• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nidor

Registered
Heya, at the moment I am in the planning process of making my overkill computer, well more like two computers in one. And I plan to watercool all of it in time, and in this thread I would like to raise several questions that I have problems answering when discussing with myself in my head. Raddage and the likes I have under control, what I´m mostly aiming to keep this thread as is my (most likely silly) question thread.

At the moment I have plans for watercooling one I5-2500K, one I5-530(2nd comp), 2(maybe 3) 6970´s and one GTX 480(2nd comp). In my plans I have 2(maybe 3) MO-RA 3´s, the case layout will be 2 MO-RA´s on the side pulling air in and maybe one in the top pulling air out or just fans pulling air out.

I assume that a MCP655 pump won´t be able to pull water efficiently through all of this, am I right in thinking this? Would adding a 2nd pump in the loop make this giant project feasible?

If so, I was thinking of going something like:
Res->Pump->CPU1->CPU2->MO-RA->GPU 1+2->MO-RA->GPU3->MO-RA->Res again.
And adding another pump somewhere in there.

Thanks for your time!

(none of this will get purchased any time soon as I am in the middle of my finals at the moment, this is just to get my mind off the damn exams. 11 to go DUH)

Picture1.png

This is how I plan to have it, this is just a rough sketch at the moment, will have to do some hardware measurements and stuff later :)

Yellow is the mobo trays and I plan to have one one each side of the upside down V. The red is the MO-RA3´s, I might add one in the top too. The thing in the middle is a HDD rack.

PSU?

If my maths are good, you will need atleast 2 PSU for that build.
I'd more go for something, 1 rad top/ second front.
Two psu at the back, cable space somewhere.
I don't really like much the idea of inclined mobo, I would more go for something like the two mobo are like it is in a normal case but on each other. Between the plates where you put the mobo, there can be space for cables so you won't see them nor they won't block air flow. The mobo would be perpindicular to the radiator thus blocking less air than your actual set-up.
I don't know how large or long you want to make your build... Just some ideas, did an horrible paint job for you also :D

sansrehl.png

Well, I´m gonna have 2, maybe 3 PSU´s in it. (the last one for the cooling system only). I prefer the inclined idea, because if I have the MO-RA´s pulling in they will direct the air upwards and get their parts cooled a bit in the process :)

What you drew seems more like a standard case and thats what I want it to not look like, thanks for the input though :) I plan on having most of the ugly wiring in the area below the mobo´s and rads where the PSU´s will be.

I might go for an idea where I stack the mobo´s on top of eachother and have 1 RAD pulling air in and one pulling air out. But I think the inclined idea is pretty cool, it has most likely been done before but I haven´t seen it myself :)

just as a heads up: http://www.mountainmods.com/computer-cases-u2ufo-duality-c-21_71.html

I know you probably want to do this on your own, but thought I would throw it out there.

Well thanks, I have looked at the mountain mods cases, but they are not to my taste. I have looked at several self built cases for months and it just hit me, I know the right people to help me with this and that, I can do this! Sooo my head started working up ideas. To be honest I´m not even sure of the material I want to build in yet, I think aluminum and then painting it, or just using brushed aluminum. Time will tell ^^ But thanks for the input!

Oh, and BRB maths final :/

Last edited:
Back