• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 OC'd with Corsair H60

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dchristy47

Registered
Hello all and happy memorial day! I've been overclocking my i7 920 (c0/c1 revision and 4 stepping) and achieved a 3.5ghz clock with 1.31..something voltage settings. I ran prime 95 on the setting that produces max heat and it goes to 70 degrees Celsius and does not go higher. I have the h60 in a push pull configuration with I think 8 case fans, 3 of those being 230mm fans and my room is about 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
-I also have hyperthreading enabled as well as turbo.
-My idle is around 36 degrees Celsius.

I'm just checking to make sure this is a safe 24/7 clock. I'd like to push 4ghz but I dont think that will happen because I'm not wanting to push near the TJMAX...Any thoughts or concerns? Maybe I can lower the voltage settings and see if it is still stable because I have not messed with voltage too much.

Thanks again!

Those temps are way too high for 3.5ghz and the voltage is. Have you tried lowering the voltage? Also you want to take turbo off and any power saving features. Try to remount the cooler because in push/pull, your temps should be much lower. You should be able to at least get to 3.8ghz with that cooler.

you were right! I decreased the voltages, Im at 1.2 and the clock is the same and idle temps are around 36 now! Ill test prime95 and see if its stable here soon.

How did you get the h60 to run in a push pull? Could you tell me the exact screw type or better yet send me some :D

I ran 4.0 on my i7 for a while with a DK. Not the best air cooler in the wold, but nothing too bad either. I can't remember my exact voltage, as I kept having small issues with my ram and I backed it down. I'm running at 3.8 now and something like 1.3 volts. Max temps I saw on my i7 at 4.0 were 80c, but its run fine for two years like that. You should be able to get 4.0 easy with that cooler if i could do it on my DK.

c0/c1 revision is a nightmare to OC to 4.0 plus...(im not flaming your choice) :0

My old "c0" i ditched for a "D0" and bang straight up to 4.2 no worries, all things considered....i really struggle to get a stable OC past 3.8 on the c0...

CompuTamer said:
I ran 4.0 on my i7 for a while with a DK

Me too, but when I decided to aim for 4.2GHz the DK had to go. Even with a powerful fan I was getting temps in excess of 90C after just a few minutes of P95. The copper TRUE beats it by a good 20C or so.

gottistar said:
c0/c1 revision is a nightmare to OC to 4.0 plus...(im not flaming your choice) :0

My old "c0" i ditched for a "D0" and bang straight up to 4.2 no worries, all things considered....i really struggle to get a stable OC past 3.8 on the c0...

You beat me to it :p

@ dchristy47, C0 steppings are definitely harder to OC which is why I went with a D0. It does 4GHz @ 1.28v and with a decent fan speed I can keep it at about 70C, but this is some of the best air cooling avaiable so don't expect a similar figure!

Take no note of idle temp. Sometimes my idle temp is 40-45, but that's because the chip runs hot, plain and simple. As long as you keep the load temp down, idle temp is not a concern. Also, bear in mind that HT makes the chip run considerably hotter under load; disable it if you don't need it.

Back