• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrmdtek

i want to ask you which is the best method for putting the thermal paste on the cpu ? i found a lots of methods but i don't which one i should use
thanks for reading:)

For CPU you really just want to put a small dot in the middle like the size of a pea, maybe even small like rice, and let the heatsink smush it around. Many heatsinks put 50-70lbs of pressure on the CPU so putting a small amount in the middle is all you need and it will get everywhere. For graphics cards you want to put a lot since their heatsinks don't put as much pressure. Too much can make temps higher.

Sorta is personal preference...I've reached a point where I just do a dot cause it's easiest and I don't see any real temp difference.

what about the method of spreading the thermal past , i heard that is the best method.

if you have a cooler that has the direct contact heatpipes then the dot in the center isnt going to work very well. But if it is a smooth surface, then that is what I recommend.

my cooler is thermaltake frio the spread method is good for it ?

I personally am not much on spreading it myself, would rather let the cooler itself do that. not sure on the base of that cooler either.

my hyper 212 has direct contact heat pipes and i still did the single dot in the middle, works fine, 25C idle on a Phenom 965 with only 1 exhaust fan with cool and quiet switched off, so i have no preference, dot in the middle, if a tiny little bit oozes out of each side once its fully tightened you know its properly covered.

the problem with the dot in the center, with those direct contact pipes is that most of the paste ends up in the crevices and usually (for me anyway) wont make it to the last of the pipes, so you end up with some of the capacity to remove heat diminished greatly. For these types of cooler I will put a little on each pipe and then let it move on its own from there.

I have the Xigmatek Gaia that uses direct touch heat pipes and I used the spread method. Just info, for what it's worth.

Back