• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F6's next PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F6-

Registered
Hi all. As games become more demanding, and the need for more powerful systems, I am building a new PC.
Here's what I'm getting:

Motherboard: MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G

Graphics Card: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II Golden Edition GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz

SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT180G 3.5" 180GB SATA II

CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK HDT-S1284F 120mm HYPRO

Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis

PSU: KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Total Price is $1,407.60

Opinions and ideas are welcome.

Clockings I am hoping to achieve:

GPU: 1Ghz compared to 900mhz

CPU: Unlocked to 4 core and OCed up to 4Ghz compared to stock duo at 3.2Ghz

RAM: 666 or lower CAS and at 2133mhz

Take care. :)

Why 16gb of ram? go with 4, and use the savings to just get a hex core 1090t. From what I've read when you unlock cores, they don't oc well.

Why AMD ?

Get a 2500k + Gigabyte UD4 and it will BLOW OUT OF THE WATER that inferior CPU.
You can OC these 2500k's to 4.5 Ghz on stock cooler, think about it.

1000w IS WAAAAY to much for your build, grab a HX850 or a AX850.

Stay away from agility and vertex II drives. Get a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe one instead, or even a C300.

For the CPU cooler, get the CM Hyper 212+, better.

4 or 8 GB or RAM max, I got 12gb and I dont even use 40% of it.

AMD Rocks, besides, as it is it stands weak, but I am going to (hopefully) unlock 2 extra cores and OC it like crazy.
16 GB for bragging rights.
and 1000 for future upgrades

AMD Rocks, besides, as it is it stands weak, but I am going to (hopefully) unlock 2 extra cores and OC it like crazy.
Don't always count on that chip unlocking .. I have gone threw 2 cpu and both of them did not unlock ,so just don't count on it and personal i would just buy a quad core 955 be or something like it ..

Yeah, usually, AMD makes these 2-3 core cpu's to cut costs.

If they have a batch of, lets say, 5 000 cpu's that have 1 bad core out of 4, they will disable it and they will sell it as a 3-core cpu.

Now, you can get lucky and get a working 4-core cpu dumbed down to 2-cores, but you can also get a 4 core cpu with 2 faulty disabled cores.

What you're doing to yourself for that amount of money... As was said it's your money... but 16GB of RAM and a 560Ti and a Phenom II X2? Even a Phenom II X6 shouldn't be on your radar with that budget. You should be building a 2500/2600K system on a UD4 or better. 16GB of RAM is totally pointless unless you edit massive video/audio/cad stuff. For gaming 8GB is overkill. More than enough.

You're inflicting inferior performance on yourself without need. You can be an AMD fan if you want but the numbers don't lie and right now the 2600K is the chip to beat, stomping even Intel's Gulftown 6 core, which stomps AMD's Thuban 6 core, which stomps AMD's 2/4 core.

AM3 reaches EOL in like 3 months. Your AM3 system will not have any new CPUs coming out for it. The 1155 socket will for like 18 months to two years.

what id if don't buy the chip within 3 months?
AM3 reaches EOL in like 3 months. Your AM3 system will not have any new CPUs coming out for it. The 1155 socket will for like 18 months to two years.

Back