• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

droid X2 or 32 gig iphone 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poppedkernel

My birthday is coming up soon and I'm in desperate need of a new phone (seriously my envy touch i think has water damage or something, the screen changes colors and the phone shuts off randomly but thats besides the case)
I'm debating between the droid X2 and the iphone4 32 gig. droid X2 has a bigger screen, up to 16 gigs of memory, 8mp camera, 720p, and if I'm correct android phones are overclockable. but which in your your opinions should i get?

It really comes down to what OS you want. Android phones can be rooted and loaded with a custom ROM pretty easily. Apps will also cost you a lot less for Android than they will for iOS. The iPhone will be a lot more user friendly, but a lot less geek friendly. The iPhone will be more media friendly and has a better selection of games, but you have to pay for all of that. Head over to Verizon and play with both of them for a while.

Droid X2? I have the droid x and love it because it costs about 50 bucks to upgrade another 32gb of memory. You can hide the sd card under the battery since you have to remove it to change sd cards anyway.

My birthday is coming up soon and I'm in desperate need of a new phone (seriously my envy touch i think has water damage or something, the screen changes colors and the phone shuts off randomly but thats besides the case)

Everyone I know who has an EnV Touch has the same problems. Mine had all of those, and an unusable touch screen.

Same situation, I was set on the Incredible 2 but now they announced the Droid X2...

X2 is also dual core, which imho is a huge advantage over the iphone 4, sadly no LTE though. I'd consider waiting for an LTE dual core phone. Droid 3 or Droid boinc should be out this summer. Version LTE speeds make HSPA+ and WiMax look like the joke they are. I really wish Sprint would stop doing their own thing and wasting billions on WiMax!

X2 is also dual core, which imho is a huge advantage over the iphone 4, sadly no LTE though. I'd consider waiting for an LTE dual core phone. Droid 3 or Droid boinc should be out this summer. Version LTE speeds make HSPA+ and WiMax look like the joke they are. I really wish Sprint would stop doing their own thing and wasting billions on WiMax!

WiMax is still pretty darn fast. Most people are still rolling with 3G these days. HSPA+ is no slouch either. Honestly, LTE is a little overkill for a little smartphone with 4 inch screen. What do you need all that speed for? The only benefit that I see to having those kinds of speeds would be when using the phone as a hotspot for a laptop or tablet. In my area WiMax is just as fast as my Comcast cable connection.

I don't mean to bash LTE. It's definitely the fastest technology available right now. But is it necessary? I just haven't encountered any scenarios where I was wishing my 3G was faster. I can't imagine being disappointed with WiMax or HSPA+.

At any rate... Sprint would have to invest billions of dollars to build their own LTE network too. They went with WiMax because LTE wasn't available at the time and they were the first provider with 4G, which helped them grow. It was the right decision in my opinion. Besides, neither WiMax nor LTE have reached their full potential yet. LTE will always be faster but there will come a point when both are more than fast enough. For me, personally, we've already reached that point.

My advice is pick your carrier based on value. LTE might be faster but it's probably not worth the extra money unless you really do need that much speed.

I think I'm going with the X2, I'd wait but I need a new phone. besides, if i need more memory I can slap on a new sd card.

Why is that? It actually proven to provide better performance? Or it's a gimmick/bragging rights that just sucks more battery life?

Here is the only review I can find of a dual core phone at the moment, http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/ . If you read the batterylife ans software sections you'll see what I mean. One of the main things about a dual core phone is actually the battery life! Believe it or not, having a dual core increases battery life because the phone is able to stay in low power states more. ARM needs all the processing power it can get, dual cores are what will make phones have good battery life and be ultra responsive. I image the 2nd gen of dual cores will be amazing. Now the quad cores of tegra 4 I'm not so sure about. We'll have to see.

I think I'm going with the X2, I'd wait but I need a new phone. besides, if i need more memory I can slap on a new sd card.

It seems to me that an iPhone 4 performs as good or better than a single core Android phone. However, if you compare a single core Android phone to a dual core Android phone, you'll see much better performance. Android phones are always running tons of apps in the background. Single core phones get bogged down big time. I have to use an auto-killer app just to keep my phone functional. Granted, my Hero is an older Android phone, but the same is true for any of the newer ones.

Smartphones today with all of their multitasking capabilities are really just mini computers. This kinda reminds of the single core vs. dual core debate surrounding PCs from five or six years ago.

The responsiveness of the phones really comes down to the software. Android gingerbread has really alleviated most of apples advantages even on the leaked versions. If i were u go buy a used cheapy phone and use it to hold u over until dual core 4g phones come out. 4g is amazing as far as i can tell at the verizon store. It just makes everythn snappier. I have a droidx and no complaints. Enjoying leaked gingerbread waiting for the official version

I love my iphone, I only have the 16Gb version, but I couldnt live without it. I have never used a Droid so I can't say anything as to what one is better.

Apps will also cost you a lot less for Android than they will for iOS. The iPhone will be a lot more user friendly, but a lot less geek friendly. The iPhone will be more media friendly and has a better selection of games,

If you jailbreak it then it becomes way awsome. I dont have the phone but i have a 32gb touch and for the last 3 days Ive been geekin right out. I can use my ipod as a phone, control my pc, its frikin insane, my gf is calling me a nerd, but I used to be cool.

I dont own a cell, Im waiting a bit to see what what everyone is going to do. I do need one, just not right now.. especially since iphone5 is comeing in sept I think :D

If Im not at home or work I am incomunicado, and I like that :)

all motorola phones are locked down (cant really flash custom roms) hTc incredible 2 or droid charge if you want android ;) iphone i have no experience with.

If you jailbreak it then it becomes way awsome. I dont have the phone but i have a 32gb touch and for the last 3 days Ive been geekin right out. I can use my ipod as a phone, control my pc, its frikin insane, my gf is calling me a nerd, but I used to be cool.

I dont own a cell, Im waiting a bit to see what what everyone is going to do. I do need one, just not right now.. especially since iphone5 is comeing in sept I think :D

If Im not at home or work I am incomunicado, and I like that :)

Yea, I rooted my Android phone and that's been really nice. I was able to overclock it and I can tether it to my laptop without paying the extra fee for tethering service :) I'm also running Android 2.2 when the stock OS was only updated to 2.1 for my phone.

Back