• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good socket 939 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

I just got an old HP system from a friend that's socket 939 and I was wondering what board I could put in there to overclock with. It has 2x 512mb DDR400 sticks, I'd prefer DDR1 or DDR2 if that's possible. It's an A.M.D. Athlon64 X2 4400+ with what looks like a decent hsf.

Edit: lol nice april fools joke oc... changed "AMD" to "Intel" :p

I think 939 was before the DDR2 era, but I might be wrong. :chair:

I've used an Asus A8V-Deluxe before and it wasn't a bad board at all.

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I still own mine, from 5 years ago. Amazing board. It was THE FIRST board to offer x16 in both PCI-E, while running SLI. It can be found on the the bay for around 100 bucks.

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I still own mine, from 5 years ago. Amazing board. It was THE FIRST board to offer x16 in both PCI-E, while running SLI. It can be found on the the bay for around 100 bucks.

I know that's a great board, but I don't need something with all the bells and whistles. Something with at least 4x SATA 3.0GB/s, 1 PCI-e x16, and overclocking capabilities.

Btw, how far will a 4400+ OC anyways? It's 2.2Ghz stock, so 2.6Ghz+ would be nice.

I know that's a great board, but I don't need something with all the bells and whistles. Something with at least 4x SATA 3.0GB/s, 1 PCI-e x16, and overclocking capabilities.

Btw, how far will a 4400+ OC anyways? It's 2.2Ghz stock, so 2.6Ghz+ would be nice.

Based on that, I think the A8V-Deluxe will work for you.

I got mine, which was the first gen (I forget the stepping/revision) to 2.9 something, but that was on cold water. With normal temp water, I got it stable to 2.73ish.

Based on that, I think the A8V-Deluxe will work for you.

He needs PCI-e. That seems to be an AGP board.

You might find a lesser board that's still alive after all this time but the A8N32's are still plenty healthy at this point. I had two that I ran OC'ed crunching 24/7 over four years (until I retired them for quads) and a third that's still running due to make 4 years solid this month running at load 24/7 the whole time. I've watched a lot of boards from that era, including the famous DFI Ultra's, go by the wayside as time ate away at them but the A8N32's are still kicking! :) It's one of the best OC'ers of it's time with it's only real competition being the Ultra.

If you can find one the A8N was also a good board.

I just retired two Abit AV8 mobos and the brought one back on line to help with the Rosetta contest. It's running an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ that's OCed fromn 2.0 GHz to about 2.4 GHZ (IIRC) and is actually producing over 500 RAC at the moment. Unfortunately it uses DDR and supports AGP, PCI and <shudder> AT slots. One must have had 5 or 6 years of steady operation. The only time they faltered was when CPU fans froze and they outlasted Abit.

I just retired two Abit AV8 mobos and the brought one back on line to help with the Rosetta contest. It's running an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ that's OCed fromn 2.0 GHz to about 2.4 GHZ (IIRC) and is actually producing over 500 RAC at the moment. Unfortunately it uses DDR and supports AGP, PCI and <shudder> AT slots. One must have had 5 or 6 years of steady operation. The only time they faltered was when CPU fans froze and they outlasted Abit.
Good to see there are other survivors! :)

I got mine, which was the first gen (I forget the stepping/revision) to 2.9 something, but that was on cold water. With normal temp water, I got it stable to 2.73ish.

He needs PCI-e. That seems to be an AGP board.

I knew I missed something! Good catch on that one. Shows what I know of 939 hardware. :rolleyes:

You might find a lesser board that's still alive after all this time but the A8N32's are still plenty healthy at this point. I had two that I ran OC'ed crunching 24/7 over four years (until I retired them for quads) and a third that's still running due to make 4 years solid this month running at load 24/7 the whole time. I've watched a lot of boards from that era, including the famous DFI Ultra's, go by the wayside as time ate away at them but the A8N32's are still kicking! :) It's one of the best OC'ers of it's time with it's only real competition being the Ultra.

If you can find one the A8N was also a good board.

What about the Epox 9NPA+? :p 314 FSB (system clock) not good enough? Mine just just just took a dump last month or so. Sad times.

I just retired my DFI Lanparty SLI board a week ago. It ran an Opteron 144 (stock 1.8) at 2.4 GHz for 5 years. I used DDR400 RAM; It doesn't support DDR2, but it was a great overclocking board in its day.

What about the Epox 9NPA+? :p 314 FSB (system clock) not good enough? Mine just just just took a dump last month or so. Sad times.
OC'ing a 4400+ with the Epox would be plenty but, no, 314 wouldn't have been enough for me. I've got two Opty 165's I managed to crank up to 2.9 GHz - 322 and 323 MHz on the clock. The Rev.G A8N32's started sputtering just over 320 so I avoided them and stuck with the originals. ;)

I just retired my DFI Lanparty SLI board a week ago. It ran an Opteron 144 (stock 1.8) at 2.4 GHz for 5 years. I used DDR400 RAM; It doesn't support DDR2, but it was a great overclocking board in its day.
The LanParty's, along with other boards like the Epox Kowalski3500 mentioned and the A8N-SLI, were good, solid boards and work well for most s939 CPUs. :beer:

Back