• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Mobile, Whats your opinion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I'm locked into a two year contract with T-Mobile as of yesterday and i didn't even think to check out the carriers reputation, i figured AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile were all the same and shared the same towers... well now iv'e educated myself a bit and i'm alittle bit scared.

First of all, i picked them because they had what i was looking for, unlimited text built into 1000 mins shared family plan with unlimited data on both phones for roughly $100 a month, and we got free touch screen phones during a promotion to boot.

HTC Amaze 4g on HSPA+ 42mbps
haswellleadwatermark-01.jpg

Normally $260 with a 2 year contract i went ahead and took advantage of there little weekend promotion, i believe it's back up to $299 with a 2yr contract tomorrow (28th). So this phone is basically a bit of a higher end phone than the Galaxy SII but not quite a Galaxy SIII, the 8mp camera is what really sold me, i like to take alot of pictures and on top of that i want them to be good quality, but now i have my worries about the carrier, i see a whole bunch of complaints about poor 4g service, slow speeds, 4g and 2g swapping, rampant hidden charges if you don't pay the extra for a bill breakdown to "catch" them. It's a rather bulk of horror stories, while my AT&T experience wasn't as pleasant as i would have liked... for example charging me $119 a month and that was no data included and then the plan goes down to $79 a month 2 months later and getting a middle finger from the company, i will say that the call quality was really good and my service was available 99% of the time for 2 years.

Anyone have T-Mobile that cares to share there experience at all?

PS: My last phone was a blackberry and had no data... this will be my first ever 'real' smartphone and on top of that the android market is something completly new to me.

TMO use to be the cheap option all around and had great customer service. Now their service is worse and they charge you fees for upgrading at the end of your comtract. Look it up. :-/

Thanks Steve, i was looking around for a early termination fee JUST incase i was not pleased at some point (Because lets face it $250 is alot cheaper than $3200/2yrs) and i found out i actually have 20 days from the order date without incuring that $250 fee. But i do loos that deposit which was another $100 per phone, which btw i think is rediculous, i have pretty damn good credit, on time or early payments with anything iv'e ever had, nothing against me... they told me "it's because you've never had service with us" that was almost strike one to be honest, iv'e had AT&T and SPrint and neither of them charged me in the past, anyway that aside $500 is still cheaper than what would be $3200, but i would have to be EXTREMLY unhappy to have to decide to eat $500 gone. But considering i live and work right around raleigh here i have a feeling i'm going to be pretty satisfied.

I never had issues with calls. Data seemed to be slow since I was stuck on EDGE. And like I said, their OLD customer service was really great combined with being the cheapest option in town.

I've been happy with them for my voice/txt (no data) plan for the last few years. Good service in a lot of different places, they haven't jacked up the price of my plan even though they don't offer it anymore, etc. It's been fine.

Here in michigan service is a complete nightmare and i'm stuck for another year......... TERRIBLE IMO

If you get a good reception from t mobile towers around where you live/work, you should be good.
I've had t mobile for a year now (one year left in contract)....On the same family plan as you. (1000 mins, unlimited text, and 2GB of high speed data).

Haven't had any issues (Except one...see below)
4G sucks RIGHT where I live, but that's ok because I'm on wifi at home.
If I go a few blocks from my house I get a better signal and can pull 5-15Mbps.

I'm really happy with them, plus they are a lot cheaper then anyone else.
After contract is up I might switch to their prepaid option ($30 for 100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5GB of data)

The ONLY thing that has pissed me off, is cabin where we go on vacation a few times a year. They only have AT&T towers around there, and tmobile has a 50MB data limit while roaming for my plan....so for a week at a time i'm stuck without hardly any data.

Back