• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with CPU temp please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kazutopia

Registered
Whats up guys,

Just got my new rig and downloaded some monitoring software.

It came 10% Overclocked from the factory - CyberPower -

When running Prime95 my CPU reached 91c in first 2 min of test :eek:

I've been reading a lot of OC threads and learned that 85c is hot already.

Most of the threads tell me they run the Prime95 test for hours not reaching this temp.:confused:

I was actually hoping to get help from you all to push my i7 950 3.06ghz to 4ghz or more as long as I can get it stable but definitely looking into better cooling first.

Anything I can do for the short term?

Thanks

A real picture to see how the cables are run and fans are setup could help some too. If it is all just jammed in there without any fans that thing is gonna cook.

Could be that the heatsink got bumped around in shipping and isn't quite fully seated anymore too I would think.

Thanks guys,

I will update later tonight after work and add pics.

I know my mobo is a ASUS P6x58d-e and Im also looking for a better NB cooler too.

btw how did you put your system info in your post signature like that?

After ~10 posts or something you get the ability to add a signature. It's probably worth trying just replacing the thermal paste on your mobo, all asus mobos pretty much require it these days.

Definitely could use some pics of your setup or at least post the parts your system is using. And that goes for the case too, since the better cooling solutions out there are of the tower variety and stand pretty tall.

For off the top of my head cooling choices for a 930, the Cogage True Spirit, TRUE Rev. C, Venomous X, Megahalems, Noctua NH-D14, and TR Silver Arrow are all very good choices at various price points. And then you can go with the low cost liquid cooling setups like the Corsair H70 or the new H60 (which is brand new with no creditable reviews yet) if your case is a bit too narrow to use a tower style heatsink and your case has a 120 mm exhaust fan in the back.

My personal favorite for my 930 when I'm not testing heatsinks for review is the good old TRUE Rev. C.

Thanks for the info

I am looking into Koolance atm. I like how you can DIY a system.

I guess my next question is, if I replace the North Bridge heat sink with a cooling block, what can I use for the Mosfet?

On the board the NB and the Mosfet heat sink are connected by a heat pipe.

I'll remember to reduce my images next time :beer:

Attachments

• CPU1.jpg
    CPU1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
You can still reduce them. Edit, lower right hand corner.

Unfortunately, you'll have to buy a seperate HS for the Mosfets to the left. Plenty availible on some qality PC stores on line.

We still don't know what case, fans, room temps. Please post a smaller picture of your full case. Is the cooler blowing into the case or out?

Ohh, good luck with the wave, my son is at PH on a barge batting down the hatches in the sub area, his sub is in drydock.

Just looking at that humongous pic, the cooling solution they installed for you shouldn't be running that hot. That Coolit LCLC unit isn't the best by far, but if working and installed properly it should control temps better than what you are seeing I would think. That unit is roughly comparable to the Corsair H50. Get you some new thermal paste and try remounting the pump/coldplate on the processor. If that doesn't help, then you might have a cooling unit with a weak pump on it. I seem to remember reading of people having issues with that particular cooling unit.

As for the NB cooling, I would try remounting the NB unit with some quality thermal goop also. I have both a P6T (vanilla) and a P6X58D Premium and I have no issues with heat on the NB or power fets with either. Don't spend money unless you have to and I would use the money saved to buying a better heatsink for the proc.

Personally, since it's from a boutique maker, I'd just have them deal with it if at all possible.

Either there's an issue with the sensor (not unheard of) or there is something else causing it to read hot.
ie == the crossfire.

Do you have a room fan?
If yes leave the side open and the fan blowing fresh air into the case.
Try the burn test again and see if that makes a diff.
If yes, then it may be heat rising from the video cards giving you an off reading.

Shout out to familly in Japan :chair: who survived the quake, thanks be to the lord.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I really appriciate it :thup:

The room is a little warm, so I'll try to find a better spot for my pc. Other then that. Tried shaking the heatsinks and everything felt solid last night, touched the NB and didnt feel hot at all. But was not under stress either. I'll try that again tonight.

I have an AZZA full tower case.
No pics atm, at work. I'll add one later.
But basicly it has 2 inlet fans and 3 exhaust fans.

I dont know about the thermal paste, I only had the system for 3 monts now.

I'll call cyberpower and see what they have to say.

As for the NB muddocktor you say you have no issues, can you tell me what you use to monitor its temp with?

Thanks

You can still reduce them. Edit, lower right hand corner.

Unfortunately, you'll have to buy a seperate HS for the Mosfets to the left. Plenty availible on some qality PC stores on line.

We still don't know what case, fans, room temps. Please post a smaller picture of your full case. Is the cooler blowing into the case or out?

Ohh, good luck with the wave, my son is at PH on a barge batting down the hatches in the sub area, his sub is in drydock.

Thanks, the wave was a non-event. Almost nothing when it hit here. Hope your son is ok.

Still can't edit that pic. I get to the edit screen but can't change the pic, can't even delete it.

All I am using to monitor the NB temp is my finger and the lack of any problems with my system; totally stable @ 4.0 for 24/7/365 use. :D It runs the Rosetta DC program under BOINC and that keeps the proc loaded at 100% all the time and my system is never shut down except for cleaning.

Back