• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venomous X installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I've spent the last hour trying to install my Venomous X, but I'm completely lost. I've read the rather lame instructions many times over, but I can't even figure out how to mount the fan or do anything else on it! I'm tempted to put it back in its box and sell it, so does anyone here know how to install it, from start to finish?

Don't sell it - it's an amazing cooler. There's a really good review here which explains in detail how to install the cooler.

SMOKEU, is that going on the system in your sig? If so, it shouldn't be too hard.

Take the back plate and the 4 riser screws and install the backplate to the board with the 4 riser screws. Tighten them down good, then take the chrome top plate and put it on the riser screws, then tighten that down with the 4 chromed knurled nuts. After doing that, apply your thermal grease to the processor IHS, then take the crossbar and set it on top of the heatsink base and lower it on top of the processor. Start the threads on the crossbar screws on 1 side, then the other, then alternate tightening them down until the threads bottom out. Then you can carefully use the wrench that comes with the heatsink to tighten the knurled center screw of the crossbar to give even more clamping pressure if you want. And the link Lenny provided does give some good pics of what I am describing too.

I just figured out why I've been having so much trouble with it. The fan I have is different from the one in the pics on the Thermalright site, my one has tubes connecting the screw holes together. I'll cut those tubes out with a hacksaw as they don't serve any purpose. It should then fit!

Ok, now I've mounted the cooler onto the board as per the instructions. Job done, or is it? The heatsink doesn't feel like it's going to fall off, but it does seem to want to pivot around the base a fair bit. I have tightened the middle bolt quite tightly.

Yeah, that is normal for the mount when you tighten the center nut like that. When you tighten the nut down, it pulls the crossbar away from the top of the heatsink base and gives it a pivot point. Try it like that and monitor your temps, then try backing the screw back out a little bit and monitor temps and play with it like that until you find the optimum pressure for clamping it to the cpu. That is why I personally like the Thermalright BTK-1156 Rev. B better than the Ven-X mounting system, as it has much more resistance to twisting.

For anybody new to this cooler, some words of advice. DO NOT tighten all bolts to their max possible. I did that like a total dummy and warped my board. While it was tightened I had an insane boot loop problem and just recently RMAed my P8Z68 V PRO GEN 3 mobo back to asus. It wasn't until I loosened the cooler that the boot loop disappeared.

Same here...

My Venomous X Black has been strapped to my board (at full tightening) for about two years now (it gets taken apart every three months for new TIM) and the board is as straight as the day I bought it. This is with a BEAST of a fan strapped to the heatsink too... I don't do plastic frame fans... The one I'm running in there now is a 9SG1212P1G01 and it weighs in at 400gm on its own... Even with the added weight; no warping issues at all.

Me too....

no issues for thightening all of the 4 mounting screws (I always do this for the best results).
whether it's on the 775 platform, nor on my current ancient AM2.

and the fan mounting clips, I love it.
switching fans, had never been this easy before.

Back