• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RnPgrosz

I'm upgrading a friend's PC and he doesn't want to spend too much so can someone recommend a good mobo that I will be able to overclock with and not spend more than $70 or $80?

Thanks for the suggestion. The Shuttle AK31A with the kt266a is $76 so I'll probably get that. I'm assuming I will be able to overclock with it. Anybody have experience with this board?

I didn't think about this before but I'm going to need a board with sdram. My friend doesn't have enough cash for new ddr ram

The Shuttle AK31A

This is a nice board but my northbrige fan died 1 month after I got it. The mobo workes grest with out one but bucause I like to overclocker a little, The shuttle moved to server work. It is happy doing. My server has not crashed once since it whent up about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I expect it to put those three month uptimes that my previous server did.

My Computer
-------------------------------
AMD Athlon 1.133 GHz
Volcano 6cu+
Asus A7V266-E
256 MB Crucial PC2100 CL 2.5 ECC Registerd
IBM 75GXP 30GB Harddrive
Pioneer 16x DVD
HP 8x4x32 9100i
eVGA Geforce 2 MX 32MB
Soundblaster Live!
Netgear FA 310TX
Full tower W/ 300Watt PSU
Windows XP Professional

My Server
--------------------------------
AMD Duron 750Mhz
Chrome Orb
Shuttle AK31 R. 3.1 W/ Audio
128 MB Crucial PC1600 CL 2
Western Digital 8.4GB Harddrive
32X CD-ROM
Diamond Stealth 64V 2001 2MB
3Com 3C905B 10/100
Intel8255x 10/100
Wide Mid Tower W/ 250Watt PSU
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

If it's got to have SDRAM and it's not going to be overclocked, then the ECS K7S5a is your best bet. And it's even cheaper than the Shuttle.

nihili

I just noticed you said you *DID* need to overclock. THe ECS is probably still worth a look. It has some overclocking options if you download a special (unsupported) BIOS. But in that price range the shuttle and the ecs are your two main options.

Back