• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU's/GPU's have you mined with over the years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Voodoo Rufus created a fun post discussing what CPUs you've used as Daily Drivers over the years so I thought, why not continue the fun here.

What CPUs or GPUs have you used in your mining rigs over the years. I'm sure your list will be longer than mine, but it's not the size of the list that counts, right? Right?

OK, I'll start with my original Dr. Frankenmine.

CPUs
  • Sempron 145 (primary brain for Dr. Franken-mine)
  • Phenom II X4 955 (original brain for Dr. Franken-mine)
  • Phenom II X6 1090T (Brain for my Gaming PC during Dr. Franken-mine era)
  • Ryzen 3700X (Current gaming RIG a.k.a. Predator mining Monero)
  • Ryzen 3900X (Current mixed rig mining Monero)

GPUs
  • AMD HD7850 x2 (Dr. Franken-mine mined in pools like waffle, hashcows, etc)
  • AMD HD7950 (same as above but was my primary gaming GPU at the time)
  • AMD RX 5600 XT (Current Mixed rig mining ETH)
  • AMD RX 5700 XT (Current Mixed rig mining ETH)
  • RTX 2060 (Current Mixed rig mining ETH)
  • RTX 2070 (Current Gaming rig mining ETH)
  • RTX 3070 (Current Mixed rig mining ETH)
  • RX 580(Current Mixed rig mining ETH)
  • RX 570 (Current Mixed rig mining ETH)

I have mostly specialized in energy efficient cryptocurrencies mined with low power ARM platforms, back when there were quite a few coins that were profitable.
Allwinner A20
OMAP 3
OMAP 4
Rockchip RK3288CX (still mining!)
Snapdragon S2
Snapdragon 210
Snapdragon 410 (great, have 3 that still work after mining with them for 3 years then retired)
Tegra 3 (still mining!)

Coins I mined with them:
Checkpoints
Perk
Realbucks
Rewardable/"Squirrelcoin"
Swagbucks
(and probably a few others I forgot about...)

The Allwinner was in a really cheap tablet so most likely the poor build quality is to blame for it failing. The OMAPs (in a Nook Color and a Kindle Fire) apparently aren't designed for a sustained high load and the voltage regulators fail after a few months of such service. The Snapdragons are in really cheap smartphones and it's not surprising that the super cheap ZTEs break down fairly frequently, but the slightly less cheap Moto Es last quite well with all 3 still working. The Tegra 3 is out of a Nexus 7 with a bad touchscreen, still works awesome for mining Swagbucks. The Rockchip ASIC I won in a contest, still in service and will become a collector's item one day.

I also used to mine earnhoney with a Raspberry Pi 3 (not worth it because not stable) and with a Core i7 3930k, still mine Curecoin/Foldingcoin with a GTX 970.

My first one was probably an HD7970 or maybe a gen or two older back in 2012 mining btc directly. Stopped after earning .25btc in a day and thought it was dumb. Lol [emoji23]

After that my next time was with a handful of 280x and 290x GPUs, I think I had around 10 at one point. Either mining Montero, Litecoin, or multi-mining and converting directly to BTC. This was right around with ETH was starting but I didn't even look at it (facepalm). At that point I also had a zeus asic miner for ltc as well, ROId, but barely and it was loud as hell and super hot.

I stopped for a while until the past 10 months or so when I found that 3080s were good for mining, so have been doing that with the GPUs.

CPU-wise was just a 4770k and my 5900x for a little while on monero, but stopped as it wasn't worth the extra heat with it getting so hot.

I started with a GTX 1080Ti and two GTX 1080 cards because that is what my two machines at the time had. I knew nothing about mining at that point.

Now I have:

KitFox:
Core i3-10100
MSI Z490 A Pro
2x Asus RTX 3060 Ti Strix
1x Asus RTX 3070 Dual
1x Asus RTX 3070 OC
1x RTX 3070 FE
1x Asus RTX 2070 Super Strix
1x Zotac GTX 1660 Super

Gladius
i3-10100F
MSI MAG B460 Tomahawk
5x Asus RX 5700 XT Strix

NightHawk:
Core 2 Extreme QX9650
Asus P5Q-E
1x MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X
1x MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus
1x MSI GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X
1x MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus
1x MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Ender
Core i9-10900K
MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Carbon Wifi
1x Power Color RX 6800 XT Red Devil

Wyvern: not running yet
Ryzon 5950X [In route]
MSI X570 Prestige Creation
1x Gigabyte RX 6900 XT Xtreme Waterforce

Firefly:
Core 2 Quad Q9650
Asus P5N-D
1x Sapphire RX 580 Pulse OC 8GB
1x Sapphire RX 6600 XT Pulse OC [in route]
1x Sapphire RX 6700 XT Nitro+

Fun tidbit both NightHawk and Firefly are rocking old spinning hard drives because I had them and I didn't want to take money away from buy graphics cards just to get a faster boot time on machines that run months at a time untouched outside of dusting.

I need to update mine. I've added an RX 570 and an RX 580 since creating this thread.

Back