• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very disappointed with gtx 460 SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I purchased the gtx 460 se (Fermi) 1gb edition card and I have to say, after reading all the reviews over various sites and finally decided on the purchase. I saw pretty much no real-time performance gain over my 8800gts 512. 3dmark 06 jumped my score only 1250 points over the previous card. In Rift my average FPS only changed from 40 to 43-45 fps on the same exact settings (not even on high).

3dmark 6 score from 13755 to 15003

After reading so much that this card even stock was just around twice as quick as the 8800gts, and see see no gain is a huge disappointment. Does this seem right for this card?

ASUS M4A77D
AMD Phenom II X2 555 (unlocked to x4 b55) @ 3.5
3gb Ram
GTX 460 SE 1GB

The SE version is the gimped version of the 460, so its not nearly as good as the regular 1gb. Maybe thats why. It should perform way better than an 8800gts 512 though.

What resolution are you gaming at?

Your res is probably your limiting factor.. Your GPU isn't working hard enough. Your CPU is doing a lot of the work..

Double edit: I removed something after reading the rest of the post.. You might wanna update your sig, :p

Also may I ask why you're running 3GB of RAM on a dual channel board ^^. Not that it hugely affects performance but still..

CPU bound res will play a role in that...

His rig is the one he listed in the post, not in the signature. ;)

Your res is probably your limiting factor.. Your GPU isn't working hard enough. Your CPU is doing a lot of the work..

Double edit: I removed something after reading the rest of the post.. You might wanna update your sig, :p

Also may I ask why you're running 3GB of RAM on a dual channel board ^^. Not that it hugely affects performance but still..

yeah, I always forget to update my sig lol. Because my old rig only had 1 gig..and when I bought this board, I ordered another 2gig dual channgel. It could use the 1 gig stick I had, so why not?

Really, being a lower resolution is whats limiting the card? The few games im playing..thats the highest resolution you can choose..

Are you sure the highest res you can choose is only because of the games? or because of the monitor you're running? if the monitors max res is 1280x1024, then your games max res will also be that. A game won't usually even display any res's higher than the max native on your screen.

maybe..but that was the max resolution in the options. Its just a cheapo 19in monitor. I honestly didn't think going at a lower resolution would hinder performance. Firgued it would allow better texture and shader settings...guess I was wrong..

3DMark06 is indeed CPU biased. Whereas 3DMark11 is GPU biased XD. OC'ing my CPU barely changes my results. It's my GPU OC that makes the biggest difference.

Time to get a nice 22-24 inch Widescreen 1080p monitor then? 22 inch is nice if you don't need that extra 2 inches. Saves a little space. I personally recommend Asus for PC monitors =).

3DMark06 is indeed CPU biased. Whereas 3DMark11 is GPU biased XD. OC'ing my CPU barely changes my results. It's my GPU OC that makes the biggest difference.

Time to get a nice 22-24 inch Widescreen 1080p monitor then? 22 inch is nice if you don't need that extra 2 inches. Saves a little space. I personally recommend Asus for PC monitors =).

so really going up in resolution will give a noticable performance boost?

eh maybe..can't really afford it now that I bought card...got a 32in and a 42 in I can hook up too..but always seems weird playing on those from a desk. Could never get the picture right either..always to big/small..colors looking off..and very edgy (like really high sharpness) never a nice clear picture as I could get on my monitor. This is over DVI too.

Also, 3dm06 is VERY CPU based - going from 5870, to 480, to 580, the score didnt change at all for me.

I see. Oh well..I know when I went from a 7600Gt to the 8800gts, mys core went from 5k to 13k lol. But no real point in benchmarking with mark11 then..nothing to compare to the 8800gts.

Your problem is video card bottlenecking.

Take a look at my Serious Sam 2 benchmarks:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674776

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670789

In the first benchmark you see the example of your case, where HD6850 aand HD6950 score the same, and in the second one you will see how drastically resolution and AA increase can change things.

Upgrade you CPU first, because those Athlons are an excuse for gaming CPU, then upgrade your monitor and you will see a difference between 8800GTS 512 and GTX460 SE, although don't expect something special from GTX460 SE, but still it should be around 50 % faster than 8800GTS 512.

BTW, i am glad that your motherboard is dead, it was really a low life product, get a decent one.

In the first benchmark you see the example of your case, where HD6850 aand HD6950 score the same, and in the second one you will see how drastically resolution and AA increase can change things.

Upgrade you CPU first, because those Athlons are an excuse for gaming CPU, then upgrade your monitor and you will see a difference between 8800GTS 512 and GTX460 SE, although don't expect something special from GTX460 SE, but still it should be around 50 % faster than 8800GTS 512.

BTW, i am glad that your motherboard is dead, it was really a low life product, get a decent one.

His CPU is a 555 BE x4. Lol. He needs to update his sig :p

He is not using the rig in his sig. Reread the op and see what he listed as his gaming rig. It certainly isn't an Athlon.

guys can someone explain me why upping the resolution will increase your performance when you are cpu bound.

If you are cpu bound and increase resolution, performance will not increase, it will stay the same until you increase resolution enough for the gpu to be the bottleneck.

So if you are really wondering why he is getting such poor fps increase you should look somewhere else.

Back