• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going SSD now or wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

With corsair going on 25nm and OCz already making the transition I am wondering if it is better to get a 34nm now to avoid getting the 25nm NAND on newer drive.
My mobo is only compatible with 3GB/s so it doesn't matter if the new drives are faster.

I am looking for atleast 120GB of space, this drive looks nice:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53424&vpn=CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1270

But it is still a bit expensive for my budget... I don't mind to buy a ssd later as I don't really need it (if I can get better price!). It'd just be great to boot fast and having low load time in games but I can live with that until the prices drop. Just want something durable and having correct advertised specs.

Well maybe you should wait on the SSD and RAID your current HDD. I have them in RAID 0 and I get about 250mb/s and max of up to 280mb/s on both reads and writes. Now the access times and small file loadings will still be slow (Don't spam about that fact please) but most programs will still load faster, especially long tranfer sizes and remember you are doubling your capacity. I want an SSD but don't have a NEED for it and would rather get more RAM or something else. If your happy then wait, hopefully this new 25nm transition will lower prices to acceptable levels and get faster.

The way a ssd works in and of itself will crush even a raided set of drives in most cases.

Also Look around for some sales there was a 128g Kingston for 124.99 a short time ago

The way a ssd works in and of itself will crush even a raided set of drives in most cases.

Also Look around for some sales there was a 128g Kingston for 124.99 a short time ago

We finally broke a dollar per gig for these things?

I remember paying $120 for my 30GB Vertex back in the day.... (last year)

Nice price but can't find anything bellow 200 bucks @ 120Gb :shrug:

* Canadian *

Nice price but can't find anything bellow 200 bucks @ 120Gb :shrug:

* Canadian *

Well NCIX has an OCZ Vertex 2 extended for $189.99 after mail-in rebate in this week's "sale"... but seriously, mail-in rebates suck :( Besides, isn't Intel about to release a SATA 6.0 Gb/s drive in the next 2 weeks? Since you don't really need it, I'd wait and see what happens... Edit: Forgot to mention it's 120 GB :)

With corsair going on 25nm and OCz already making the transition I am wondering if it is better to get a 34nm now to avoid getting the 25nm NAND on newer drive.

I just got a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 240 GB with 34nm nand :attn:, I specifically did not want a 25nm nand SSD. If you want to avoid 25nm nand drives........Mushkin and G.Skill have officially published on their sites and/or forums that they are staying with the 34nm nand technology untill 25nm technology is proven to them to be better (I guess when the other companies stop sinking and come back up for air). I'm not plugging for them, they're the only 2 I know of who were still 34nm when I was shopping. You can check other manufacturers sites out and see if they mention anything about the nand technology in their products. If they don't, then chances are they've gone 25nm. The companies who already made the move to produce 25nm drives haven't worked all the longevity and performance bugs out yet. 25nm nand has 40% less PE cycles than 34nm nand (3000 vs. 5000). The performance issue with the 25nm nand really is due to the controller limiting /throtteling writes to extend nand life, sometimes to a degree that is 50% below the published specs of the drive. And, its for life (LTWT=Life Time Write Throttle). This can happen to a new drive in 1 day IF you install the OS, run AS-SSD and CDM several times to check the speeds, see the writes going down, continue the tests because you don't believe the results, you don't idle the drive to give it some time to recover, etc. The writes have to be throttled or the manufacturer couldn't guarantee the drive for a year. The limiting/throtteling attribute was never published by these companies or they were not transparent enough to the unsuspecting customer. And that's p*ssing people off who have bought the drives. Read the forums. Remember, 34nm nand is EOL. It's not being made anymore. There is only so much of it left and when its gone, its gone. The price of 34nm nand prices will start to increase, that's the law of supply & demand.

Definitely wait. It is too close to next gen to not.

Current gen is great. and STRs are a stupid measurements since they rely on compressible data on sand-force based controllers.

If a review does not use old and new gen tech to test, then it should be excluded. For instance a crystal mark set to 0 fill is a highly compressible format and will show exactly what the max transfer rate that is possible on the SF based SSDs. However most tests show they will not do that.

Some sites will only broadcast 0 fill or compressible data reviews. WRONG. Yes it is great for showing maximum transfer but does not give an accuate description of what users should expect.

Granted any SSD will be an improvement over an HDD... But most IMHO are not worth the price. a SF1200 drive is.. I have not had one die on me yet... unlike other SSDs. I will be doing further testing soon.

Some myths.

a) the dirty drive theory. Yes it effects maximum reads. however the opposite is untrue. Writes improve on a dirty drives (sandforce) in my experience. As much as 100% improvement on uncompressed data.

b)current testing is ridiculous if it only uses crystal mark and iometer. Older techs dont work right because they only provide real world results. Ugh hate that. LOL

c) thessdreview is a great site for social networking. Les has a great repository of SSD makers he gets information from.

d) is a secret apparently I will post it when it is posted. :)

Last edited:
Definitely wait. It is too close to next gen to not.

Current gen is great. and STRs are a stupid measurements since they rely on compressible data on sand-force based controllers.

If a review does not use old and new gen tech to test, then it should be excluded. For instance a crystal mark set to 0 fill is a highly compressible format and will show exactly what the max transfer rate that is possible on the SF based SSDs. However most tests show they will not do that.

Some sites will only broadcast 0 fill or compressible data reviews. WRONG. Yes it is great for showing maximum transfer but does not give an accuate description of what users should expect.

Granted any SSD will be an improvement over an HDD... But most IMHO are not worth the price. a SF1200 drive is.. I have not had one die on me yet... unlike other SSDs. I will be doing further testing soon.

Some myths.

a) the dirty drive theory. Yes it effects maximum reads. however the opposite is untrue. Writes improve on a dirty drives (sandforce) in my experience. As much as 100% improvement on uncompressed data.

b)current testing is ridiculous if it only uses crystal mark and iometer. Older techs dont work right because they only provide real world results. Ugh hate that. LOL

c) thessdreview is a great site for social networking. Les has a great repository of SSD makers he gets information from.

d) is a secret apparently I will post it when it is posted. :)

Me want know the secret! :temper:
:p

I know about OCZ dirty move since day 1 as I was about to buy one in rebate and I somehow googled magic keywords and I found a topic made the same day talking about 25nm transition! :eek:

My AData S599 running in IDE mode on my laptop is _way_ faster then my 4x 74G Raptor RAID0 ICH7R array on my desktop.

Back