• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h055

I am looking to get a new video card primarly for gaming. This is the monitor that I was looking to buy:

HP 2509m

Max resolution is 1920x1080. I would like to get something that will utilize this monitor to its fullest without a lot being wasted on the GPU; I am comfortable with soft-modding.

EDIT: Budget is about $400 USD and I would prefer NOT to use SLI or Crossfire.

Crysis 2 demo will be out march 1st. You can get an Nvidia GTX 570 or an AMD 6970 for around $345 shipped. either of those will run most games maxxed out @ 1080p. you could save money and get a 6950 and unlock it to a 6970.

I am holding onto my 5850 until amd or nvidia release their 28nm graphics cards.

I would say go w/ a GTX 570....personal choice. Most if not all games can be run smoothly at 1920x1080 and more than likely will be able to for quite sometime.

Does Linux still have issues with ATI cards? I know in the past the propitiatory drivers were an issue.

Back