• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal pads for stock XFX 8800GTS heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MastarPete

Hi, I took the heat sink off of my 8800GTS (320MB) to dust it out and some of the thermal material XFX used on the memory and power regs became too mangled/messy to reuse. it's some kind of greasy putty with like a nylon mesh.
I'm wondering what would be appropriate to use as a replacement.
Otherwise, I'd be interested in getting a 3rd party heat sink if anyone knows of one that's still being sold that will fit within the original's 2 slot configuration.
Thanks

Hi. I have the same card and had to bake it after it started to artifact. The baking worked great and gave me a chance to clean the card. I ended up taking most of the thermal pad off and used some thermal grease I had around. Just make sure the heat sink fits tight and then use some tim you might have. In my case I think it was some Zalman that came with a Performa HSF. Afterward it ran great and stayed cool. In fact ran cooler after the cleaning and new tim. Still runs fine.

8800gts1b.jpg

Last edited:
yeah I was thinking of using the IC7 diamond paste I have. but I'm a little concerned about the bit of a gap I saw between the power regs when I removed the stock material and did a dry fit. makes me wonder what other areas have gaps and if its too big to just fill with paste and hope the heat still gets transferred properly.
In your picture the gap I saw was at the top, to the left of the capacitors by the power connector.

In absence of thermal pad, the tim worked great. Temps were lower and more stable after the cleaning and baking. I oced the bleep out of it and it has 8.8(down from 11.1) points on HWBot in 3DMark06. Even oced it runs cooler than before I took it apart. For me it worked out fine to use thermal paste and in fact I'm well satisfied with the way it turned out. Here is a ss of an oc and 3dmark06. Also baked card with control solder. I thought I had a ss of temps but can't find them. 36c rings a bell; I do have 5 case fans and open case.

3dm06_ss.JPG 8800gtsbaked1b.jpg

Back