• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Price/Performance Gaming Video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flysky

Registered
The rest of my build is mostly set but the video card research is giving me a headache. I need a card that:
-is great for single 1080 display (22-24"); no Eyefinity ever
-hopefully last a year (max settings; DX11)
-won't get too hot/have fans too loud
-not too expensive ($120-$200 range)
Games I'll be playing (current and upcoming): Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, Batman: AC, Resident Evil... I've no interest in Crysis series at all.
My cpu will be 1090t, and I've only ever used AMD cards, but at this point, I'm not real picky. If nvidia works, then I'll go with it.
I've just looked into this EVGA GeForce Video Card .
Am I on the right track? Will I be disappointed?
Recommendations, please?

I would go with the GTX 560 Ti. They can be had for around $200 after rebates on Newegg. They will play anything you throw at them at full settings at 1080p right now.

+1 GTX 560 TI AND Radeon HD 6950.

If those are over your budget, the next group down would be GTX 460 and Radeon HD 6850/6870. I run a 6850 now, OC'd (with stock cooler). It can run pretty much anything I throw at it at max settings at 1080p. It doesn't break any FPS records, but it runs smooth enough for me. It also runs cool and is very power efficient which I prefer. However, there's not telling if the next years worth of games are going to play as well on it.

The rest of my build is mostly set but the video card research is giving me a headache. I need a card that:
-is great for single 1080 display (22-24"); no Eyefinity ever
-hopefully last a year (max settings; DX11)
-won't get too hot/have fans too loud
-not too expensive ($120-$200 range)
Games I'll be playing (current and upcoming): Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, Batman: AC, Resident Evil... I've no interest in Crysis series at all.
My cpu will be 1090t

I see no reason why you would need anything faster than a single 6850 ($160) or a 6870 ($190). For newer games in a year... If your board supports xfire then these things scale like a beast. Xfire 6870 is a lot faster than a single gtx580. Don't feed into the xfire is buggy hype. It is very mature and if the game doesn't support it, it probably runs great on a single card anyways.

If you can find a used 570 I would probably go that route.. I thought just 1 was fine.. But last nite I traded some spare hardware for another one, SLi with these is just absolutely disgusting. I love it :thup:

A year is a very reasonable estimate. I would bite the nail and go GTX 570. While the GTX 560 ti is reasonably close in framerate, and you only plan to game at 1920x1080, SLI'ing is a pure waste of money unless you plan to have multiple monitors.. A single 570 while is not quite as fast as two 560 ti's, it WILL run every single game for the next two years at LEAST(depending on how fast tech improves.) at max settings with 40+ fps at that resolution.

As the host post said, He does not plan to use eyefinity/NVIDIA equiv.

If your range is truely $160-$200, then try to get an Open box deal or Recertifieds, you can make a killer deal with those.

My answer stays the same, Bite the nail if you can afford it, and get a 570, or 6870 as they suggested.

+#1: run the fan at 30% or so, stays quiet, and cool enough(70c or so)
+#2: Not very intensive on power requirements, a 500 watt will be sufficiant.

-=Bit expensive.

A good Deal: EVGA Geforce 560 Ti DS. its $219.98 after rebate.

Don't go for a 465. Bare minimum would be the GTX 560(non TI) which fits your range perfectly.

Last edited:
560ti and 6870 are very close in performance (ti wins slightly), but the 560ti is quite a bit more expensive. Also Metro2033 will not run on a single 560ti or single 6870 max settings so the future is already here.

Metro was pretty poorly optimized. Besides, you can't expect to run every game at max with only $200 as your max price, that's why I said the 570 would be your best bet. And you can play metro at about 27 fps average which is manageable, just drop anti-ailising down a bit, and it will be 36-40.

:D

By the way, max settings is 1920x1080 for him.

for example,

This guy is also using a I7 920 1366, so you can see a higher performance at say 4.2 ghz oc on the 2600k

Last edited:
Metro was pretty poorly optimized. Besides, you can't expect to run every game at max with only $200 as your max price, that's why I said the 570 would be your best bet. And you can play metro at about 27 fps average which is manageable, just drop anti-ailising down a bit, and it will be 36-40.

:D

By the way, max settings is 1920x1080 for him.

Eh, well its a price thing at that point. A 570 is like $315 whereas a single 6870 is $200. $100 more then you have dual 6870's which is like 15%-30% faster than a single gtx 580. Dual 6850 for only $160 a piece and you have more power than a 570 for a similiar price. 6870 still maxes all current games (except metro2033) which you just have to drop dx11 FOR dx9 and down the AA to 0. I just think the 6850 AND 6870 are the price/performance kings right now, especially in xfire.

Ive been over ATI/Nvidia benchmarks like crazy before i bought this card lol.

6950 is around the same price as gtx560ti and can be flashed to 6970, which will outperform 560 significantly, 6950 has been the best bang for the buk for the last 6 months or so.

Back