• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A bit of confusion (E2200)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zrike

First of, my specs= Intel Pentium DC E2200 2.20GHz processor, MSI P6NGM2-L GeForce 7050 Socket 775 Motherboard, Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667Mhz RAM, CRUCIAL 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHZ RAM, 600/650 psu(cant remember)

I read a bit about overclocking, and had a general idea on what to do. I booted up my bios and found I had less options then I'd hoped, and what I could modify confused me. I went in expecting to modify the cpu freq, but all I saw was fsb clock and mem clock.

--
The options I could find in my bios-
FSB Clock=default 800 (min 400-max 2500)
Memory Clock=default 666 (min 400-max 1400)
CPU Ratio=default 11 (min 6-max 11)

Memory Timing=all this is set to auto
Memory voltage=default 1.90 (min 1.80-max 2.00)

Cant modify the vcore, but in the monitor section of the bios says its 1.272
--

I want to push this cpu up to at least 3.0GHz, but now I'm confused on what to do. Where does that 800 come from? what do I do with the memory clock? Basically the options I was expecting weren't there, and I'm confused on what to do with the ones that are.

sorry, and thats for any help.

That board seems short on adjustments...

...adjustments to allow for any serious overclock.

Where does that 800 come from? << It comes from a play on words that Intel has used calling the cpus QUAD-
Pumped. Quad is four (4) so divide 800 by 4 and you get 200 FSB which is the speed we actually understand.

So to get close to 3.0Ghz you would take 275x4 = 1100 FSB which is in reality 275x11 = 3025Mhz.

Increasing FSB to 1100 (actually 275) will also increase the ram speed and yours may not be able to withstand the higher speed. If ram default voltage is at 1.9V you may try upping to the 2.0V allowed in your bios.

Not being able to increase Vcore or Voltage to the cpu...may mean you will not reach anything like 3.0Ghz speed.

If the board fails to boot with 1100FSB...then be prepared to clear the CMOS to return to what are your working
specifications at this time.

Last edited:
Thank, what you said really helped. I did have a scare where i had to clear the cmos, but I'm back in windows now. I currently have it set to 1000FSB, and 2.00 volts for the memory.

Just to be safe, I have a question or two.
1. Should i take the option for the FSB and memory clock off linked? If so should I leave the mem clock at 666?

2. How bad is it to leave the mem voltage at 2? Especially if i leave my pc on for long periods of time?

Once again, sorry for the questions, I just want to be careful on my first foray into cpu overclocking.

Thank, what you said really helped. I did have a scare where i had to clear the cmos, but I'm back in windows now. I currently have it set to 1000FSB, and 2.00 volts for the memory.

Just to be safe, I have a question or two.
1. Should i take the option for the FSB and memory clock off linked? If so should I leave the mem clock at 666?

2. How bad is it to leave the mem voltage at 2? Especially if i leave my pc on for long periods of time?

Once again, sorry for the questions, I just want to be careful on my first foray into cpu overclocking.

1. >> IF all is working without error...then no real reason to move to unlinked mode since the ram speed is following the cpu speed in moving upward as well.

2. >> Check the "recommended" voltages for the ram models you are using and if the "recommended" voltages for the ram itself is 1.9V then 2.0V is not a lot extra that it would greatly concern myself.

Back