• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are your Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition overlclocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4ghz on water for a AMD 955? That's nothing at all. My i7 which is much more powerful and hotter does 4ghz easily on air. You should be at least doing 4.5ghz with your water cooling system. How hot do your CPU temps get? Will it just not go further or are you not pushing it all they way?

4ghz on water for a AMD 955? That's nothing at all. My i7 which is much more powerful and hotter does 4ghz easily on air. You should be at least doing 4.5ghz with your water cooling system. How hot do your CPU temps get? Will it just not go further or are you not pushing it all they way?

I'm probably doing it wrong. Is there a list of common overclocks for the 955BE somewhere on the web?

Is it normal for the CPU to be running at 54 degrees celcius @ 4Ghz?

your shot there shows that you probably have cool n quiet active as it shows 1000 mhz for your clock speed, is that 6870 in your sig in the loop as well? and what fans do you have on that gtx 480 rad of yours?

my 955 is a C2 which can hit 4ghz, but the voltage required goes from 1.47 to 1.55, I also have two 5770 in my loop so I rather not run it that high.

4ghz on a C3 like yours is common, I've seen higher but the diminishing returns from running it that high and the voltage to do so have people just leave it at 4 for the most part.

turn cool n quiet off and C1E, and turn off power saving features in windows, set it to performance, then open 3 instances of cpuz side by side showing cpu/memory/spd and post them on here. 54 degrees is where you want to stop adding voltage as that is normally the point of instabality for most current amd processors.

your shot there shows that you probably have cool n quiet active as it shows 1000 mhz for your clock speed, is that 6870 in your sig in the loop as well? and what fans do you have on that gtx 480 rad of yours?

my 955 is a C2 which can hit 4ghz, but the voltage required goes from 1.47 to 1.55, I also have two 5770 in my loop so I rather not run it that high.

4ghz on a C3 like yours is common, I've seen higher but the diminishing returns from running it that high and the voltage to do so have people just leave it at 4 for the most part.

turn cool n quiet off and C1E, and turn off power saving features in windows, set it to performance, then open 3 instances of cpuz side by side showing cpu/memory/spd and post them on here. 54 degrees is where you want to stop adding voltage as that is normally the point of instabality for most current amd processors.

Yes...the 6970 is part of the loop...it goes Pump-->GPU-->CPU-->Res-->Rad--back to pump

I'll have to reply back a little later.have an appointment, but I'll turn off the cmputer since the temps are high until get back.

Yes...the 6970 is part of the loop...it goes Pump-->GPU-->CPU-->Res-->Rad--back to pump

I'll have to reply back a little later.have an appointment, but I'll turn off the cmputer since the temps are high until get back.

ok, but make sure you let us know whats fans are on the rad, thats a pretty big detail for that particular rad.

I can do 3.8 on stock voltages with a hyper 212+ and past P95 small FFT for hours on end, i think with a small voltage bump i could do 4.0 on air, and the hyper 212+ is by no means high end air like the NH-D14 of jkessell! Now, some chips are better than others, maybe i just got lucky, maybe Jkessell got a bad one, hasent pushed that hard, who knows, but if you have H20 you OUGHT to be able to match us easily or beat us if your set up correctly.

Disclaimer: I have never done water cooling in my life

It seems to me that if your looking for CPU OC then your loop should hit CPU BEFORE GPU... cause by the time your H20 gets to cooling your 955 its carrying heat from the gpu...

I can do 3.8 on stock voltages with a hyper 212+ and past P95 small FFT for hours on end, i think with a small voltage bump i could do 4.0 on air, and the hyper 212+ is by no means high end air like the NH-D14 of jkessell! Now, some chips are better than others, maybe i just got lucky, maybe Jkessell got a bad one, hasent pushed that hard, who knows, but if you have H20 you OUGHT to be able to match us easily or beat us if your set up correctly.

Disclaimer: I have never done water cooling in my life

It seems to me that if your looking for CPU OC then your loop should hit CPU BEFORE GPU... cause by the time your H20 gets to cooling your 955 its carrying heat from the gpu...

Yeah. I just haven't bothered pushing it past 4.0ghz. I'm sure it can go much further but I see no reason to.

Yeah. I just haven't bothered pushing it past 4.0ghz. I'm sure it can go much further but I see no reason to.

4.0 is pretty friggin beast IMO, squeeking out .2-.3 more would be nice on paper but prolly not noticable in daily computing...

Ok, I tinkered with the BIOS a little, turned off C1E and Quiet n Cool and this is my screenshot of 3 instances of CPU-Z with the CPU @ 4.2Ghz. I havent benchmarked it yet to test for stability. I am about to do that now, but I wanted to post this ASAP in case you had any initial suggestions.

I've always overclocked, but hadn't upgraded my processor for a few years until recently....so I don't want to screw up :)

Your input is definitely appreciated!

that voltage is really high, you need a bit more NB speed, something around 2600, and your ram speed is really low for those timings seeing that you have not changed the fsb speed.

I would try to get that voltage down, do you have the cpu voltage set to auto?

edit: scratch that about the ram speed, just noticed the JDEC #2 profile, ram speed is good.

edit 2 : still don't know what kind of fans you're running on the rad.

that voltage is really high, you need a bit more NB speed, something around 2600, and your ram speed is really low for those timings seeing that you have not changed the fsb speed.

I would try to get that voltage down, do you have the cpu voltage set to auto?

edit: scratch that about the ram speed, just noticed the JDEC #2 profile, ram speed is good.

edit 2 : still don't know what kind of fans you're running on the rad.

I'm running just one 120mm fan on the radiator. I have 3 Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fans, but I was getting complaints from the people around me that the fans were too loud and distracted their TV watching....so I put one of the 120mm fans that came with my Thermaltake Speedo case on the radiator because its pretty quiet (120 x 25mm TurboFan, 1300rpm, 17dBA)

I just rand a few stress tests for a short period to test the CPU's stability.

SuperPI 1M=16.770s
SuperPI 32M= 17m 50.162s

Then I ran BurnIn Test V6.0 by Passmark and below is a screenshot of the results. I decided to run CoreTemp 0.99.8 while using the Passmark software. The temps really didnt change during the full 15 minute test. They fluctuated between 50 decrees Celcius and 53 degrees Celcius(90% of the burnin test the temps were 51-52 degrees Celcius, and immediately dropped to 44-46 degrees celcius when the tests stopped)

I have to go out right now, but when I get back I'll increase the NB speed and lower the voltages....but which voltages do I lower? I increased the RAM voltage, CPU voltage, NB voltage and I cant remember the other 2(probably HTT voltage and SB voltage). What voltages would you change, and what would you suggest they be changed to?

what Quietice said, and on the fans, the GTX480 has a high fin count and you need 4 fans on it to get it to run properly, those scythe you have are fast enough for a normal rad but they at the the starting speed for high per formance on the GTX480.

the GTX480 favors high static pressure 2000+ rpm fans. the slipstreams will still work ok, but you need 4 of them on there.

I own a 955...Check the year is 2013 almost. I can tell you this CPU can handle new gen gpu without much problem, with air cooling you can reach 3.8Ghz stable 4.0Ghz not so easy. I was planning on doing watercooling since you can move all later to a new PC (is an investment for your next PC). In resume you can go beyong 4.0 up to 4.2/4.4 with watercooling, is limit by the cpu itself not the máx temp you may reach. if you can reach 4.2 stay there, is enough to handle any single slot gpu outthere without bottleneck...I would recommend you hold for a year or so since new i7 will only provide you with 50% more speed, is a lot, but not necesary to reach 60fps in games. Save the money wait for price drop, get and SSD and stick to what you have.

Back