• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] Gnosis Episode 2 - MMO Gaming/Video editing Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm sure a few people saw my original Gnosis modding project that I posted here and else where on the web. Unfortunately due to some hardware and game compatibility issues Gnosis was dismantled, but it was not forgotten.(Actually I don't know if many people here on overclockers.com saw my original Gnosis build.)

This time around I am returning to building PCs and re-purposing my ideas and hardware utilized for Gnosis, and creatined

Gnosis Episode 2, my MMORPG and Video editing designed aircooled PC.
Based on the same principles of Gnosis's original design, Gnosis Episode 2 will retain some of its past influnces, but this time in a full fledged designed to spec desktop form factor.

Build name Origin
Gnosis in Greek is a feminine word meaning "Knowledge." Knowledge is what allows someone to design a PC specifically around the details that they wish to optimize for. Being a feminine word and I myself am female, the name is fitting for the project.
Gnosis Episode 2, is a reference back to Xenosaga Series, which held each installement in an Episodic designation. And as each game built upon what the last had made, and KOSMOS was revamped per episode, Episode 2 in reflection of where the name Gnosis was originally inspired in the first place, seemed rather fitting.
Gnosis is also the name of the Etheral like enemies of the Xenosaga series.
Paying homage to one of my favorite game series of all time.

Design Aspects
Gnosis Ep2 is designed around 2 core interests, Playing MMORPGs and effective Video editing.

A core i7 5820K, hexcore 12 threads provides a CPU designed fantastically for video editing applications.
It also provides access to great overclocking, which is advantageous for MMORPG players.
MMORPGs are heavily limited to non multicore utilizing single thread heavy game engines, and game behaviors that require very high single core performance.
A Haswell-E CPU overclocked provides both fantastic single core performance and plenty of threads for video editing.

R9 290X AMD GPU for Eyefinity and OpenCL workstation applications. Fantastic high resolution performance, and game compatibility.

5 drives, Tri-Drive Core, 2 dedicated Recording.
The Tri-Drive system I originally created for my laptop. This system involves 2 SSDs and 1 mass storage HDD.
1 SSD is dedicated purely to Windows Boot OS operations, The other SSD is a dedicated Caching drive via Intel Rapid Storage Technologies(Intel SRT). This design is cost effective at creating extremely high capacity, and high speed operation. A dedicated Boot drive keeps OS and general functions off the Caching, and allows the Data drive to be fully cached by Intel SRT. Frequently played games load at SSD speed, but the drive capacity is that of available hard drives.
This design makes it very easy to reinstall the OS if ever needed without ever having personal data altered or touched in anyway.

Adding to this design of Speed and high capacity is now 2 new drives, a pair of 3 TB drives in Raid 0.
These drives are dedicated recording devices.
Meant to allow higher write speeds beyond the limitations of a single mass storage device, and maintaining high capacity and cost effectiveness versus attempting to reach comparable capacity with SSDs.
Storage array diagram below.
2QZVqE7.png

Specs and Parts.
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K, 6 Cores 12 Threads
Heatsink/TIM: Zalman CNPS 9900MAX LGA2011 135mm Fan dual Tower, Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound X spread method.
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus
RAM: Kingston Hyper X FURY 16GB DDR4 2133mhz Quad Channel memory. DIMM 1 3 7 5 Quad Channel Slots.
GPU: VisionTek AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5, Dual Fan design. (Provided by Alienware.)
PSU: Seasonic M12 II EVO 750Watt Bronze Plus Modular.
Storage Devices: 2x 120GB Kingston SSD Now V300, 1x 4TB 7200RPM Red HGST Hard Drive, 2x 3TB(To be determined). 1 OS Boot, 1 Mass Storage, 1 Caching, 2=1 Dedicated Raid 0 recording device.
Case: NZXT Phantom 530, Modified.

Shout out and thanks.

A big thank you to Alienware for the 290X. Alienware gave me a 290X for the previous Gnosis build for an exhibit of hardware expansion and possiblities.
Alienware has been a pretty fantastic company to me and I got to meat Frank Azor and other Alienware Staff at PAX Prime. After some chitchat, they decided to help me out. So a big thanks to Alienware for the graphics card, as it was the original push needed for me to start Gnosis Episode 2.

Thanks to my friend Jeremy whom works at Intel and got me a deal on an i7 5820K, got it at half the price.
A big thanks to my friend Zack for buying some of the parts for me as well!

Pictures and Build Progression
*Some images are from the original Gnosis design.*

The parts of Gnosis Episode 2
Rigmnba.jpg
Hard drives weren't here for testing phase, but everything else needed was. Lets get this show on the road.

The Case
K51dSAD.jpg

Drive Bay modification
yTKVFHl.jpg

tpYDGoM.jpg

The drive bay movement was for efficiency of space reasons. Original Gnosis had it's expansion hard drive storage in the 5.25 bay. So taking after it's previous design and moving a 3 Drive cage into the 5.25 bay is a carry over design aspect for Gnosis Episode 2.
This design opens the case for air flow options and moves the hard drives into cooling air streams.

The 5.25 converted Bay has it's own dedicated 120mm fan, on it's own power for higher speed than the USB device can provide.

Fan Modification

kD62W31.jpg

dmlKEjW.jpg

a1jqezS.jpg

9EQjocM.jpg

Eventually All of these fans will eventually be replaced by Noctua's new Aseries fans which are faster, quieter and better looking IMO. These are all mock up fans for now.
I will replace the Front 200mm Fan with a Noctua if they release a new a series 200mm Fan as well.

This USB Powered fan design is a carry over from the original Gnosis build. It has proven to move air at a respectable pace and maintain a quiet noise level. However there is a Fan hub in the case if this system proves to be less desirable in the future.

Installed the power supply and bench is cleared for Testing phase.

AnF8lNu.jpg

Boot test passed. All systems go.
iYFnbrN.jpg

Overhead view of the parts installed.
zbcnOpr.jpg

First Game testing, Guild Wars 2. My Norn looking pretty and showing off what this 290X and i7 can do.

SI4kVr3.jpg

CPU Overclocking testing
http://valid.canardpc.com/zc64zh
niZcwTH.png
4.5ghz gaming overclock.

Next phase Continues here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Workstation?p=7843812&viewfull=1#post7843812

Powerstrip USB power change here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Workstation?p=7843921&viewfull=1#post7843921

Following Phase after that here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Workstation?p=7848614&viewfull=0#post7848614

Last edited:
2nd phase update of Gnosis Episode 2
Data Drive
ZVgPm0W.jpg
It came in a very robust metalitic bag.
nibtk2t.jpg

This modded placement for the front wall drive cage is actually very difficult to access.
Here's how it works though.
5aUngC8.jpg
Foward floor air injection fan needs to be removed
0IDxWhE.jpg
Reach from the air access to the drive caddy and pull it's tabs into the access.
6MCMpSU.jpg
Mount the Hard Drive in the caddy.
3G8Ejnc.jpg
Angle and move the caddy+drive back into place. (note, it can't fit through the fan access, it has to be transfered into the case via the side door then maneuvered into the fan access until it lines up.
uiKQ8uT.jpg
In it goes. Locks into place due to NZXT tooless caddy and bay design.
dZXtJYV.jpg
Fan replaced onto the acess.
2nSizyU.jpg
Dust cover replaced.
eqQaucF.jpg
SSD in the same caddy.
AXLJjGy.jpg

Now here's some vanity shots of the internal components as it goes together for proper TIM application.

Zalman CNPS 9900MAX, a very pretty Shroudless CPU cooler that's definitely a nice choice for gaming with an overclocked CPU. It keeps this i7 5820K at 4.5ghz OC around 65~>70C during gaming.
FXqFUHz.jpg
yMaZl2K.jpg
uSefscL.jpg
m2O1aiZ.jpg

16GB Quad Channel DDR4 2133mhz HyperX FURY by Kingston.
yUKJzxG.jpg
tGHibxo.jpg
0OWETGU.jpg

Contiuning with the Shroudless appearance, I removed the 290X's shroud. The shroud didn't affect cooling at all.
U51yeNC.jpg
E041c18.jpg
B2iE2QJ.jpg
JmZM6LY.jpg
rzo7RBn.jpg
f828HWk.jpg
11HQXxp.jpg

Internals of Gnosis Episode 2, assembled inside the case, booted, tested and operational.
UiUj6R5.jpg
Wallpaper of Windows 7 OS Tan Nanami Madobe building a PC on the monitor.
Dhfwktn.jpg
Internal power strip. I am not sure exactly where to route the power cables, but it sits there in that position very nicely.
Y9Jb55m.jpg

Vanity pics
WA2va9L.jpg
R9LRDcx.jpg

Back on the desk for Data migration and waiting 2 more 3TB Drives for Raid0 configuration.
4hyBtK7.jpg

I'm........ confused.

Why is there a power strip INSIDE YOUR TOWER?! That's a HUGE safety hazard!
And why is there no shroud on the GPU? It'll make a difference in the case instead of in open air.
Also, I'll be surprised if that cooler can keep your CPU cool while rendering video.

I'm........ confused.

And why is there no shroud on the GPU? It'll make a difference in the case instead of in open air.
Also, I'll be surprised if that cooler can keep your CPU cool while rendering video.

+1 on the power strip.
+-1 on the gpu shroud iirc on the dual fan setups they sometimes make temps worse though i cannot remember nor am i going to bother to look anything up to support this
its a pretty good cooler though i highly doubt it will have any issues at all.

I'm........ confused.

The shroud has no affect on cooling. The shroud's coverage is pretty light and doesn't actually cover any fins.
It sits around 67~72C overclocked to 1100 core, 5900 memory. Plus it's repasted with MX-4.
I gave it a good run to see if it was enough mass and connectivity to pull heat off the heatsink fins, but there's not enough mass contacted to the heatsink to cause it to heat up. It heated up from the hotair.
I took the shroud off because I like the shroudless appearance.

Why is the powerstrip a safety hazard? the strip only supplies the PSU and USB power hub.
If I were to use it for anything more I'd pull it out of the case and set it outside.

Last edited:
Pretty sweet setup there.

All in all, nice build. You will enjoy it without a doubt.:cool:

Thank you. It's coming together quite nicely.

I'm........ confused.

It's great for overclocked gaming it keeps the CPU >75C during games+DXTory recording.
But yeah it's a bit underwhelming for rendering temps.

I'll be modding it with a Noctua 3000 RPM industrial fan though, or depending on the speed of Noctua's new Aseries 140mm fan. It maxes at 1700 RPM.
But at stock voltages and 3.8ghz, it stays 75C or below.
I'm wondering the difference between a Noctua industrial at 3000 RPM vs this standard fan at 1700RPM.
All it takes to swap between video editing OC and gaming OC is a simple profile in XTU.

Last edited:
The shroud has no affect on cooling. The shroud's coverage is pretty light and doesn't actually cover any fins.
It sits around 67~72C overclocked to 1100 core, 5900 memory. Plus it's repasted with MX-4.
I gave it a good run to see if it was enough mass and connectivity to pull heat off the heatsink fins, but there's not enough mass contacted to the heatsink to cause it to heat up. It heated up from the hotair.
I took the shroud off because I like the shroudless appearance.

Why is the powerstrip a safety hazard? the strip only supplies the PSU and USB power hub.
If I were to use it for anything more I'd pull it out of the case and set it outside.

The whole point of having a rear power connection on the PSU is to keep the high voltage outside the case.
You're literally putting 120V of AC power inside a big metal box that can conduct it.

The whole point of having a rear power connection on the PSU is to keep the high voltage outside the case.
You're literally putting 120V of AC power inside a big metal box that can conduct it.

Ah I see, well the major power connector itself is outside of the case.

If there's a way to connect a 5volt USB hub power to a PSU, I'd love to know.

Ah I see, well the major power connector itself is outside of the case.

If there's a way to connect a 5volt USB hub power to a PSU, I'd love to know.

That doesn't matter when there's open power connections inside a metal box.
All it takes is one little connection to that box and your whole case is ready to hit you with 120VAC when you hit the power button or touch the case.

Here's a better question, what are you powering off of the USB hub?

the red wires on your psu cables are 5v :)

So like I could get a USB to DC 5volt cable and wire strip it to Red Black via molex connector?
(this cable) http://www.amazon.com/HDE-3-5mm-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003059FAI

That doesn't matter when there's open power connections inside a metal box.
All it takes is one little connection to that box and your whole case is ready to hit you with 120VAC when you hit the power button or touch the case.

Here's a better question, what are you powering off of the USB hub?
The fan system(except the CPU and 5.25 inch bay fans).

+1 on the risks of high voltage inside the case. 120V AC is dangerous.

+1 on the fan controller

You had mentioned that the 5.25 runs at a higher speed than the other fans powered by the USB device. By design, USB rails output 5V. Are the other fans rated lower than 12V? Sometimes fans have trouble starting at voltages very much lower than their design power.

+1 on the risks of high voltage inside the case. 120V AC is dangerous.

+1 on the fan controller

You had mentioned that the 5.25 runs at a higher speed than the other fans powered by the USB device. By design, USB rails output 5V. Are the other fans rated lower than 12V? Sometimes fans have trouble starting at voltages very much lower than their design power.

The 5.25 bay runs on an internal fan hub. The problem is that the hub runs all the fans at the same speed. There's no variation.
I think I already have some stuff to replace the powerstrip. I'll be back later.

Alright here's this.
This is actually a lot better, because it now opens up the possibility of another 140mm air injection fan on the side panel.
V2wMpQ0.jpg

Noctua is going to get so much money from me in Q4.
3x 120mm A Series, 2x(3x) 140mm A series.

The fan speed between the DC converter box, and the USB hub power is no different. The fans spin at the same speed.
I tried all 4 fans, + a Keyboard and mouse +charging my vape mod all on this hub.
Seem's to be the exact same speed.
Plus the other Hub had to be manually switched on, this one turns on automatically when the PC powers on. So yeah step up from before.

Thanks for the input everyone, more ideas better designs.

Plus the other Hub had to be manually switched on, this one turns on automatically when the PC powers on. So yeah step up from before.

Thanks for the input everyone, more ideas better designs.

Having the cooling system on automatically is priceless.

Thanks for sharing also. the storage subsystem is well though out for your usage.

The use of the USB distribution hub tripped an idea for me as well. I have several smaller offices that have server room in a box cabinets as well as datacenter installations in multiple cabinets. The major issue is that the installations are usually in darker areas and the inside of the cabinets are always black. This leads to using a flashlight for normal work and impairing efficiency. If I were to use a powered hub, I should be able to hang strips of LEDs to provide light while working inside the cabinets and retaining the requisite wiring cleanliness.

Back