• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build 1090T, BSOD and random shutdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanibanez

Just completed the new upgrade, here's the new gear:

AMD Phenom 2 1090T
Gigabyte 890GPA-890GX (REV 2.1)
2x2GB G.skill ripjaw DDR3 1600
AZZA solano 1000 case
Corsair A70 heatsink :rock:

Old gear:

Sapphire Radeon HD6870
2x WD 500GB SATAII drives
OCZ 600w Power supply
1 DVD writer SATA

I haven't done any overclocking but I continue to get BSOD's on WIN7 64-bit while trying to run 32M SuperPI. I just upgraded all the drivers, the cpu temp stays at about 27 degrees celsius during SuperPI. I have also gotten a couple of random shutdowns, I try to power it back on but have to wait a few minutes and disconnect the power cord and plug back in. The event log in Windows has some kernel error messages about a possible power loss issue.

I suspect the power supply is the issue (it's 3 years old). I have an OCZ 500w I will try tomorrow to see if the issue disappears.

Any thoughts on this??

I would consider running memtest to check your ram stability first. 32M is heavily memory intensive.

Can you post your settings, or are you at stock? You may also want to check your RAM settings in CPU-Z on the memory tab... Sometimes the SPD isn't picked up correctly and it might be running out of spec.

The RAM is at 9-9-9-28 with1T. As a side note, I removed my HD6870 and used the on board video. The SuperPI calculated the 32M with no issue. Does this give more strenght to my bad power supply theory? My BIOS settings are at stock.

I would agree with you, that could lend some strength to it potentially being a PSU issue. I'd follow through with your plan to try another PSU in place, along with the 6870 still installed, and see what sort of results you get.

My first thought was the power supply being the issue, esp. since you added a 6 core CPU to the mix.

Looks like another issue. Ran Memtest 86 and got a lot of errors on 1 stick of RAM. Guess it's off to an RMA.:bang head

However, I did still order a power supply, an Antec TP650 watt. It's got good reviews and I got it for $69.99 Canadian. :santa:

Goodluck with the RAM issue.
Case looks bada$$ btw, if thats your case on your avatar :cool:

dunno if this helps any but i recently had a similar problem but unlike you my ram is ok...i was getting the kernel power errors also. my system was newly built so i was lost... i went out n bought a new surge protector with rmf/emf reduction or whatever the hell it was, updated mobo firmware got newest drivers and ran a few stress tests...i was just about ready to go to xp and sp1 came out claiming to have fixes for multiple system freeze/hang issues so i got it and now my system has been running for 2 days straight as of 2 pm

Well to be sure I picked up an Antec TP650 and installed it. Definitely had one bad RAM stick so my new pc is on vacation until they RMA my RAM. :mad:

i'd be fired up too...i was hoping i didnt have to rma anything for the whole fact that they make u pay 4 it...i just went to my power settings and went back to balanced instead of high power...before when i went into screensaver mode there was no coming back...im lovin sp1

Actually I got pretty lucky, they are paying for shipping. If the RAM is not bad, they charge me 6% restock fee. Otherwise, they send me new sticks for free. :bday:

Back