• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What went wrong!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomG

Registered
Well Last week I overclocked my CPU up to my SIG amount..
I ordered a new HSF with a Delta 38..

Got it in and put it on the M/B it spun up and then quit.

Then all fans connected to my M/B quit working..

Getting the fan off to test my old one I gouged a piece of my ram and now that doesn't work..

Just what went wrong here? Was it the increase in voltage on the board and then a Fan that could pull alot more then shorted my M/B fan circuits?

What happened? Is the FIC AZ11E a piece of crap? Did I do something wrong?

The board can still be used with P/S adapters or a new fan with the 4 pin connector..

At this point I'm a little skittish about re-overclocking even though its a new board.. I barely (Didnt) have the money for the new board but I'm a computer addict and can't live life without my rig..

Needless to say.. I bought a new M/B by MSI
The MSI K7t Turbo2

Don't know how good it is but will see..

Did you plug the Delta fan into a fan header on the Mobo or did you use a 4pin to 3pin adapter? Some motherboards don't supply enough juice to the fan headers on the board and Delta fans can fry the headers.

I have some boards that will run Delta 38's on regular headers, and some that now have dead headers cause I found out the hard way, that particular boards are built very differently.

3 pin ON M/B

I plugged it into the 3 pin spot ON the M/B marked CPU fan..
I did NOT plug it directly into the P/S.

well..seems like thats your problem..your going to have to get some 3pin to molex adapters and run them off the PSU...its not a great idea to run High Performance fans off the headers...the only fans i run off the headers are the 2 on my vid card

Yup, sounds like dead headers... sorry man.. But u still can use the mobo, only have to run the fans off the PSU...
U can check in the manual of ur motherboard for the MAX Amperage/wattage that a fan can be used w/o damaging the header... Offcourse that should be done b4 u install the new fan.
If they list only the power of the fan (W) then on the fan written its Amps like 0.14A or much higher w/ delta38. W = V * A

also just a quiky add on. some mobos wont run unless it sees a fan at the cpu fan header. dont know how this would affect a burnt one tho.

even with my h20 system i have to put a small case fan in the header so the mobo will fire. im sure someone has found a quik fix as how to make a jumper so it works without the fan tho . i just havent seen one yet

Back