• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little good news... for me anyway

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

A little good news for once...
Got home today from my work trip and found all machines up and crunching, and I'm dumping about 175 WUs as I type (would be more but I set the P2 cache too low and the Celly is being a bit of a turd). I've been having problems with the fast machines deciding that they wanted to "rest" while I was away, but they did their jobs right this time.

An FYI for anyone interested or having similar problems:
The 1333 and 866 had frozen every week for the last couple of months, and the 1400 all but 1. I played with cooling and was somewhat successful in that, pulling the Athlon temps down to an average 12C over case. But this still didn't help.

I finally followed through with a test that I had been wanting to try for a couple of weeks, but kept forgetting. I disconnected the 2 TBirds from the network before I left. And, as I've already said, everything was up and running when I returned.

I can't yet say for sure that this was the cause of my previous hangs, but I had a suspicion after the 1333 went online in December, which is when the problems started. OS on all is ME; also using VNC and ICS on all. ME networking problem? Or one of the machines playing with the network? Don't know, but I'm going to try to track it down.

You might want to consider that NICs are notorious for not OCing well. What brand of nics are you using? Intel and 3Com seem to do pretty good and I'm sure others do as well but I had 5 Linksys that were crap at OCing. :)

HTH.

Cy

I'm not too fond of ICS at all...router and a hub is the best way to go. SMC barricade router works very well for me

Now if I could just get these darn things uploaded...WAIT...1 uploaded yesterday from my main box :D

EDIT....looks like one of the other boxes dumped a few too

Cy: I forget if they're LinkSys or Netgear in those two machines. Whatever they are, they seem to work fine as far as transfers are concerned. Do you think that they would be causing the whole system to hang, though? If they're the Netgear, I think they should be okay since I had another one at 170 FSB with no problems... or so I thought. Hadn't thought before that the NICs might be crashing everything.

deez: I'm beginning to be convinced that I ought to get a router, but don't really want to fork over the $$$ for one that will handle all these machines. I think I can put up with my $10 24port hub for a little while longer. :D ...Unless that's contributing to my problems.

I'm connecting to Berkeley okay here right now. It's a bit slow, but they're tranferring. For some reason, I can always get my laptop connected day or night while travelling and get respectable transfer speeds (for dial-up). ???

deez said:
Godfodda...all you have to do is plug your hub into your router...a basic broadband router can handle up to 253 users. And I just saw the one I bought a few months ago on sale at compusa too. Heres the link below. May not help your freezing problem but it should help the ICS headache. Just set everything to dynamic

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=286882

yeah, u can just plug ur 24 ports hub into the router and let it do all the work. that's what i'm thinking to do when i finish up building a "tower" to host all my pure seti rigs (just seti nothing else) in it. u know, something like those "4U case" tower for server. ;)

still thinking of either buy a draw cabinet and modify it or build it from scratch...:rolleyes:

Glad to hear the good news!

Routers rock.

I've got another hub on the way, gonna need it too: only two ports left on my hub(8 port, 1 is uplink) and my router is full (2 pcs, uplink and print server)

NICS: a bad nic can do some weird stuff: usually they will flood the available bandwidth and slow things down to almost nothing though, if anything. But just because (the great) I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it ain't so!:D

How about this: leave one of the TBirds off for a week and see what happens: if nada, try the other. If it is one machine somehow messing things up, that'll tell you which.

Its a W.A.G., but what the heck!

Oops. Just re-read my initial post and that should've been 115 not 175 uploading. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps. :D

deez: I guess I was confused about how routers worked. I might go ahead with that idea then. I'd still make my main machine run directly through it, though, since my hub is 10Mb, and send the hub through another port. That would work, right?

Landshark: I've been toying with the idea of building a "SETI tower" too. I think with the right layout, it would be an excellent space saver, and airflow could be directed just right. I I ever get around to designing/building we'll have to compare notes. :)

rogerdugans: I had initially planned to pull just one machine off the network to test that idea, but my "gut feeling" said that at least one other machine would die while I was gone and I didn't want to chance the WU loss (I've had enough of those :D). I may be lucky enough to have a week at home next week, so I might give it a shot then. At least I can get a quick reset if it happens then.

Godfodda said:
deez: I guess I was confused about how routers worked. I might go ahead with that idea then. I'd still make my main machine run directly through it, though, since my hub is 10Mb, and send the hub through another port. That would work, right?

yep you can plug your main machine and any others that you use frequently into one of the 4 ports on the router and send everything else through the hub which will also take up one port

Back