• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going For New Gaming Rig Need advice ^_^

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Radijin

Here's the build i am thinking and need more for it ..

MB : Maximus IV Extreme
CPU : Intel 2600k
GPU : 2x Asus 560 Ti DCII TOP in SLI
Ram : G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800 CL7 1600MHz
Hydro CPU Cooling :
Case:
SPU:

Going for OverClocking a lil bit .. If there's something i must replace tell me..
So Need advice to check if this build gonna be the best choice for me in gaming and encoding ... i didn't pick the cooling/case/SPU till now coz i am confused .. waiting your replay with help .. ty

M4E has one slots in between each PCIe slot, the DCII is a tri slot cooler. You might be able to move it down a PCIe slot and not lose bandwidth though, I'd be surprised if you couldn't on such a high end board. Either way, one more powerful card > two lesser. I'd go 6970 or 580 here.

PSU, I'd go with a quality 750W or 850W if you go single higher card and SLI later. Corsair FTW :thup:.

Case, almost everything on the market it adequate, post something that suits your taste.

Mb: if you are going to overclock just a lil bit, go with something cheaper. This mb has a lot of cool futures if you are not advanced overclocker but you want to learn and play with that. But more advanced overclockers can have a good use of it too.

Cpu: go with i5 2500k because probably you aren't going to use extra futures of i7 if you are not making more advanced tasks. There is only 0.1 difference in speed and $90.

Gpu: go with gtx 580. I recommend msi twII or lighting (twIII). Great cooling and in case of twIII great overclocking and voltage checking futures.

Ram: i like g.skill ripjawsx. I will go with 8gb. I don't know how much is yours, haven't checked that.

Cpu cooler: go with corsair h70 or antec kuhler h2o 920. Or build your own water cooling and change gpu to 580 with water block. But this will be much more expensive.

Case: i love cooler master haf x. But you can go with smaller haf 932. But case depends only from this what you would like to see. Just remember to chose one with high air flow.

Psu; i think that 850w should be enough for even sli and good overclocking with full water cooling. Go with ocz or corsair. I recommend something 80+ gold

This is just my opinion. Make a rig which will make you happy. :D

Last edited:
Here's the build i am thinking and need more for it ..

MB : Maximus IV Extreme
CPU : Intel 2600k
GPU : 2x Asus 560 Ti DCII TOP in SLI
Ram : G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800 CL7 1600MHz
Hydro CPU Cooling :
Case:
SPU:

Going for OverClocking a lil bit .. If there's something i must replace tell me..
So Need advice to check if this build gonna be the best choice for me in gaming and encoding ... i didn't pick the cooling/case/SPU till now coz i am confused .. waiting your replay with help .. ty

Do you have a budget you're looking at? That would help.

As for OC, there are plenty of boards that are much cheaper, that will OC very well. If you're not looking to push out EVERY ounce of juice there's just no need. It'd be better to pump the $$ into something else like an SSD. Especially when it comes to OCing SB chips.

Depending on how hard your encoding is will determine how much of a difference you'll see with the 2600k. If you're going to be doing mostly gaming with a bit of encoding on the side, then you probably won't see much. If its your living and you push it every day, its probably worth the extra $90.

+1 for a 580. A single higher end card will give you better performance over all, and will also use less power, therefore create less heat. A win-win.

Case is largely personal. Basically look for airflow. Other than that, as long as you like the features, price, and looks, then its a good case for you.

For your PSU, read over this sticky. Good information. A good 750W should be enough to include a few upgrades here and there. The biggest choice is modular or non-modular. Modular is a wonderful convenience. But that's it. It is not necessary, and you won't see much of a noticeable difference in performance. If its a choice between a more quality non-modular, and a modular psu of lesser quality, I would pick the non-modular. Better to have clean, efficient power going to your parts that a couple less wires.

Cooling- you can get very good OC's off of a SB. If you're talking about a pre-made CPU watercooler like the corsair H70, then I would personally say you are wasting your time. They don't perform much better if at all than high end air which will cost you about the same. They're just not worth the effort. If you wanted to build a full loop, it may be worth it, but again, not if you're not planning to OC to the depths of your chip. If you're looking for the best without a full loop, I'd say look at a Noctua NH-D14.

G.Skill is AWESOME. That's all I have to say about it.

Good Luck!!! And :welcome:

Let's say with all your great help :) [ i am totaly thanx] i will OC all what i can to get the best of performance let say the new changes

Budget : 2500 $ [Case Only]
MB : Maximus IV Extreme [If there another SandyBridge MB better for OCing list it down ]
CPU : Intel 2600k OC 4.8Ghz + as far as i can go with safety power .
Note .. I got a problem with weather here it's kinda so hot in summer [ Egypt]
even if you have air condition :D
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked .. i am going to work with CS5 [PhotoShop] + Encoding videos + gaming as its the main entertainment in our life beside womens :D recomment me the best card
Ram : G.skill pick one which suit the SandyBridge + OCing .
PSU : 850 + for OCing and SLI later, Give me da best for both :D
CPU/GPU Cooling : as said before it's hot even if i got air condition so i need a good hydro cooling .. recommend me something but not too expensive.
Case : Something that fit hydro cooling + fans allot of it >.<

Didn't upgrade my pc from 9 years + :D so it worth a huge change or what do you think xD

Just to ensure, for your budget we are talking about USD? If so, this is what I would recommend:

CPU: i7 2600k
Mobo: Maximus IV Extreme
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB
GPU: GTX 580
PSU: Corsair HX1000 (modular)
Cooling: Antec Kuhler H2O 920
SSD: OCZ Solid 3 120GB
HDD: Spinpoint F3 1TB

That being said, IMO, you should still consider the Noctua NH-D14. You're not going to find a Hydro CPU cooler that is any better, short of making a full custom loop, which will be much more expensive.

Also, if you can shell out an extra ~$200 you can go up to a GTX 590 now, rather than SLI later on with two GTX 580's. Either way you will not be disappointed though.

nonono you didn't understand you put (case) in there and i'm like 2500 bucks for a case? dafuq are you spending your money on? :p

Some Questions :
Why did you pick card from MSI and if i am going for 590 as you said still go after MSI ?
About Rams why corsair and alot ppl say G.Skill is more for sandybridge ?
What the profit from using a SSD For OS ?
Where is the case that will fit all that :D ?

Ty for your repaly :)

Just to ensure, for your budget we are talking about USD? If so, this is what I would recommend:

CPU: i7 2600k
Mobo: Maximus IV Extreme
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB
GPU: GTX 580
PSU: Corsair HX1000 (modular)
SSD: OCZ Solid 3 120GB
HDD: Spinpoint F3 1TB

That being said, IMO, you should still consider the Noctua NH-D14. You're not going to find a Hydro CPU cooler that is any better, short of making a full custom loop, which will be much more expensive.

Also, if you can shell out an extra ~$200 you can go up to a GTX 590 now, rather than SLI later on with two GTX 580's. Either way you will not be disappointed though.

This rig looks nice. But I would change PSU to OCZ ZX 1000W and maybe SSD to [URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706']OCZ Vertex 3[/URL].

GTX 590 is a good idea too. If you would make full water loop you can buy one with water block from EVGA.

The card I chose is a reference. The MSI Lightning series of cards is very solid, runs cool, and will OC fairly well if you decide to. EVGA is also a good company to look at.

I use G.Skill in almost everything I build. I do use it in fact in every build I use. One company to another doesn't really work any better with Intel or AMD. G.Skill or Corsair are both very good companies. G.Skill out of the box will go toe-to-toe with the Corsair, but Corsair tends to OC a little bit better is why I suggested it.

An SSD for the OS is the way to go if you have the money. Hard Drives are really only used to load data or programs from. Once they're open they're on your RAM. An SSD will allow your boot time to be minimal. From turning on my computer to being logged in and ready to use it take less than 30 seconds. That's using an old SATA II SSD. With a SATA III it will probably be noticeably quicker from what I have read. Its just a very nice perk, that with your budget, should definitely not be overlooked. Vertex 3 or Solid 3, you'll be happy either way.

Case is, again, largely personal. Most mid-tower and any full-tower should fit it. The Cooler Master HAF 932Advanced or HAF X are popular choices for looks, airflow, and features as far as full-towers are concerned.The Antec 1200 and NZXT Phantom are also popular. For a bit more, you can look at Corsair Obsidian 800 or Thermaltake Level10 GT. I personally love my HAF 932A.

My suggestions were based largely on your budget. There are things to look at to decrease price. These are just all top-of-the-line parts.

Last edited:
There are tons of great cases, mid and full tower. The most important factors you need to consider is airflow and Mobo compatibility (ensure it has the proper setup to fit ATX, E-ATX, m-ATX, etc). After that it truly is a matter of preference. Cooler Master, Antec, NZXT, Corair, Thermaltake and Lian-Li are some of the more popular companies. Look around to find one that fits your budget, and desire. We can help tell you if it will have enough airflow or not, and maybe also tell you some pros/cons.

Some conveniences that people look for:
Cable Management options
"Tool-less" construction (i.e. no need for screws, etc, to keep everything in place)
Water cooling options/space
LED color
Air filters

The Corsair Obsidian 800 it's good got dust filters and allot of space and water cooling on top that's suits me
The the final picks will be like dat ..

MB : Asus Maximus IV Extreme
CPU: Intel 2600k
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Hydro Copper
Ram: Corsair Dominator 8GB
PSU: OCZ ZX 1000W
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3
HDD: 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB ( 0 Raid )
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800

Another question for the vega 590 got only 630Mhz GPU Clock Speed is that is a problem or it can be OCed ? Ty for the rapid answers :)

You can OC it. Shouldn't be a problem. You may also be able to look around for one that is slightly overclocked out of the box. They usually run a few more bucks.

You'll be very happy with that set up. I would also spend a few extra bucks for some after market TIM. The Antec Kuhler problably comes with some, but it probably isn't the best. I highly suggest MX-4. Great stuff. There are tons of options, and doing a little research on it won't hurt at all.

you want to confuse me again :D
explain more for me coz i didn't get it =.="
there low cards with OC 925Mhz from asus the one i said befor Asus 560 Direct Cu II Top maybe i can save from the 590 and go for 2 better cards in SLI or what do you think ?

I would say going with a single 590 would be better. Saves on power and heat. However, as with any other card, many manufacturers take the base clock and will bump it up a bit to sell a "superclocked" version of the same card. That way you don't have to OC it yourself, and it will come stable. However, after I posted I did about 10 minutes of research and could not find a "super clocked" version of the 590. I would still definitely recommend the 590 though over an SLI setup, and then if you find you need it overclock it yourself.

Just as an example of what I was talking about:

Here is a GTX 580
Here is a GTX 580 Superclocked

They just slightly raise the Core Clock on their base model, which is the same thing you'll do by OCing it. However, GTX 590 is the way to go IMO.

Ok got that put in mind you will be with me in overclocking the pc components :D so add me with any means xD and ty for your full information about my questions hope you keep it up always :)

Somthing i forget how far Gtx 590 can be Oced ?

Last edited:
Back