• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Speedstep or not to speedstep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I've over clocked to 4.4 from 3.4 on the 2600k. I wanted more but the temps just wont let me. Anyways, does running the pc with speedstep off have any advantages/disadvantages. Will the chip live longer, will I get better speed, etc. using either way? The temps rise maybe 1-2 degrees higher with it off.
Is there a benefit to using turbo mode or no? Thanks guys.

When overclocking, you generally want SpeedStep off. It can cause crashes when idle or coming off the reduced speed. Not worth leaving on.

When overclocking, you generally want SpeedStep off. It can cause crashes when idle or coming off the reduced speed. Not worth leaving on.

Key word... can ;) I know its different with the new K series CPU's but from last gen backwards depending on your OC you could get SpeedStep to work without it crashing the CPU. If you are really pushing the limits of your system, then it might not work, but if you are giving it some breathing room, then it should work.

Just got to test it to find out if its stable or not, and if you notice the BSOD's you might have to contribute it to the speedstep causing it.

Leave it on. I see NO difference in my overclocks. All I do see though is a 16x multi being used when I know the system might need a rest from time to time.

Then again. It depends from chip to chip unless someone proves me wrong.

Man, how do you get up to 4.8? You must have liquid cooling. I have the so called BEST air cooler (Thermalright Silver Arrow) besides the Noctua nh-d14 and at 4.4 I run around 62c-65c under full load small fft's. Man that cooler is HUGE! Anyways, I have to be doing something wrong. I have plenty of fans (Antec 1200).

Last edited:
While I don't have a SB, I can attest that different chips clock differently with different voltages. If you are running your chip with your vcore set to auto it may be giving more volts that is needed causing your chip to heat up.

I'm using auto voltage. Kinda afraid to adjust it manually without a little help. With my new CPU cooler I ran prime95 at 4.8 for about 2 minutes and it got up to 75c so I stopped it. I def. do not wanna fry my cpu or MB for that matter. I'm also using a little more negative air pressure as I heard using just a little more negative than positive was best.

I'm using auto voltage. Kinda afraid to adjust it manually without a little help.

Well could very well be doing more harm to the chip then good keeping it on Auto Voltage when OCing. This is because it gives the chip more voltage than it needs for a given clock.

Use TurboV to see the actual voltages its using on load, then go set them manually in the bios and back them off one at a time.

Which voltages should I lower? CPU voltage, DDR voltage, VCCSA voltage, VCCIO voltage, CPU PLL voltage, and PCH voltage? And should I only go down 1 point at a time or more?

Out of the 5 i7s I have OC'd (3 bloomfields and 2 gulftowns) I have left speed stepping on with no ill effects. Manual voltage settings though...

Ok, sorry to take so long to get back to ya. Here are my voltages.
Stock voltages are: CPU 1.165/DDR 1.5/VCCSA 0.92500/VCCIO 1.05000/
CPU PLL 1.80000/PCH 1.05.
The only thing different than running it at 4.4 is the CPU voltage, all other voltages stay the same. Running at 4.4 it rises to 1.22. These are all under full load.

Trade off. Really cool temps while system is idle 70% of the time, or a 200Mhz extra OC with full heat and voltage? Hmmmm....

Back