• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prime

Im really not all too knowledgeable about ram and timings and such, but im pretty sure that lower timings are better as is higher speed. What If one set of ram has lower timing but another has higher speed, whats the difference in that case?
So now that my question withing a question is done what would you guys buy? I was looking at 8 gigs of the gskill ripjaws but then i saw the new crucial balistix tracers

Im gunna go 5ghz via 2600k
Does that change your recomendation at all?

Maybe I dont understand how these things work... but In order to get 5Ghz I think you need to be around 4.5Ghz 24/7 which is doable with the right chip and cooling.

Not sure how you think that will happen though... I guess I just dont know enough about the chip.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, let's recap what Turbo Boost is and what it does. Turbo Mode is an performance feature that automatically unlocks additional speed bins (multipliers) and allows the processor to self-overclock based on thermal conditions and workload. For example, if the Power Control Unit (PCU) senses that only one core is active and the other three are in an idle state, it will use the unused power and thermal headroom to overclock that single active core to ensure superior single-threaded performance. Conversely, if you are running a multi-threaded application, the PCU will measure the thermal headroom and if the processor is running cool enough it will overclock all six cores. On Sandy Bridge processors, Turbo can provide a 400Mhz speed boost in single-threaded workloads, 300Mhz in dual-threaded workloads, 200Mhz in triple-threaded workloads, and 100Mhz in applications that utilize four threads or more.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-2500k-core-i7-2600k-processors-review-7.html

As far as changing my reccomendation, no it does not. Turbo adjust the CPU multiplier and voltage and does not touch the ram.

Okay thanks! Ive been seeing 4.8-5.2 in turbo all over the internet so i dont think it should be too hard

Thats on a single core with a 24/7 overclock of 4.8ghz...which is doable with some effort.

Okay thanks! Ive been seeing 4.8-5.2 in turbo all over the internet so i dont think it should be too hard

Thats on a single core with a 24/7 overclock of 4.8ghz...which is doable with some effort.

Its on all 4 cores, but almost always when you see those speed its people talking about hitting them for short durations, not using it 24/7 at those speeds/volts.

For example, my 2500k has been up to 5.1GHz, but for 24/7 usage I'm down at 4.4GHz.

I'm not saying you can't hit 5.0GHz and try to use it like that 24/7, just don't expect to be able to do it based on reading reports of people hitting 5.0GHz.

Yes I plan on having a 24/7 close to what you do :)
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, strange day for me haha

No matter what your CPU and cooling end up being capable of, Earthdog's recommendation is a good one.

I would say also make sure your RAM is rated for 1.65v or less, if you want to be really conservative get 1.55v or less, but if you're shooting for 5.0GHz I'm guessing you aren't worried :)

I'm stuck on which to get, the Gskill Ripjaw X 4GB that has a CL7 or the Gskill Ripjaw 8GB that has a CL9. Both of em are DDR3 1333 10666 speed.
Lower latency timing or more ram?

I'm stuck on which to get, the Gskill Ripjaw X 4GB that has a CL7 or the Gskill Ripjaw 8GB that has a CL9. Both of em are DDR3 1333 10666 speed.
Lower latency timing or more ram?

I'm running the GSkill Ripjaw X 4GB with CL7 and find that it works great. Just bought another 4GB set to round out my DIMM slots. Also, Newegg currently has 15% off of all desktop memory. Check it out!

I'm running the GSkill Ripjaw X 4GB with CL7 and find that it works great. Just bought another 4GB set to round out my DIMM slots. Also, Newegg currently has 15% off of all desktop memory. Check it out!

The 72 hr. 15% off sale is partly why i had asked,lol. I'm a noob at memory and don't see how CL7 is much faster than CL9 :-/
The Ripjaws X would be a part of a 1090T build i'm putting together, apparently reviewers say its compatible with AM3,even though it states "designed for Intel P67 sandy bridge". Anyways thx Flippedbinary

Last edited:
Back