• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gpu Dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingdrastic1

Registered
Today this issue started occurring. My screen suddenly turns black and then reappears 1-2 seconds later and i get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" in the bottom left (taskbar). My computer was very dusty so i cleaned it and the issue still persists. I'm not sure what to do, i've tried following google help guidelines but nothing is working. If someone can help me i'd greatly appreciate it.

Specs:
Gpu: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX780 Superclocked ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 384-Bit, 2560x1600, Nvidia 3D Vision Ready)
cpu: i5 4670k
motherboard: asus z97a
hdd: 1tb
ram: 8gb
direct x 11.
Monitor: UH85_U32H85xUM (DP) - using 3820x2160 32bit at 60hz
PSU: EVGA 600w Bronze PC power supply
Fan: Cooler master hyper 212 EVO
Msi afterburner: https://prnt.sc/nymos3

I've had this pc for 5 years, and it's worked perfectly fine until today. I'm not sure why my GPU is acting up, if my gpu is the issue as i'm not sure but from what i've read, it seems to be the problem. Also can not having the synaptics smbus driver installed cause this issue? ran a driverchecker and it told me i was missing that and also intel 8series/c220 chipset family sata ahci controller, though i don't know if these even have anything to do with my issue as these won't installed before and i had no issues until today. I've also turned powersaving off as i read somewhere that could cause this to happen, but that hasn't made any difference. Also i've installed the latest gpu driver which i did after the issue started occurring. Nothing was changed and suddenly this problem started so i'm sure it's not because of any changes. Every PC part is as bought, nothing is overclocked or anything like that but i think my gpu comes overclocked? not sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks. Also i'd like to add that i started up a game just now (mw3) on my pc and it's unplayable after a couple of minutes, huge black screens and artifacts start appearing, the map becomes transparent, so i'm suspecting that this issue is definitely my GPU and nothing to do with the PSU or any other component? I hope i can fix the gpu and don't have to buy a new one. And also the issue isn't happening constantly now, only sometimes when i'm watching a movie or youtube video and it'll break the player after a quick black screen for a second and then i'll just have to reload and it'll work for a while again.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Edit: i just opened up misafterburner and it was set at around 600 bottom and around 800 top, my screen went black for a second again and right after, the bottom number was 3001, not sure what this means but i hope you can tell me.
and now it's back to 324 top and 324 bottom, am i right in thinking the spike to 3001 is power issue or just the card rese

1) I'm not a fan at all of Driverchecker. synaptics is usually associated with touch pads on laptops in my experience and at any rate should not be associated with your graphics in any way.
2) In my experience with my folding farm, when I had similar issues, it was only a matter of time before the card quit working altogether. Bad card. No recourse but to replace.
3) I have no clue about the afterburner question. It's been a long time since I've used afterburner.

I hope that someone has a better outlook on this issue but my experience says your card is done. You're card is about 5 generations old so you may be due for an update anyway.

1) I'm not a fan at all of Driverchecker. synaptics is usually associated with touch pads on laptops in my experience and at any rate should not be associated with your graphics in any way.
2) In my experience with my folding farm, when I had similar issues, it was only a matter of time before the card quit working altogether. Bad card. No recourse but to replace.
3) I have no clue about the afterburner question. It's been a long time since I've used afterburner.

I hope that someone has a better outlook on this issue but my experience says your card is done. You're card is about 5 generations old so you may be due for an update anyway.

Yh the driver synaptics stuff is jibberish and probably nothing to do with the issue. The msi afterburner well it spiked to 3001 after i had the black screen for a second or two and then it came back and i saw msi afterburner was already open and the bottom number spiked to 3001,i'm wondering if that's due to a reboot of the card somehow or something to do with an issue with the power? It seems like my card is done, do you think it's because of the dust buildup? surely these cards can last longer than 5 years but i think dust buildup and me not cleaning it for a year might have shortened that lifespan. I do have a brand new evga 1080ti ftw3 with me that i was going to sell instead of use myself but now i'll be forced to use it unfortunately, i don't even play games but i might need a good card due to my 4k monitor, what do you think about this? can i manage without a gpu with my 4k monitor or do i need a good one like this? Or shall i just get a cheap decent one just for the monitor? Thanks.

Sorry if I missed this... but did you try reinstalling your current driver or using the latest version for the card?

What are temps?

Sorry if I missed this... but did you try reinstalling your current driver or using the latest version for the card?

What are temps?

The issue started occurring so i installed the latest driver and nothing changed, it's still happening unfortunately. Temp can be seen in the msi afterburner pic i posted, arounnd 40-43 stable from what i can see. The base/boost numbers are not okay i think but i'm not too informed about these figures and what they should actually be. I did notice the bottom number which i think is the boost clock jumps to 3001 right after the screen turns black for a second or two and then comes back, as i had msi afterburner open and saw it. I'm wondering if underclocking my GPU or playing around with power consumption/settings can make any changes to this issue.

I think you should try doing clean install on an older driver. Your card is getting a bit older, it may not play nice with newer drivers. I'm using a GTX 780 as we speak with windows 10 and driver 417.22, maybe try that one. I'd also uninstall any overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner and re-install it after you figure out what is going on.

I think you should try doing clean install on an older driver. Your card is getting a bit older, it may not play nice with newer drivers. I'm using a GTX 780 as we speak with windows 10 and driver 417.22, maybe try that one. I'd also uninstall any overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner and re-install it after you figure out what is going on.

I don't think it's to do with driver because before this issue began, i was already using an older driver version. I've fresh installed a driver now.

Driver problem, like Manny said.
Go back to the old driver that you know worked.

I don't know which driver version i was using before, i've currently installed one of the newer versions that should be stable, i think came out 2 months ago. What's the right way to uninstall and install? i don't see how driver can be issue though, beforoe driver was working fine, now suddenly it stopped functioning correctly and even when i install a newer version, still the same issue, doesn't seem related to the driver.
Also these are my voltages/temps if you care to look at it, might find the issue if the voltage is not correct to my gpu
http://prntscr.com/o4mh3f
http://prntscr.com/o4mh9t

Last edited:
While I disagree with the others, first remove your old drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Then install the driver of your choice.

Guys it's getting really bad. Just now the entire graphics went, chrome, taskbar everything just displaying whiteness and not what should be showing there so i had to restart my pc manually and not sure what to do now.

Please host the images here at the site. Links like that will go away in time rendering the thread with dead links.

If reinstalling drivers and the OS doesnt work... sounds like the gpu crapped the bed......but we had to start out with free fixes. ;)

Was this card overclocked?

I believe it came superclocked? that's what the buy link says anyway "gtx 780 superclocked", how would i go about underclocking the card? i have msi afterburner installed, worth trying this i guess.

While I disagree with the others, first remove your old drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Then install the driver of your choice.

I have done this properly with DDU in safe mode but the issue still persists so it's definitely not a driver issue.
I posted voltage/power settings above in the pictures, let me know guys if the voltages/power consumption is correct. So far i haven't ruled out the PSU as it could possibly not be supplying the GPU with sufficient power when watching videos or doing gpu intensive activities.

Please host the images here at the site. Links like that will go away in time rendering the thread with dead links.

If reinstalling drivers and the OS doesnt work... sounds like the gpu crapped the bed......but we had to start out with free fixes. ;)

Sorry will do so in future. Mind taking a look at the links i posted and see if the voltages/power is right? i want to rule out the PSU so i know for a fact it's the GPU and can fix it.

When I asked about being overclocked I was referring to you possibly having done additional overclocking after purchase. What comes from the factory should not be a problem.

MSI Afterburner is a popular tool for changing GPU clocks and voltages.

When I asked about being overclocked I was referring to you possibly having done additional overclocking after purchase. What comes from the factory should not be a problem.

MSI Afterburner is a popular tool for changing GPU clocks and voltages.

I haven't done anything with it, i just downloaded the program to check temps but i didn't actually overclock or underclock anything.

That software isnt going to tell us it's the psu... a multimeter would help.

What's the most convenient way i can do this? I don't have a multimeter.

You can pick up a digital multimeter for $15 US.

You can also check the 12v+ rail in programs like HWMonitor but it isn't as accurate as using a meter. Voltages on all rails should be within 5% + or - to be considered in spec.

You can pick up a digital multimeter for $15 US.

You can also check the 12v+ rail in programs like HWMonitor but it isn't as accurate as using a meter. Voltages on all rails should be within 5% + or - to be considered in spec.

I've already installed and uploaded pictures of my voltage using HWMonitor, here they are: http://prntscr.com/o4mh3f
http://prntscr.com/o4mh9t
I'd appreciate if you checked it as i have no idea what is normal and isn't by looking at these numbers. Also msi afterburner shows my card "boost" clock spiking to 3004 each time an incident happens e.g. screen going black for a second and then coming back and then it shows 3004 on the bottom figure which is the boost clock, so the power is suddenly surging or it's just saying that because the driver refreshed?

Back