• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please guys, what's wrong with this Rampage III Formula?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Rampage III Formula 0505 bios (latest)
i7 950 CPU (20x200) (NHD-14)
3x2GB 1600Mhz C7 Mushkin Blackine (sticker voltage 1.65)
ASUS ENGTX580 DCU II 1.5GB
ASUS XonarSTX soundcard
Corsair HX850
2x Velociraptor 150GB
ASUS Bluray ROM
Antec 300

DSCF6323.jpg

DSCF6324.jpg

DSCF6325.jpg

DSCF6326.jpg

DSCF6327.jpg

Despite being as solid, if not more solid, than a stock system, and uncrashable in windows, occasionally the above system WILL NOT POST, and I have to resent cmos and re-enter my OC settings.

My thoughts are that perhaps a voltage somewhere is incorrect for the system to post happily. Running the RAM at 1.64 or 1.65 does not appear to make a difference.

QPI rate looks extremely high for the bclock. Can you lower your UCLK frequency to 3200? I thought you were supposed to run double the ram frequency essentially (ram at 1600, 3200 UCLK).

Maybe Im wrong there though? Ive always done it by ratio with the boards Ive had.

Rampage III Formula 0505 bios (latest)
i7 950 CPU (20x200) (NHD-14)
3x2GB 1600Mhz C7 Mushkin Blackine (sticker voltage 1.65)
ASUS ENGTX580 DCU II 1.5GB
ASUS XonarSTX soundcard
Corsair HX850
2x Velociraptor 150GB
ASUS Bluray ROM
Antec 300

DSCF6323.jpg

DSCF6324.jpg

DSCF6325.jpg

DSCF6326.jpg

DSCF6327.jpg

Despite being as solid, if not more solid, than a stock system, and uncrashable in windows, occasionally the above system WILL NOT POST, and I have to resent cmos and re-enter my OC settings.

My thoughts are that perhaps a voltage somewhere is incorrect for the system to post happily. Running the RAM at 1.64 or 1.65 does not appear to make a difference.

Lower QPI Frequency

1 Wont allow a lower QPI afaik @ this bclk
(CONFIRMED) isn't that weird?

Ok guys will lower uclk and see if it allows me to lower QPI.

2 TRIED THAT AND:

3 As has been happening a fair bit lately- and I forgot to mention, after I lowered the uclk the system did not shut down and restart. It went into this state it sometimes goes into where it won't even power on. The power LED flashes for a second then goes dead. I have to hit the button a few times before it will power on, and then it has often times lost OC settings.

I went back and put the Uclk back where it was and added .01V to the QPI and PLL and put the DRAM up to 1.65. Didn't come back on by itself but did go on first hit of the power button.

Something's flaky about this board..

Last edited:
help guys... cant lower QPI at this clock... Only managed to get post stable with QPI on 'slow' mode which is one knock below 7200...

at 190x21 allows 6500 qpi....... 3100 uclk ram 1523...

Last edited:
You don't have the QPI multipliers to choose from at 200 bclk but you do at 133?

EDIT: From looking at the manual, it seems you can only choose Auto, Slow, 36, 44, 48 multipliers. At 200 bclk, you are already on the lowest multiplier 36 which gives you 7200MT/s...

I would suggest trying to lower the bclk and use your higher CPU multipliers to see if that helps.

Last edited:
You don't have the QPI multipliers to choose from at 200 bclk but you do at 133?

EDIT: From looking at the manual, it seems you can only choose Auto, Slow, 36, 44, 48 multipliers. At 200 bclk, you are already on the lowest multiplier 36 which gives you 7200MT/s...

I would suggest trying to lower the bclk and use your higher CPU multipliers to see if that helps.

That's what I'm at now. I hate this motherboard. 190x21 gives me a mid 6000's QPI and my uncore is 3040 as DRAM is now 1520.

I've had it with this platform. It has it's head up it's arse by design. Gonna go to BD or SB in a couple of months...

I was under the impression that QPI up to 9000 was stable and easily attainable??

Would 7200QPI be stable at a high vQPI?

That QPI doesnt sound high to me at all. I leave mine on auto, and have pushed WELL past that number. (228x21 and w/e the lowest outside of slow mode is for QPI).

I think its something else. What though... tough one...

Lower QPI voltage though and PLL. No need for that at 200bclk...

That QPI doesnt sound high to me at all. I leave mine on auto, and have pushed WELL past that number. (228x21 and w/e the lowest outside of slow mode is for QPI).

I think its something else. What though... tough one...

Lower QPI voltage though and PLL. No need for that at 200bclk...

Lower QPI and PLL voltage? :bang head (you see why I hate this board, right?)

What numbers do you suggest at 190/200bclk respectively?

And ya the QPI doesn't seem high. What's high is the mobo. On Charlie Sheen. I'm being funny but I really want to take it outside and run it over.

Also something I didn't understand from the i7 overclock guide or that is perhaps unique to ROG boards--

How does IOH voltage differ from IOH PCIE voltage? The guide says 1.3 IOH for 1 GPU 1.35 IOH for 2 GPUs. My MINIMUM PCIE IOH however is 1.5 so I imagine this is different?

Ok lets start simple here, reset to default and only change the following:

multi = 20
bclck - 200
vcore - 1.35v
DRAM freq = 1600
DRAM voltage = 1.65v
Loadline calibration on full

Disable C1E and IEST

REST on AUTO

multi = 20
bclck - 200
vcore - 1.35v
DRAM freq = 1600
DRAM voltage = 1.65v

Disable C1E and IEST

REST on AUTO

Thanks Brollocks I'll get on this and report back by morning. This chip I know is stable at 1.312vCore and that's not what it is but I'll go with your suggestions and we'll go back and forth hopefully and get this thing workin. thx.

I should add I built this in Dec. It was stable for a month at 190x21 then presented posting issues. Went to 200x20 at the posted settings in my pictures and that was stable for over a month before beginning to give issues again. Will post with results in the morning.

EDIT_

I re-read the i7 guide and altered several voltages and I appear to be rock solid at 200x20.

Since I likely am not truly bios solid (definitely windows solid via prime and IBT) I will follow your directions Brolloks some time this week. I have a LOT on my plate ATM and I will get on this ASAP.
Thank you immensely to everyone.

I'm not walking away from this I'm just walking to the side of it for a minute to catch my breath as life is very hectic right now.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my Conroe with load line calibration disabled: It will fail to cold POST.

I'm required to have load line calibration enabled.

Have you tried enabling load line calibration for the cores and QPI?

multi = 20
bclck - 200
vcore - 1.35v
DRAM freq = 1600
DRAM voltage = 1.65v

Disable C1E and IEST

REST on AUTO

Sorry for the ressurection, but I just got mine yesterday, and couldnt get an oc with the same settings I used on my UD5. I was starting to get a bit frustrated.. So I came here to see what I could see, and this thread came up, and I decided to try out the quoted post, and sure enough its working just fine now :) It seems this board doesnt like being told what to do lol, other then what to run the cpu and memory at, it will do the rest on its own.. :screwy:

Back