• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need opinions on what I should upgrade .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

As my rig sits now I am pretty happy with it , I have had it runing for the last few months @ 4ghz on the stock cooling and have not been left wanting . I killed my MB , and I havnt replaced it . ( I had a i7 920 sitting in the corner so I swaped out the needed parts and have been using this just fine ) .
My primary game I play is CSGO but I am known to grab new titles and play those for a bit . Im wondering where I should put some Money I was given for xmas . It has been a few years with out any major PC parts , and I feel out of the loop . Things I was considering
-New MB and stay with my I5(in the sig) and pickup some new water cooling goodies as mine are getting dated
-and maybe get a new GFX card but here lies my problem I feel my card is still a work horse 4gig ram . Im not current on GPUs like I once was , but It looks like a 960 would only be a small upgrade and would need to jump to @ least a 970 ( or higher cause of the 3.5gig thing) .
If im worng in my thinking Please LMK

There are some very good deals on right now
Core™ i5-4690K Processor Bundle w/ Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI Motherboard 410$
IDK if I should be jumping up the CPU progression now or not .

ANY and all imput is welcome as far as gpus go ( I am not interested in AMD CPUs at the moment ) OR should I scrap all these and get a 1440 monitor Im using a Benq 1080 22 inch

So I'm confused. Is the motherboard in your Sig the one you fried? If you are using a socket 775 system (the i7 920?) then I would definitely upgrade to a newer motherboard and CPU. But you never told us how much you are actually willing to spend.

If you upgrade the GPU then the i7 920 may become the bottleneck and in my opinion the motherboard and CPU are more foundational components.

Im using a lga 1366 920 as a backup Im getting eather a new MB+gfx card+water block and rad or a NEW MB AND CPU

So the 4670 is that old that I should setup up to the next gen CPU I would have though just getting a new MB for the 4670k + a gfx card would give me the best fps gain .

I think you should just buy another motherboard for the 4670k and then upgrade the GPU as you can afford it. It is still a very, very relevant chip. Skylake is just a slight improvement at the same clock speed. Not worth investing $300+ bucks to get 10% performance gain in my book. But if you are itching to upgrade then go for the latest and greatest CPU and motherboard. That's all we're saying. Most bang for the buck would be to replace the fried socket 1150 motherboard and upgrade the GPU.

OP said in first post he "killed his motherboard" and his Sig shows a 4670K so I'm assuming that CPU is still viable. My take from what he said was that when the motherboard for the 4670k went bye bye he switched to the i7 920k. But I'm still not clear on that.

I'm on the 920 till I figure out if I should sell my 4670 get a new setup or should I just spend the extra on a better gpu ( where I'm leaning). And if so what is a good gpu that would feel like a upgrade from the 670.
Sry these posts are a bit confusing I have had a few noggs :screwy: I don't really have a budget but don't like wasting $

So am correct in concluding it is the motherboard that went with the 4670 that was fried?

Nvidia GTX 980 would be a significant upgrade if you have the CPU to support it and not bottleneck it.

So am correct in concluding it is the motherboard that went with the 4670 that was fried?

Nvidia GTX 980 would be a significant upgrade if you have the CPU to support it and not bottleneck it.

Yes

Back