• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP LX195 Server, and Laptop Can't Connect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xantom

I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop connected to my HP LX195. I am having issues connecting to the server with my laptop. I can do backups fine, but cannot connect to the server console or any shares on the server. After initial setup I was fine for about a week.

Windows cannot access \\HPSERVERLX\

After Diagnosing I get this report:
Windows can't find a computer or device named "HPSERVERLX" Detected

Windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name.

My 2 desktops have been working flawlessy for about 2 years. I have tried finding a similar issue on other forums but didn't have any luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried to access the server via the server's IP? How about statically mapping the host name to the server's IP?

No I haven't. Would this be done through remote access from the laptop I can't connect with?

Yes but I seem to have skipped some stuff... How do your desktops and laptops connect to your server? After looking at the specs for the HP LX195 I assume that Ethernet is the connection medium? Are all devices connected to a router? What type of router? Does your laptop connect to the router wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable?

Yes but I seem to have skipped some stuff... How do your desktops and laptops connect to your server?
I have 2 hard wired Desktops. Laptop is both.

After looking at the specs for the HP LX195 I assume that Ethernet is the connection medium?
Yes,

Are all devices connected to a router?
Yes.

What type of router?
1 x Linksys WRT610N
2 x D-Link DGS-2208 Switches.

Does your laptop connect to the router wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable?

Currently it is connected wirelessly and hard wired.

I would go for the Microsoft-created hotfix that your second link boasts. It all makes sense now because all Windows 7 wireless connections use an IPv6 address in the ipconfig results. This was an effort by Microsoft to encourage the switch from IPv4 to IPv6 by supporting IPv6 tunneling (or IPv6 over an IPv4 network). Thanks for posting back with your research! This will help others whom have a similar problem in the future.

For the others that don't care to visit each link: The problem is that Windows 7 64 bit creates a '6to4' (IPv6 to IPv4) adapter upon establishing a WiFi connection. When the WiFi-capable device shuts down, the W7 64bit closes the plug-and-play service before the process can be performed to enable the 6to4 adapter to be reusable. Upon startup the WiFi connection is established and a new 6to4 adapter must be created because the old one cannot be reused. This causes a buildup of old 6to4 adapters and, in time, can render the WiFi-cable device unable to connect to a network. To check to see how many 6to4 adapters are active on your system use the ipconfig command.

Brian

I went into device manager there is only one "Microsoft 6to4 Apadpter" listed. I disabled it, but from reading that solution I would have thought there would be multiple "Microsoft 6to4 Apadpter" listed. Maybe this isn't the solution for my situation.

I disabled it and still could not access my shares. My WHS icon was still green, and able to do backups to the server. This morning I still can't access shares and now the WHS icon is grey. I can access shares and do backups from my other 2 deskops fine.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Another quick note. I had an Asus laptop that was connected to the server for about 1 year. I was experiencing the same issue with that laptop starting back in January. The server issue was never resolved...

I sold it on CL for other reasons:) and bought the one I have the issue with in this thread.

Thanks!

Another quick note. I had an Asus laptop that was connected to the server for about 1 year. I was experiencing the same issue with that laptop starting back in January. The server issue was never resolved...

I sold it on CL for other reasons:) and bought the one I have the issue with in this thread.

Thanks!

Try this go into network settings and right click on your wireless adapter and click properties and uncheck IP6 and then click apply and ok and restart and see if that helps

Try this go into network settings and right click on your wireless adapter and click properties and uncheck IP6 and then click apply and ok and restart and see if that helps
Thanks for posting!

I wasn't sure if I was in the right place...

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/xantom666/Network_Settings_OC_Forums.png

Just IP6? Or IP4 Too?

On anther note I went with the "Nuclear" option, and uninstalled the WHS connector software, and now I can't reinstall it:)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/xantom666/WHS_Connector_Error.png

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks for posting!

I wasn't sure if I was in the right place...

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/xantom666/Network_Settings_OC_Forums.png

Just IP6? Or IP4 Too?

On anther note I went with the "Nuclear" option, and uninstalled the WHS connector software, and now I can't reinstall it:)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/xantom666/WHS_Connector_Error.png

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Just ip 6 cause if you did both you wouldnt get an ip but try that and let us know! :)

I will try this later today when I get home. Any thoughts on why I could do backups but not access the WHS console, or any of the shares??

I will try this later today when I get home. Any thoughts on why I could do backups but not access the WHS console, or any of the shares??

I do not have an answer for that as I dont have a setup like that or have ever used WHS console before could be firewall related or antivirus maybe or a blocked port

Back