• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

so i went through this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668716

Now Stalker COP crashes randomly and some times wont load saves, sometimes its fine.... CIV 5 says it is dead... but otherg ames like FEAR and stalker SOC work fine... so i just reinstal the ones that are glitchy? Or do i do the entire steam client?

It may be a non issue cause i may do a whole new OS again, even w7 is giving me issues, but i wanna know my options, if i decide to reinstal without reloading the OS, how do i uninstal steam games individually, just like XP in control panel?

You don't have to uninstall/reinstall the games. You can make a backup of your Steam folder on a different hard drive or computer, copy it back after the format and just run the Steam.exe. It is completely portable and you wouldn't have to redownload any games. After everything is reinstalled, I would have Steam check all the games files to ensure they weren't corrupted.

Also, there is no need to bump a thread (your other one) every few minutes if the sole purpose is to put it at the top of the list. You will probably get less replies and the mods don't take kindly to it.

Have you tried looking for program conflicts?

Click start and type in msconfig. Select start up tab. Take note of all programs that are checked and then select disable all. Restart your system and try running your games.

You don't have to uninstall/reinstall the games. You can make a backup of your Steam folder on a different hard drive or computer, copy it back after the format and just run the Steam.exe. It is completely portable and you wouldn't have to redownload any games. After everything is reinstalled, I would have Steam check all the games files to ensure they weren't corrupted.

Also, there is no need to bump a thread (your other one) every few minutes if the sole purpose is to put it at the top of the list. You will probably get less replies and the mods don't take kindly to it.

The previous novel of posts was because of previous forums, on my car forums anything within 10min of eachother gets automatically merged for you, i was overreacting and just didnt pay attention, hence the edit on the last couple.

Steam is on my F drive, OS is on C drive, my concern is that since my 2 hour W7fest MSI after burner fails to close properly, CIV 5 wont open period, Stalker COP works fine at times and crashes or wont load others, W7 loads fin some times then randomly i get a box telling me that W7 could not be verified and MSE is shut down till i fix it, some times W7 tried to run repair tool, sometimes it says i cannot find the password screen file....

Point is I'm getting all sorts of various error in all sorts of programs, i feel like my registry got slapped around beyond repair, so IF its registry will backing up steam even help? Wont i just be reloading the broken version i have now?

This is where i am torn, I am not sure WHERE the problem lies, given the broad scope of programs im having issues with, is this JUST a w7 problem?

Here is what I would do. Reinstall the OS on the main drive, run the steam.exe to reinstall the client and use the "verify game files" option on every game before you run them.

Here is what I would do. Reinstall the OS on the main drive, run the steam.exe to reinstall the client and use the "verify game files" option on every game before you run them.

Looks like im gonna have too, now it freezes if i just leave it idling... i wonder what happened that night....

So I did NOT reinstal W7, I did verify the files in Stalker COP and it found once missing... replaced it, still crashed, vaerified again, found 1 missing, played fin for a bit, crashed, verified, 1 missing.... keeps loosing ti somehow.... so im gonna have to wait till i have some time and reinstal OS like u suggested... just an FYI

Back