually have to restart the game. after that its fine

I think it is an OS issue...Win7 has a terrible rep when it comes to video, (which is the only caveat I see for Win7)
When I first installed RC1, I had to use a LCD TV screen because it would not recognize my HP monitor. I had a beast of a time to get ANY monitor to work, but my little TV worked great...but it looked horrible and was hard to read text on it. You should try different resolutions and do some fragging and see if it still crashes. Could be the native res of the monitor that is holding you back, or could be the res of the card. This is why I will wait for the 1st service pack b4 I upgrade my OS.

the driver not responding was an ATI driver issue, ati fixed it. it's probably the same for nvidia.

Back