• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple question: best tool to reduce cpu fan throttle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your best bet is to go into the BIOS and change the settings there. Alternatively, you can download Speedfan.

If your fans are plugged I.to your mobo use bios. If not get a fan controller. J would be surprised if that old program speedfan works for.you.

Ah much better. If it overheats though will it auto shutdown? As much as I like having little to no noise on my older machine, safety comes first, as this is my working rig.

Ah much better. If it overheats though will it auto shutdown? As much as I like having little to no noise on my older machine, safety comes first, as this is my working rig.

You want to avoid that situation as you can cause permanent damage to your CPU. But yes, if it overheats, it will significantly lower the clock speed to save itself and ultimately shut down.

Okay so how do I best monitor these? Can't find any monitoring in the bios for some reason. Also - is there a site with maximum temps for all available components? As far as I'm aware maximum temperature cannot be generally defined but rather depends on the CPU/GPU chip in use.

Okay so how do I best monitor these? Can't find any monitoring in the bios for some reason. Also - is there a site with maximum temps for all available components? As far as I'm aware maximum temperature cannot be generally defined but rather depends on the CPU/GPU chip in use.

There are a number of programs out there that will give you CPU/GPU temps. For CPU you can use coretemp, real temp, or speedfan among others. For the GPU I tend to use gpu-z. There's not really a set maximum; different people have different limits. I'd say GPU's tend to run hotter in general, but thats ok. I'd say keep your CPU loaded <75C and GPU loaded <85C. The "maximum" that you'd see on a manufacturer website is likely a limit where the system would shut down. You don't want to get close to that.

CPU and GPU temps aren't really the problem, what unnerves me are for example the fans on the actual mainboard. How fast do these need to be? Where can I get a reading on North/Southbridge temperature?

On another note - how hot should it be in an air cooled well ventilated case?

CPU and GPU temps aren't really the problem, what unnerves me are for example the fans on the actual mainboard. How fast do these need to be? Where can I get a reading on North/Southbridge temperature?

On another note - how hot should it be in an air cooled well ventilated case?

Unfortunately there's not really an answer to those questions. Basically your fans need to be running fast enough so that nothing overheats. Not a helpful response, I know :/ There aren't necessarily temp sensors on a north/southbridge. Sometimes mobos will have them and they're usually listed as auxiliary temperatures on programs that read them. But there's no real way to know what the aux temp belongs to. You might be able to find info from the manufacturer or on forums. In general, your northbridge and southbridge should be perfectly fine with whatever stock cooling is on your motherboard. That's not something people usually worry about unless they're doing some serious OCing.

As far as case temperature, there's usually a "mobo" temp, and people tend to read that as ambient temperature in the case. I'd say you want that to be at most 10-15C above ambient temp in the room. So thats 35-40C. My case temp is usually around 32C. Keep in mind, though, that these temperature sensors are not very accurate. But they're close enough to give you a sense of where you're at.

Even if you slow down your fans, you probably don't have much to worry about, especially running at stock speeds. My mom ran her PC inside a cabinet for a long time. The thing would get hot as hell, but it still runs no problem.

Okay lets say my northbridge/southbridge overheats and my rig crashes as a result. How do I know that it is the northbridge/southbridge that failed?

In most cases, just case airflow is good enough to cool your NB/SB. Your SB never really needs cooled in the first place. Its not something I would worry about.

Okay lets say my northbridge/southbridge overheats and my rig crashes as a result. How do I know that it is the northbridge/southbridge that failed?

In most cases, just case airflow is good enough to cool your NB/SB. Your SB never really needs cooled in the first place. Its not something I would worry about.

+1. You really don't need to worry about it. Unfortunately there's also no real way to know that was the cause. I've been on these forums for almost 6 years I think and I've never seen anyone have problems because a chipset was overheating. Especially now that new systems have memory controllers on the CPU, if the chipset is having issues you'd only see a problem in peripheral stuff (i.e. hard drive, usb devices, ethernet, etc).

+1. You really don't need to worry about it. Unfortunately there's also no real way to know that was the cause. I've been on these forums for almost 6 years I think and I've never seen anyone have problems because a chipset was overheating. Especially now that new systems have memory controllers on the CPU, if the chipset is having issues you'd only see a problem in peripheral stuff (i.e. hard drive, usb devices, ethernet, etc).

Okay so extravagant mobo heatsinks are really just a marketing gag then? My GA-EX58-Extreme came with a huge heatsink that could be attached to the other heatsinks on the mobo that they called "Hybrid Silent Pipe 2." Looks like I can just throw that thing away then.

No. we never said, nor alluded to that. USE the heatsinks, you just dont need fans pointed directly at them as case airflow will take care of it WITH the help of the heatsink.

Yeah you don't necessarily need an enormous heatsink like on the cpu, but you definitely need something on there

Back