• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 8800GTS temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Is it unusual for the EVGA 8800GTS 320MB version to idle at 75°C?

That is what I'm showing in HWMonitor, and GPU-Z as the temperature that is being detected by the drivers.

Though in GPU-Z it is also showing a temp of 66°C as detected by some on-board chip.

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-typed, that is supposed to be 8800GTS, not 8800GTX.

The BFG 8800 gts oc in one of my boxes idles ~60

:Just checked and its currently 62

Last edited:
The BFG 8800 gts oc in one of my boxes idles ~60

:Just checked and its currently 62

Well, that seems much better by comparison.

Are you running the fan on yours at stock speed or did you increase the speed? Oh, and aftermarket cooling or stock cooling?

I managed to get my temps to come down a little bit by increasing the fan speed to 80-100% so that I could get down to 64-67°C, by default it was only going at 60% and hitting all the way up to 76°C.

I don't know if the stock cooler is just inefficient or if it is just the nature of the beast and the card would run hot under any cooling, because I've read a lot about 9800GT's running hot and I have two of those and I don't believe I have ever seen temps go much over 50-55°C on them (stock coolers and stock fan speeds).

your temps is pretty much normal for an 8800gts. i have 4 year old 8800gts 640mb and it runs @ 84c idle :-/

Have you cleaned it recently?

Mine is in a server and was being used for folding. Stock fan, cooler everything but the TIM which was replaced with AS5 during a thorough cleaning. It idles in the low 60's and gets to around 85 under load.

Maybe the bfg version has a somewhat better cooler or something to make the temps differ.

Have you cleaned it recently?

Mine is in a server and was being used for folding. Stock fan, cooler everything but the TIM which was replaced with AS5 during a thorough cleaning. It idles in the low 60's and gets to around 85 under load.

Maybe the bfg version has a somewhat better cooler or something to make the temps differ.

Yes, I completely blew it out with compressed air when I replaced the thermal compound with AS5.

I had an 8800GTS 640 and I don't remember it idling anywhere near those temps. I thought it was in the mid 50's. For reading temperatures, I would suggest using RivaTuner.

If you open the side of your case and point a large box fan at it, do the temps drop substantially? If so, then something is wrong with your case cooling.

Failing that, I would redo the paste on the cooler and verify that it is installed properly.

I had an 8800GTS 640 and I don't remember it idling anywhere near those temps. I thought it was in the mid 50's. For reading temperatures, I would suggest using RivaTuner.

If you open the side of your case and point a large box fan at it, do the temps drop substantially? If so, then something is wrong with your case cooling.

Failing that, I would redo the paste on the cooler and verify that it is installed properly.

Mine idled around 53-58 deg C. It recently started crashing over 80 deg C when gaming so I RMA'd it to EVGA. They sent me a non-functional refurb, or else I would be able to give you a second data point as well.

Okay, got the temp issue fixed.

Turned out I didn't have a thick enough layer of thermal paste on the GPU, yes you read that right, as when I removed the heatsink I found that almost no thermal paste was on the heatsink itself indicating that there wasn't enough to make contact between the GPU and heatsink to conduct the heat away.

Replaced the Arctic Silver 5 with a thick layer of Arctic Cooling MX-2 and now she's idling at 56-58°C, hit a max temp of 65°C while running AquaMark3.

All seems good now temperature-wise.

I didn't actually think it was possible to put too little paste on, I've always been cautious of putting too much on, but apparently it is possible to have too little thermal paste and a GPU doesn't react too well to such poor cooling conditions.

Back